Sparty fires Mel Tucker / hires Jonathan Smith | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Sparty fires Mel Tucker / hires Jonathan Smith

That program is a trainwreck, they are worse than Northwestern right now. Speaking of Northwestern, I hope everyone saw that they overcame a 31-10 4th quarter deficit and beat Minnesota last weekend. Made me laugh.

Anyway, will be interesting to see who goes into the portal and jumps off the sinking ship. Guessing they will end up settling with Tucker, he will litigate it as far as it can go and they will inevitably want to move on
If they're smart, they'll let tucker file his suit, push the initial court date into the off season for major sports and then pay him off.

So...one of the things I've had experience with in my career is arbitration over employee terminations. And a key takeaway is that all that matters is making the termination stick -because the counsel for the employee is going to be very skilled at taking minimal facts, sometimes over multiple years - and assembling them in a way that make the company and many of the individuals involved in the termination (sometimes including me) look absolutely terrible. So I never got upset about being characterized as an unethical dope lacking in any managerial skill - because its just part of the process. If the termination stuck, we'd won and I could get over that character assassination fairly quickly.

The difference in cases like this is there's huge incentive for the terminated party to leak things to the public - so its not just one lone arbitrator who has heard it all before anyway hearing what a sleezeball the managers are - its the entire public. And not to put too fine a point on it - the public at large is incredibly gullible and stupid. Maybe MSU thought going in the inevitable bad PR Tucker was going to generate was less monetary value than just paying off the rest of his contract...now would be an excellent time for them to start to reconsider that calculus.

I remain convinced that Tucker is going to get paid the full value of his contract - this looked like a really flimsy case to me from the beginning that I wouldn't have been excited about taking to arbitration. The only thing in question is how bad will MSU look once this is all said and done.

God reading her talk about Tucker contract and how much she loves money makes me sick to my stomach

Seems a lot of posts in here didn't age well. This trial by media stuff needs to stop.

It won’t stop until companies and universities stop caving to the immediate outcry and actually do their jobs. In this case they should have held firm, told the media that matters like this take a lot of due diligence to investigate, there was a hearing in October and they would determine the right course of action after that. Then ignored the continued outcry, because people are basically toddlers - if you ignore them long enough they’ll get bored and go away.

Instead they caved to the pressure, made a hasty decision in hopes that would make everything better - but unsurprisingly, it did not.

You cannot be a leader if you lack a spine; we have a huge number of spineless “leaders” in the country right now. This is just another example of that.

After reading through this thread Dino’s warts don’t look nearly as big as before Mel Tucker happened.

That said does Oregon State even have a schedule for next year?

They’ve been really good the last couple seasons their players will likely end up on Big Ten teams next year regardless.

That said does Oregon State even have a schedule for next year?

They’ve been really good the last couple seasons their players will likely end up on Big Ten teams next year regardless.

I believe they are finalizing or have finalized a scheduling agreement with the Mountain West for next year.