Starting Lineup - Any Controversy ??? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Starting Lineup - Any Controversy ???

jack-nicholson-the-shining.jpg
20131101_pjc_bk3_293.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Gold . . . . .all the more so after JB unlocks the cage!

In the land of posters is there much controversy over starting roles? Not much in this thread.

For coaches and players, are the roles set? I doubt it. Gbinije vs Joseph for the starting role at the point will depend on who has improved over the summer, and how they compete in October. BJ led that team in scoring in Estonia (until he was hurt) -- might well be the best option at SF based upon off-season improvement in skills and some added muscle. Unless Robertson has improved a lot in handling, passing and shooting t0 round out his perimeter skills; has he? how much? Which starting combination of forwards actually works best in a JB offense? Who is better head to head -- McCullough or Robertson?

If you have seen these kids play recently, you might have educated guesses. If you are going on what you saw in March and how Joseph played in high school, you might want to use pencil not pen for your opinions. The 2014-15 team, more than many, is a work in progress; and much more than usual depends on the summer improvement of skills, S&C, and ability to compete for new roles.

So, yes, there is "controversy" and competition in September - October. And there should be.

Speaking of Competition, it will be hard fought.. These kids can play and want to play.
[URL='https://vine.co/v/OBFnHx1FtKb[/QUOTE']https://vine.co/v/OBFnHx1FtKb[/URL]

I think that's BJ in the video. The problem with BJ is he's so skinny he gets pushed around a lot. He's has like a 24" waist line. My hope is after a year of working out and hitting the weights all summer he's a little bigger and stronger so he can battle in the trenches. His shooting ability looks great. I just hope he's heavy enough to defend well.

I think that's BJ in the video. The problem with BJ is he's so skinny he gets pushed around a lot. He's has like a 24" waist line. My hope is after a year of working out and hitting the weights all summer he's a little bigger and stronger so he can battle in the trenches. His shooting ability looks great. I just hope he's heavy enough to defend well.
We don't get pushed around Dave, We do the pushing and dropping of the hammer!!:mad::bat:

After re watching some the BJ and Roberson high school mixtapes, I think were going to be fine. There is A LOT of talent returning and they've had a year to learn the defense, get stronger and used to the faster pace of the game. I hope Boeheim does decide to go with the fast offense this year, all the forwards are MADE for that style offense.

After re watching some the BJ and Roberson high school mixtapes, I think were going to be fine. There is A LOT of talent returning and they've had a year to learn the defense, get stronger and used to the faster pace of the game. I hope Boeheim does decide to go with the fast offense this year, all the forwards are MADE for that style offense.

TE on fast break was like watching the game film in reverse.

It was frustrating when we would have numbers on a fast break and he would pull it out and let the defense setup.

It was frustrating when we would have numbers on a fast break and he would pull it out and let the defense setup.

I think JB changed the offense to accommodate TE with doing this. I hope we return back to the busting out the ball on a fast break. I don't think it was TC. I think TE just didn't like pushing the ball up the court very fast. It will be interesting to see who can push up the court the fastest. RP might turn out to be like Dion in this regards.

Anyone remember Wendall Alexis, just an average recruit but one of the best in the business @ crunch time, cant remember how many put backs or O rebounds this fella had . but just goes to show you never know whos going to step up

Cooney and Christmas are guaranteed starters.

Joseph will most likely start but I could see a scenario where Gbinije starts, plays a few minutes, and then Joseph comes in and winds up playing more minutes at the PG position.

Hard to say who'll start at the 3 and 4, I think Roberson has the best chance of being one or the other. I personally hope Johnson and Roberson are the starters and if Obokoh isn't ready I hope McCollough subs for Roberson and Christmas for a three forward lineup if Coleman can't play.

Biggest question in the starting lineup for me is how long will McCullough stay in the game I am not so sure he will be ready for the speed of the college game for a month or two maybe even 3-4. And he might need the offense which he could lack for awhile to make up for it. Especially if Rak, Dajuan Obokoh don't bring the offense, it could become a dog fight between Gbinije, BJ, Roberson and McCullough whichever 2 can score together at forward.

The other thing is JB typically doesn't like to pull starters. If Dajuan comes back healthy, him and Rak started together for what 2 years now?? I can only think of 1-2 examples of JB pulling starters (even more so for jr/seniors).

Last edited:
Biggest question in the starting lineup for me is how long will McCullough stay in the game I am not so sure he will be ready for the speed of the college game for a month or two maybe even 3-4.
If anything I think McC will need to slow down - he's a gazelle, great first (and subsequent) step(s) for a guy his size, reacts incredibly quickly for a big. His early play might mimic Roberson's this year; TR was clearly not letting the game come to him and needed to apply the deceleratrix instead of the velocitator.

Where I have no worries is McC on the break / open court. He'll blow by anybody his size and jump over anyone smaller, and in the open court the reckless speeder gets rewarded (as long as you're not the PG running the break who needs to apply proper pace and good judgment as to when / where to distribute).

If anything I think McC will need to slow down - he's a gazelle, great first (and subsequent) step(s) for a guy his size, reacts incredibly quickly for a big. His early play might mimic Roberson's this year; TR was clearly not letting the game come to him and needed to apply the deceleratrix instead of the velocitator.

Where I have no worries is McC on the break / open court. He'll blow by anybody his size and jump over anyone smaller, and in the open court the reckless speeder gets rewarded (as long as you're not the PG running the break who needs to apply proper pace and good judgment as to when / where to distribute).

I think Chris Mac will come ready to play. I just hope his grades are good.

Anyone remember Wendall Alexis, just an average recruit but one of the best in the business @ crunch time, cant remember how many put backs or O rebounds this fella had . but just goes to show you never know whos going to step up

Exactly, that why we should not count anyone out, this a talented group. The days of Greg Davis are long gone. Some of you have been counting out Buss. Let the kids complete

lol...yeah, TE definitely favored the slow down game. Regardless of how this season turns out, I'll be excited to see us get up and down the court a bit faster.

I understand my bb knowledge is not up to par w/ some, but , I think Mike gbinigi is going to surprise everyone this year and hopefully next

I hope you're right - my expectations are set so low for him that he'll be hard-pressed not to rise above and surprise me. :)

Just don't like his game much...

I understand my bb knowledge is not up to par w/ some, but , I think Mike gbinigi is going to surprise everyone this year and hopefully next

I also think G will be a solid contributor. I am more concerned with our freshmen having freshmen-itus (occasionally not making a good decision). My hope is TR, BJ, and RP will make solid contributions this season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom