St Rose Postgame thoughts | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

St Rose Postgame thoughts

Will he get those calls in the NBA? Just wondering.
It definitely lot flopping, but he falls a lot. With Giannis instead of D-II center, i'm not sure he'll even get there.

The past two teams compiled the worst records in Syracuse history in 50 years. If we only win 5 games this season, that would be an abject failure. Do I expect us to win the national title or go to a Final Four this season? No. But we have the talent and athleticism to make some noise and make the tourney. Even Red is saying we need to get back to our historical Orange standards.
Here is the thing though... As of now are we seeing enough player improvement across the board?

Based on yesterday Judah looks like the same player as last year... which isn't a bad thing. I hope we see more of a perimeter threat though.

JJ looks like a stud athlete who can't shoot. Is he really going to replace JoeyG's offensive output?

Naheem is definitely a downgrade from Jesse

Taylor/Bell have hopefully improved

Lets call Malik an improvement

Let's say Benny has improved

I think while we will have taken decent step forwards in some place we have two taken pretty two large steps backwards with the loss JG3 and Edwards.

Even if those two just balance out or we are slightly positive for this year is that enough to go from one of the worst SU teams in recent memory to a tournament team?

My biggest concern after these first exhibitions is the team can't shoot and whether it can be be functional in a half court setting. I'm not seeing the plan on D to make up for the step backwards we are going to take on offense.

Here is the thing though... As of now are we seeing enough player improvement across the board?

Based on yesterday Judah looks like the same player as last year... which isn't a bad thing. I hope we see more of a perimeter threat though.

JJ looks like a stud athlete who can't shoot. Is he really going to replace JoeyG's offensive output?

I think while we will have taken decent step forwards in some place we have two taken pretty two large steps backwards with the loss JG3 and Edwards.

Even if those two just balance out or we are slightly positive for this year is that enough to go from one of the worst SU teams in recent memory to a tournament team?

My biggest concern after these first exhibitions is the team can't shoot and whether it can be be functional in a half court setting. I'm not seeing the plan on D to make up for the step backwards we are going to take on offense.
Starling can easily replace Joe's production when you consider the defensive liability that Joe was. But, JJ definitely has to get his shot straightened out. And, the one three Judah took from the corner looked awful. It's like he doesn't know how to square up, he points his shoulder at the rim or something.

Joe's defense and limitations as a ball handler need to be called out if we are going to point to what we lost in him transferring. What we lost was offensive output and 3 pt shooting but we also have to be honest that we don't know how two players who spent 4 years playing zone and heavy minutes would translate to a new system.

We really do need to let this play out and look for improvement game to game. We've analyzed to death two exhibitions that both lacked a complete roster so far.

judah pulled out of the draft. why ? i'd guess he was told he needs to be better from outside. he scored 20 pts last night. great. 14 from the ft line.
i would think he'd be showcasing his improved jumper over his drive.
we all know he can get into the lane and flop. saw it last year. if he wants to get himself in the draft he best develop an outside threat. and pass the ball.

I worry that Benny and Bell will be wildly inconsistent with their shooting and their defense won’t gel until we’ve already lost a bunch of games.
How will Bell and Justin respond to supertight defense? It's early, but I get the feeling, Judah, and Mcleod will be the biggest reason we get to 55-60ppg, making up half of that alone; with little to no 3-point shooting. Benny has rediculous athleticism and seniority, he's got the longest range of uncertainty by a mile at this point.

New coach, new members of the staff, lost two of our three best players from last year, we could definitely be bad. Everything is new to everyone, players, coaches, and not sure we replaced what we lost to be better.
Your post got me thinking would we be any better if we still had Joe? He definitely would make a difference in our 3 point shooting but not sure where he could play with this team. In no way am I trying to put down what Joe did for us over 4 years but it helps me to reflect on comparing the pluses and minuses of this team from the last couple of years. I am excited to see where this team with many things new will take us. When we add in the improvement we should get from playing games together, I am hoping it will be enough to get us to the show.

I’m not as worried as others. We’ll be fine and be very good and yes we’ll make the NCAA’s. We have plenty of players returning but we have many new players too and it’ll take some time to acclimate to each other. We played the 1st exhibition without Judah and most of the game without Brown. We played the 2nd one without Brown and Benny, our two PFs. Hopefully everyone is available these next 3 games and they can start to gel and everyone learns their role. The talent is there.

Overall meh… performance . Best player on the court for either team was Turkish dude who couldn’t hack playing at Maine

Best player for either team? Lol no.

I’m not saying he is the best player overall. Just that last night he was

...are we seeing enough player improvement across the board?
I understand and can see why you have these concerns.
But it is...uhhhh...EARLY!!??:)

Judah, Benny and Malik have missed 1 game each of the 2 exhibition games.
I think by after the Colgate game,,CUSE will look alot better.

What were his thoughts?

He was basically saying that when refs have games with certain players who are known for certain on-court behaviors, the refs talk before the game about how much of that stuff to let go, or where to look to see whether or not one player gained an advantage over the other. Not so much "watch out for this guy, he's a flopper", because Satalin was saying that many of these calls are warranted. It was more like, "we're going to have a busy night with these calls, so they talk about what they should look for before the game." Judah's on the list this year. That's how I took it.

I think if Red wanted to, he could have had Judah or JJ find Naheem like five more times for dunks. They couldnt cover him inside. Instead I think Red wanted to see what else they could do. The Turk had a good game, but he was the best player on their team. That's it. Not overall.

It's really way to early to be having these conversations. I mean, it's a new staff and practices only just started a few weeks ago. There is a lot to un-do and reintroduce.

He had the best stats sure but that's it( only guy that played 40 mins). He hit open shots but was awful on defense and simply ensured St Rose didn't lose by 50.

I’m not as worried as others. We’ll be fine and be very good and yes we’ll make the NCAA’s. We have plenty of players returning but we have many new players too and it’ll take some time to acclimate to each other. We played the 1st exhibition without Judah and most of the game without Brown. We played the 2nd one without Brown and Benny, our two PFs. Hopefully everyone is available these next 3 games and they can start to gel and everyone learns their role. The talent is there.

I agree; there is a lot of young talent, and they can find many ways to contribute. But they have to get used to playing together, and also get used to a new system, plus guys have been missing. It's going to take a little time. But they will be going into the deep end of the pool really quickly. Our outside shooting has to be adequate or we're going to have a hard time out in Hawaii against elite talent.

I agree; there is a lot of young talent, and they can find many ways to contribute. But they have to get used to playing together, and also get used to a new system, plus guys have been missing. It's going to take a little time. But they will be going into the deep end of the pool really quickly. Our outside shooting has to be adequate or we're going to have a hard time out in Hawaii against elite talent.

It's not Maui and the tiny gym but generally speaking the smaller gym hopefully can help with shooting as well

judah pulled out of the draft. why ? i'd guess he was told he needs to be better from outside. he scored 20 pts last night. great. 14 from the ft line.
i would think he'd be showcasing his improved jumper over his drive.
we all know he can get into the lane and flop. saw it last year. if he wants to get himself in the draft he best develop an outside threat. and pass the ball.

I think he was also told that he needs to show more in terms of creating easy baskets for teammates, finding them when they're open.

They don't think he's going to be anybody's primary threat from outside; he only needs to be competent when wide open, so that defenders have to guard him. That's all.

It's not Maui and the tiny gym but generally speaking the smaller gym hopefully can help with shooting as well

Let's hope so! LOL

We could go 0-3 in Hawaii and not mean anything bad. We are playing top teams and like you and others have said, we are new, we have a lot to figure out. Plus Red as a new Head Coach he does as well.

As long as we beat Colgate and Georgetown, we shall see growth throughout the season. And hopefully Westry is back before January.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom