State plans $20 million for Carrier Dome renovations | Syracusefan.com

State plans $20 million for Carrier Dome renovations

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

The project will replace all of the stadium’s aluminum bench seats with new plastic seats that include backs, according to plans SU submitted to the state.

The backless, hard-metal bench seats have been a source of fan complaints since the Carrier Dome opened in 1980.

The new seating is the biggest part of the second phase of SU’s renovation project, which began in 2018. The university has spent at least $118 million on the upgrades to date.

The project will include upgrades to existing stairs and railings and four ramps on the lower concourse to comply with accessibility rules under the federal Americans with Disabilities Act.

It can’t happen this year because season tickets information has already been sent out for football and basketball. Seating assignments will change due to the reduction of the number of seats in the stadium.

Yep. Pretty much everyone’s seats will be moved with each row having fewer seats I would think.

Yep. Pretty much everyone’s seats will be moved with each row having fewer seats I would think.

I wonder how much that reduces total capacity by?

The project will replace all of the stadium’s aluminum bench seats with new plastic seats that include backs, according to plans SU submitted to the state.

The backless, hard-metal bench seats have been a source of fan complaints since the Carrier Dome opened in 1980.

The new seating is the biggest part of the second phase of SU’s renovation project, which began in 2018. The university has spent at least $118 million on the upgrades to date.

The project will include upgrades to existing stairs and railings and four ramps on the lower concourse to comply with accessibility rules under the federal Americans with Disabilities Act.
Absolutely awesome news!!!

On the football site Nate Mint says the University could start in June. That suggests no lost seats. I find that strange.

I went to North Carolinas football stadium this past season. They've replaced the metal seats with plastic ones recently, I LOVED the new seats! I asked someone next to me how many seats on the seating chart they lost, if I remember correctly it was like 6k. Its also easier for people to pass you since the bottom of the seats fold up. I'm all for it!

I went to North Carolinas football stadium this past season. They've replaced the metal seats with plastic ones recently, I LOVED the new seats! I asked someone next to me how many seats on the seating chart they lost, if I remember correctly it was like 6k. Its also easier for people to pass you since the bottom of the seats fold up. I'm all for it!
The UNC move from bleacher benches to individual seats is famous because it was such a disaster.

I have in many venues (all ACC football) and Kenan Stadium was the absolute worse for leg room.

If you have a stadium that was designed for backless benches (like the 300 of the dome) you can’t install individual seats with full backs without destroying leg room.

Kenan is an awful place to watch a game because of this. Now I watched a game from the upper level where there was a lot less leg room than their lower level. Maybe you sat in the lower level. Or have shorter legs than I do.

But other fans love to make fun of UNC because of the lack of leg room in many of the seats there.

Hope SU does not make the same mistake. I am sure Nate got the timing wrong. No way this happens until after football and basketball for next year are done. They have sold tickets for both already.

I was at a city council meeting a few years back and Pete Sala did a presentation that included plans for reduced seating. He mentioned the new capacity would be reduced by about 6- thousand, which would make the new capacity about 44k.