Class of 2014 - Stanley Johnson | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Stanley Johnson

If Goodluck is serious about the Orange, look for him to wait until Spring '14 for Rak to make a decision/See what happens with DC2. If both stay, doesn't seem like he'd want to enter a log jam for minutes.

It's not like we're hurting at forward, even after CJ moves on. If we take CMac, KJ and Goodluck for 14, we're loaded front and back.

Goodluck is a center, but we'll have Roberson and Johnson too, unless that's who you meant by KJ.

I have good expectations for Silent G at the 2 spot. If BJ can beat him out eventually then that means we're going to be scary good overall at the guard position. Does anybody think BJ could be a Pauly George type from the Pacers down the line?
That could be a good model for BJ. I would love to revisit that comparison in about two years and see how they compare.

Goodluck is a center, but we'll have Roberson and Johnson too, unless that's who you meant by KJ.

Ya, I meant that Goodluck and CMac would give us depth on the frontline ("front and back"). And KJ is Kaleb Joseph (it looks like we have a shot to get him).

In my lineup, I have BJ playing the 2, and Roberson playing the 3, with CMac and Grant anchoring the PF spot. Obviously, there's some versatility there and JB could move guys around.

Im interested in any thoughts/corrections, etc that you might have.

Ya, I meant that Goodluck and CMac would give us depth on the frontline ("front and back"). And KJ is Kaleb Joseph (it looks like we have a shot to get him).

In my lineup, I have BJ playing the 2, and Roberson playing the 3, with CMac and Grant anchoring the PF spot. Obviously, there's some versatility there and JB could move guys around.

You didn't mention Patterson and I think he is someone everyone is vastly under-rating. He might not ever start for us but I feel like he is going to be a key player coming off the bench because of the defense/size/athleticism he can provide at the top of the zone. I can see him being an instant energy guy that the crowd will love and will be a pain in the a$$ for the guards on opposing teams.

Forgetting Patterson.

Yes, thanks, correct by edit. I should have had "Beast" and "Buss" in the SF slot. Not sure Patterson can play there, but no room at the Inn at the SG spot.

Badly want us to land KJ. Kid's got skills, and seems like he has the heart of a tiger, Dion-like guts.

You didn't mention Patterson and I think he is someone everyone is vastly under-rating. He might not ever start for us but I feel like he is going to be a key player coming off the bench because of the defense/size/athleticism he can provide at the top of the zone. I can see him being an instant energy guy that the crowd will love and will be a pain in the a$$ for the guards on opposing teams.
He's got him there, just a disconnect with the nickname (he meant "Buss" not "Beast" in the wing slot behind Roberson).
Edit will be coming shortly. :)

Definitely not. I'm getting giddy thinking about our (potential) 14 lineup:

PG - Ennis (soph) with KJ (fr) backing up (potentially ridiculous backcourt).
SG - MG (trans/jr.)/BJ(soph), leaving TC possibly fighting for minutes as a junior.
SF - Roberson (soph), Buss (soph) (fixed by edit, thx tee)
PF - Grant (junior), CMac era begins
C - DC2 (jr), Rak (sr.) if he doesn't explode/leave, Obokoh as a RS Frosh, Goodluck Comes in.

Please chime in with corrections, observations.
Yup, going off this list as it seems pretty accurate:
Maybe even flip-flop Buss Patterson with BJ, BJ could be a 3 by '14 and Buss to his more natural SG position?
Otherwise, sounds good by me.

Fixed by edit (Beast plus Buss at the SF spot). Thank you. BTW, do you agree with me putting Buss in at SF? He has size issues at the 3, but I just don't see any room at the 2 in 14 with our current recruiting trajectory.

Yup, going off this list as it seems pretty accurate:
Maybe even flip-flop Buss Patterson with BJ, BJ could be a 3 by '14 and Buss to his more natural SG position?
Otherwise, sounds good by me.
Ok, good point. Scout has BJ at 6'6, which would make him a better candidate for the 3 than Buss.
http://syracuse. /a.z?s=185&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&yr=2013

Francis? (switch Buss/BJ ... so that Buss is at the 2 and BJ at the 3 as Tee is suggesting)?

Fixed by edit (Beast plus Buss at the SF spot). Thank you. BTW, do you agree with me putting Buss in at SF? He has size issues at the 3, but I just don't see any room at the 2 in 14 with our current recruiting trajectory.
Yes agree with what Tee said...Buss will be exclusively 2 and maybe a few mins at 1 if that part of his game develops...BJ will be a mix between 2/3 depending on how is game develops and body fills out

Ok, good point. has BJ at 6'6, which would make him a better candidate for the 3 than Buss.
http://syracuse. /a.z?s=185&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&yr=2013

Francis? (switch Buss/BJ ... so that Buss is at the 2 and BJ at the 3 as Tee is suggesting)?
And not to mention, just posted by Bobby, BJ's dad...BJ is now measured at 6'7 1/2.
Psyched for the length at 2, but I feel like he will go from SG frosh to SF soph or junior year.

And not to mention, just posted by Bobby, BJ's dad...BJ is now measured at 6'7 1/2.
Psyched for the length at 2, but I feel like he will go from SG frosh to SF soph or junior year.

Oh, wow, ok. Then he's definitely a 3. I'll make an adjustment in my lineup.

If I weren't at work, Id throw back a beer and salavate over this (possible) lineup for 14. Francis seems to like our chances to get KJ (he's the key). Hammer's already committed, and as pointed out above, I think Goodluck's waiting to see if Rak is still around, which would really crowd the 5 spot with Obokoh being a likely redshirt this year and being ready to play in 14 when Goodluck would come in. This assumes that DC2 (who is looking like a 3 year guy, at least) is still around.

If I weren't at work, Id throw back a beer and salavate over this (possible) lineup for 14. Francis seems to like our chances to get KJ (he's the key). Hammer's already committed, and as pointed out above, I think Goodluck's waiting to see if Rak is still around, which would really crowd the 5 spot with Obokoh being a likely redshirt this year and being ready to play in 14 when Goodluck would come in. This assumes that DC2 (who is looking like a 3 year guy, at least) is still around.
I'm definitely digging with how you have the rotations set. Maybe a few players like Mike G and Buss that I might like more than you. BJ's growth is why I brought up if anybody think he could be a Paul George type. George was 6'8 going into college and ended up being 6'10 now. BJ's Pops think he could be in the 6'9/6'10 range when it's all said n done. Buss is strictly a 2, who I think can help out as an extra ball handler and could possibly spot a few minutes at point if needed. I think BJ will start out as a 2, but once his body fills out he'll be out on the wings. The best thing about BJ is that he'll bring plenty of versatility and JB will have the luxury of playing him in multiple positions, whether it's at guard or wing.

The thing is as fun as these hypothetical lineup things always look in advance they never pan out that way because of people leaving early and/or transferring/other things happening. We said the same thing a couple years ago about this past year where we would have had Dion/Fab back for Junior years (seemed like so after struggling frosh yrs) then both showed the dedication to bodies and team and had solid soph years and were gone. Same goes for years before we lost Flynn, Wes, etc where before they blew up during the season it seemed more than likely they'd be back the following year.

The only real exception to this recently that I can remember was 2 years ago when it seemed like we would be stacked with MCW/Rak/Cooney coming in with a loaded team already of Scoop/Triche/Dion/Fair/Kris/Dirty/Fab/Keita. That was rare occurence because most thought Fab and possibly Dion would be 1 and done going into frosh year and they didn't have the breakout years expected and we already had some top recruits MCW and Rak signed. It was also widely speculated that Scoop/ and or Dion wouldn't be back that following year (some of it out of JB's mouth) and both really matured and stepped up their games for a special year.

So it's fun to speculate what the lineups could look like, but more than likely things will happen and it won't be as we're projecting.

I'm definitely digging with how you have the rotations set. Maybe a few players like Mike G and Buss that I might like more than you. BJ's growth is why I brought up if anybody think he could be a Paul George type. George was 6'8 going into college and ended up being 6'10 now. BJ's Pops think he could be in the 6'9/6'10 range when it's all said n done. Buss is strictly a 2, who I think can help out as an extra ball handler and could possibly spot a few minutes at point if needed. I think BJ will start out as a 2, but once his body fills out he'll be out on the wings. The best thing about BJ is that he'll bring plenty of versatility and JB will have the luxury of playing him in multiple positions, whether it's at guard or wing.

Ok, I appreciate your thoughts about MG and the Buss having some talent. That's good news, because we'll be very raw this year at the 2 and we need outside shooting badly.

As to BJ, I decided to move him over in my rotation to the 3. You may be right that he'll start out playing more like a 2 (in some ways, the same could have been said about Southerland), but with MG, TC and Buss already at the 2, there's no PT available.

At the 3, especially at almost 6'8, I would assume that BJ would back up Roberson ... and JB would look to the two of them to put up numbers similar to what Dirty did at the position.

The thing is as fun as these hypothetical lineup things always look in advance they never pan out that way because of people leaving early and/or transferring/other things happening. We said the same thing a couple years ago about this past year where we would have had Dion/Fab back for Junior years (seemed like so after struggling frosh yrs) then both showed the dedication to bodies and team and had solid soph years and were gone. Same goes for years before we lost Flynn, Wes, etc where before they blew up during the season it seemed more than likely they'd be back the following year.

So it's fun to speculate what the lineups could look like, but more than likely things will happen and it won't be as we're projecting.

So true (that things change). But that's the beauty of the recruiting forum - we get to speculate about what MIGHT happen.

And for sure, my rotation had lots of assumptions that could be questioned:

a- are we able to lock up commitments to KJ, Goodluck and (keep our commitment) from CMac? Obviously, until their LOI's are signed, nothings for sure. But CMac has been a commit for a while now; and from Francis it seems like we lead for KJ. Goodluck, perhaps, is not in the bag. For him, possibly our lineup (Rak?) is a question, recruiting competition from other teams, etc... But even if we're not lucky, we'll have Obokoh coming off a probable redshirt to backup DC2. Not exactly a desparate situation (we'd be better with 3 at the position);

b- I have MG, TC and the buss at the 2. MG is already a transfer .. I don't see him going anywhere. He'll need a year to adjust to the zone, etc.. And TC is definitely in need of some maturity and seasoning ... don't expect him to go anywhere. Similar situation with the buss. Anything's possible, but none of these guys, in my HO, are serious threats to jump or transfer at the end of next year.

c- Forward (SF/PF) is an interesting area. In '14 Roberson will be a sophomore. This year, as a frosh I see him playing behind CJ and Grant in the rotation. Yes he could surprise if he learns to defend in the zone and contributes offensively. However, CJ will likely assume his natural position at the 3. Grant also has experience and is valuable on the glass. So I see those two starting. Either way, I expect Roberson to get minutes and show us what he can do ... although as a frosh it's a stretch to imagine him exploding and jumping after 1 year ... something even Dion couldn't do facing a similar situation (2 experienced players in front of him).

d- At center, my assumption is that DC2 will get 20+ mpg this year, play better on offense and start throwing his weight around. Will his sophomore jump vault him into the NBA ...? Hard to imagine that, especially with a big. Keita's backing up (and playing very well). With so few minutes left, I'm looking for Obokoh to RS unless he's blowing up in practice. That'll mean that in 14, he'll be a RS frosh ... backing up DC2 in all liklihood, when Goodluck is looking to come in. To me, assuming Rak leaves after this year, the 14 center scenario (DC2 the junior starter, Obokoh backing up) would be favorable to Goodluck. He'd have probably 1, but not more than 2, years playing behind DC2 before he could take over the position. If Goodluck's as good as advertised, Obokoh will not be in his way.

For measurement geeks like myself. Here goes the wingspans for the potential 14/15 team.

Guards
Ennis 6'5
Cooney 6'5
Mike G 6'7
Buss 6'10
Joseph?

Wings
BJ 6'9
Roberson 7'1
Grant 7'2
CMac 7'3

Bigs
DC2 7'2
Rak 7'3
Chino? Pretty sure it's over 7ft but I don't have the exact number.

Talk about length with that lineup. th_shaqoohhh.png

For measurement geeks like myself. Here goes the wingspans for the potential 14/15 team

Guards
Ennis 6'5
Cooney 6'5
Mike G 6'7
Buss 6'10
Joseph?

Wings
BJ 6'9
Roberson 7'1
Grant 7'2
CMac 7'3

Bigs
DC2 7'2
Rak 7'3

Talk about length with that lineup.View attachment 3565
If Buss shows the ability to play some point, we could potentially put Buss and BJ at the top of the zone with Rak at center and CMac and Jerami at the forwards, that is sick length.

For measurement geeks like myself. Here goes the wingspans for the potential 14/15 team.

Guards
Ennis 6'5
Cooney 6'5
Mike G 6'7
Buss 6'10
Joseph?

Wings
BJ 6'9
Roberson 7'1
Grant 7'2
CMac 7'3

Bigs
DC2 7'2
Rak 7'3

Talk about length with that lineup.View attachment 3565
Only two things can produce that kind of length: the dream 14 lineup, and:

KU.jpg