St Rose Postgame thoughts | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

St Rose Postgame thoughts

Agree 144%

People aren't realizing the growing pains of a new coach. JAB, for many years, had Cuse "punching above their weight." No losing seasons. Great seasons with no real NBA talent. As an coach, he was one of the best. Arguably that part only became a liability in the final few years.

Lots of reasons to be optimistic about Red. The offseason of Judah coming back, and transfers was a big win (besides Jesse).

The coaching will take time. We could easily lose 4-5 winnable games as he figures it out. That is reasonable and should be expected.

As a fan, if the team plays hard, and the product is exciting, that is more important. That is what will attract recruits and keep Cuse relevant.
This is the right take. I’m not sure saying “losing 3 of your best players” automatically makes you worse when the team last year was garbage. We will severely miss Jesse that can’t be stated enough, however the talent is there for this team to be better than last year if the coaching is okay, if they play as a team, if they reach their potentials and buy in, etc. we’re going to have growing pains, blips, etc but if we show growth, effort, an don’t bore us to sleep then it’s a step in the right direction. This team doesn’t have to have a better record this year to be considered “better” in our eyes.

judah pulled out of the draft. why ? i'd guess he was told he needs to be better from outside. he scored 20 pts last night. great. 14 from the ft line.
i would think he'd be showcasing his improved jumper over his drive.
we all know he can get into the lane and flop. saw it last year. if he wants to get himself in the draft he best develop an outside threat. and pass the ball.

He's not flopping. He over sells contact occasionally( you have to anymore) but going to the floor isn't a flop for him. When you are as creative with body control when attacking- falling is often a better way to go than trying to awkwardly land on your feet all the time. That can be the difference between a bruise and a torn ACL etc. Obviously if you are 50 lbs heavier either one can do more than enough damage but Judah is not.

With that said.. the baseline drives he should keep to a minimum given a miss and its almost automatically 5 on 4 or 4 on 3 the other way.

Our best 3 pt shooter will be JM. He showed it at the end of last year.

Having a winning record would make recruiting easier. Top recruits want a shot at a National Championship, and playing for a legacy coach is icing on the cake.

We are facing an extremely difficult schedule. In the old days we dominated in Maui. It is not easy to comprehend how much times have changed.

Forget the positive / negative terms. Everyone thinks they are realistic. Look at the football team. Anyone who would have posted accurately would have been called negative.

Having a winning record would make recruiting easier. Top recruits want a shot at a National Championship, and playing for a legacy coach is icing on the cake.

We are facing an extremely difficult schedule. In the old days we dominated in Maui. It is not easy to comprehend how much times have changed.

Forget the positive / negative terms. Everyone thinks they are realistic. Look at the football team. Anyone who would have posted accurately would have been called negative.
No, our best shooter is Justin Taylor and I don't think it will be close. Again, maybe it would have helped to watch the exhibition games.

Bell can get the hottest but JT is definitely the best long range guy on the team
JT can’t get as hot as bell? I don’t know about that, Bell only had one game where he hit more than 3 3’s last year.

That was one more than I thought, I don’t remember him doing anything that great last year.

I just don’t understand the shooting legend that Bell has become around here, and I’m not singling you out with this but I don’t know where it’s all coming from, wondering if some posters around here are getting a check from Roc Nation.

Agree 144%

People aren't realizing the growing pains of a new coach. JAB, for many years, had Cuse "punching above their weight." No losing seasons. Great seasons with no real NBA talent. As an coach, he was one of the best. Arguably that part only became a liability in the final few years.

Lots of reasons to be optimistic about Red. The offseason of Judah coming back, and transfers was a big win (besides Jesse).

The coaching will take time. We could easily lose 4-5 winnable games as he figures it out. That is reasonable and should be expected.

As a fan, if the team plays hard, and the product is exciting, that is more important. That is what will attract recruits and keep Cuse relevant.
These are the post-JB years that we all both dreaded & hoped for over the last 5+ seasons.
Our fan base will be tested as we go through the inevitable up and downs of the Red Era. The negatoids, Debbie Downers, and overly optimistic smoke blowers will all make frequent appearances throughout the season, hell even throughout a game.
No worries, though. Im both wary and excited to see a version of SU bball that I have not seen in decades. It'll take time to get there, but damnit...I'm determined to enjoy the ride.

JT can’t get as hot as bell? I don’t know about that, Bell only had one game where he hit more than 3 3’s last year.

That was one more than I thought, I don’t remember him doing anything that great last year.

I just don’t understand the shooting legend that Bell has become around here, and I’m not singling you out with this but I don’t know where it’s all coming from, wondering if some posters around here are getting a check from Roc Nation.

I'm happy to be proven wrong on that. Bell is jekyll and hide as a shooter is all I'm getting at. Like Alan Griffin was and is more willing to take the bad shots out of the flow. JT is a more consistent player in general but to me he's more like Karaban from UConn given everything is within the flow. He's the better player I think though.

I believe we are the only program without a loss in the Maui Invitational.

Regarding last year's shooters.

Mintz knows that he has to show the 3 and he did at the end of last year. Benny was quietly very good from 3. Bell seems to have the tools but lacked the strength. JT was not aggressive. I'm curious to see how they all will play, but I'd put my money on Mintz. He has the most upside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teddy19

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom