Sources: Thunder, Carmelo Anthony to part ways this summer | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Sources: Thunder, Carmelo Anthony to part ways this summer

Exactly. We’ve seen that. He’s going into his 16th(!!!) season. B-ball wise he is ancient. He doesn’t need to be the man and his body probably isn’t up to it more than once a week anyways. Get him on a contender that will let him play to his strengths - just in fewer minutes- rather than try to make him something he’s not.
Melo needs to realize this too though. He probably starts on Houston and takes Ariza's spot but, if he wants LA, he's probably not starting unless Lebron starts coaching the team.

Melo needs to realize this too though. He probably starts on Houston and takes Ariza's spot but, if he wants LA, he's probably not starting unless Lebron starts coaching the team.

I think starting is fine, if it’s best for the team. Hopefully he’d get off that “not coming off the bench” if needed though. I could understand it in OKC...because they weren’t exactly loaded with talent after the very top of the roster.

Starting in Houston vs. starting on a mediocre team are different workloads though. In Houston even if he starts he’s still a complimentary piece...though unlike OKC hopefully they’d ride him when he’s hot. That’s a different toll on him than carrying the load every night like he did in NY.

always wanted to see old nemesis carmelo and lebron share same jersey same rock.

I don't see Melo taking Arizas spot in the lineup. That would kill the Houston defense

I just dont see how Carmelo will be effective anywhere getting heavy minutes. He is good in short spurts at this point but if he gets starters minutes, his legs will be gone again by March. If he does get the starting gig somewhere , it would be best if it were just a token start and then gets more second team minutes. I doubt Houston will take him. They either want you to play D..or shoot 3's...ideally both. I dont see Melo as being particularly adept at either.

I am a bit torn. Do I want to see him go to a championship caliber team and likely play a diminished role or go to a mediocre team and be the man? Honestly, I think I'd like to see him break loose and go off on a scoring run and be on a team that might not contend for a championship but at least go to the playoffs.

Melo will never be the man again. He is in the twilight of his career and cannot be more than second fiddle, and that may be pushing it. Different league and injuries have robbed him. He has had a great career and nothing to feel sorry about. Non endorsement earnings of a quarter of a billion+ says great player in a lot of peoples eyes.

I am a bit torn. Do I want to see him go to a championship caliber team and likely play a diminished role or go to a mediocre team and be the man? Honestly, I think I'd like to see him break loose and go off on a scoring run and be on a team that might not contend for a championship but at least go to the playoffs.
I'd rather see him win a championship. We've seen him be a scoring champion on a team that couldn't contend. Seeing him in a diminished role on a team that had a chance to win would be fine for me. Maybe he gets hot a game or two in the playoffs and we see a glimpse of the young Melo before he has to hang em up.

Melo in LA makes more sense than it seems despite being crowded. Kuzma and Ingram are rail thin and have zero big game experience as is the case across the Lakers roster aside from Rondo and LeBron and to an extent Lance. Melo could play the Paul Pierce role and be a needed scoring option not afraid of the moment. Also the reason that Melo did so well in the FIBA setting is in large part because he had a team full of facilitators. He has regressed no doubt with age. With LeBron, Rondo and Ball he has the guys around him to let him do what he still can which is score. I think it's a good mutual fit and wirb all that youth he can play a major role but for 30 min a game.

Melo in LA makes more sense than it seems despite being crowded. Kuzma and Ingram are rail thin and have zero big game experience as is the case across the Lakers roster aside from Rondo and LeBron and to an extent Lance. Melo could play the Paul Pierce role and be a needed scoring option not afraid of the moment. Also the reason that Melo did so well in the FIBA setting is in large part because he had a team full of facilitators. He has regressed no doubt with age. With LeBron, Rondo and Ball he has the guys around him to let him do what he still can which is score. I think it's a good mutual fit and wirb all that youth he can play a major role but for 30 min a game.

I think Melo sharing the ball with LeBron will be a bad combination.

I see Brooklyn.

I just dont see how Carmelo will be effective anywhere getting heavy minutes. He is good in short spurts at this point but if he gets starters minutes, his legs will be gone again by March. If he does get the starting gig somewhere , it would be best if it were just a token start and then gets more second team minutes. I doubt Houston will take him. They either want you to play D..or shoot 3's...ideally both. I dont see Melo as being particularly adept at either.

Houston wanted him last year. A trade was very close to happening.

Ariza is not with Houston anymore.

I know, I'm saying if Melo goes to Houston, I don't see him starting in the role Ariza had.

Houston wanted him last year. A trade was very close to happening.

I know, doesn't that seem so long ago? He's not even the player he was 12 months ago when Houston was trying to get him, but based on the reports, they are interested in him. I have to admit, it's a little surprising to me

I see Brooklyn.

Or maybe melo can retire. Would make a whole lot of NBA fans, Cuse fans or not, happy it seems these days.

Last edited:
With Dantoni as the coach? Sorry, dont see that happening!

It would have happened last year. The Knicks squashed the trade over Ryan Anderson’s inclusion.

Melo will choose where he wants to go and there’s most likely zero contending teams that wouldn’t take him and find a role for him on a vet min.

It would have happened last year. The Knicks squashed the trade over Ryan Anderson’s inclusion.
I wasn't buying it then. Never happened; and I'm not buying it now, unless they give him real money.

I wasn't buying it then; Never happened; and I'm not buying it now, unless they give him real money.
He doesn’t need real money, he’s getting paid by OKC if they buy him out/stretch.

He doesn’t need real money, he’s getting paid by OKC if they buy him out/stretch.
A move to Houston is good for the offseason 'Melo & NBA narratives... "Fan friendly , aging ISO scoring machine moves to a contender"...

I see Brooklyn.
Disagree.
LeBron dominates the ball but more effectively than did Westbrook. He’d set up Melo to take full advantage of whatever he has left in the tank. There’s also the respect factor. LBJ is always “The Alpha” on the floor. Melo will do whatever he asks to finally get a ring. Westbrook & “Playoff Paul” were both proven to be fugazy under the big lights. LBJ has been there, done that. It’d be a good fit, IMO.

Disagree.
LeBron dominates the ball but more effectively than did Westbrook. He’d set up Melo to take full advantage of whatever he has left in the tank. There’s also the respect factor. LBJ is always “The Alpha” on the floor. Melo will do whatever he asks to finally get a ring. Westbrook & “Playoff Paul” were both proven to be fugazy under the big lights. LBJ has been there, done that. It’d be a good fit, IMO.

Agreed. LBJ’s court vision is and has been as good as anybody.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom