Stephen A on JB and the Pearl | Syracusefan.com

Stephen A on JB and the Pearl

They had this exactly right. It is somehow poetic that JB's pathologically unprofressional behavior in press conferences would finally come all the way around to taint his legacy like this. Really unfortunate but in hindsight you could see this coming for 30 years.

AD: Jim, we’re firing you.
Jim: Okay.
AD: But you need to tell people you’re retiring.
Jim: But I’m not retiring. You’re firing me.
AD: Yeah but just be cool and lie.

We’re mad a Jim for not fully covering for the university firing him to make the university (and him) look better.

Usually when people lie about getting canned it’s to save face and get another job. Jim is 109 years old. He has nothing after this, professionally. The fans had already turned on him, so he had no legacy left to protect. He disagreed with his bosses that he couldn’t do the job anymore, so he obviously had no real reason to let them off the hook for firing him.

I guess I just don’t see why pretending like it was his decision to retire would be more professional or the better option for Jim Boeheim. The goodwill was already gone.

We’re mad a Jim for not fully covering for the university firing him to make the university (and him) look better.

Usually when people lie about getting canned it’s to save face and get another job. Jim is 109 years old. He has nothing after this, professionally. The fans had already turned on him, so he had no legacy left to protect. He disagreed with his bosses that he couldn’t do the job anymore, so he obviously had no real reason to let them off the hook for firing him.

I guess I just don’t see why pretending like it was his decision to retire would be more professional or the better option for Jim Boeheim. The goodwill was already gone.

This wasn’t about SU looking better.

It was about letting JAB go out with some dignity.

He could have gone along with it, like Mike Brey did at ND.

And he refused to do so.

Because he didn’t want to go.
So he said things, because he always says things, and forced the University’s hand.

I’m sure he thought he could bluff or bully them into giving him another year, but they called him on it.

The fact that he’s the only noteworthy person related to the program who hasn’t posted something to congratulate Red speaks volumes.

And he refused to do so.

So he said things, because he always says things, and forced the University’s hand.

I’m sure he thought he could bluff or bully them into giving him another year, but they called him on it.

The fact that he’s the only noteworthy person related to the program who hasn’t posted something to congratulate Red speaks volumes.

Dignity is subjective. I think it could be more dignified to go out with the truth rather than going out like Brey. Everybody knows Brey was fired and everybody would have known JB was fired.

I’d be surprised if he hasn’t congratulated Red personally. But who knows.

And he refused to do so.

Totally disagree with that last part. At least for now. He’s not a social media guy. Wait at least for the presser tomorrow before jumping on him about that.

Dignity is subjective. I think it could be more dignified to go out with the truth rather than going out like Brey. Everybody knows Brey was fired and everybody would have known JB was fired.

I’d be surprised if he hasn’t congratulated Red personally. But who knows.

Everyone wouldn’t have known JB was fired. He’s 78. Retirement makes a lot of sense. That’s the entire point…

Add to this that someone on Twitter says he was told last May that the plan was for Autry to succeed Boeheim but Boeheim wanted it to be McNamara. (I wonder what Autry thinks of that.) That's consistent with Boeheim saying in a Michael Kay interview 10 years ago that if he could only have one person in a foxhole with him he'd want McNamara because he's the toughest (in a good way) person he's had. So maybe Boeheim and Wildhack are at such great disagreement that neither will ever agree to anything the other one wants. (Or maybe it wasn't Wildhack's decision but Syverud's.)

Because this didn’t reflect well on the University, which Boeheim has always claimed to care deeply about. In the end, he cared more about himself than the university - and as a result he tarnished both.

I’ve personally had a few times in my career where I had strong strategy/policy disagreements with my boss. Every time I argued passionately with my boss but couldn’t persuade a change of course - I’d defend the organizational decision as if it was my own to employees. That is absolutely the professional thing to do, to put the organization above your own ego. Boeheim’s inability to do that here is absolutely unprofessional.

And he refused to do so.

This is an honest question, what social media is JAB on for him to post?
If he doesn’t wish him well at the presser, then I’d take him to task. Before that just seems to me like nitpicking and looking for a reason to slam him.

They had this exactly right. It is somehow poetic that JB's pathologically unprofressional behavior in press conferences would finally come all the way around to taint his legacy like this. Really unfortunate but in hindsight you could see this coming for 30 years.
His legacy isn't tainted. This is all no big deal.

Steve tasker had the worst exit ever and it's just something to chuckle about now

His legacy isn't tainted. This is all no big deal.

Steve tasker had the worst exit ever and it's just something to chuckle about now
I agree - 3 years from now this is nothing. It will only last beyond the start of next year if we have a Louisville season. If we are close to 500 it dims every day.

Because this didn’t reflect well on the University, which Boeheim has always claimed to care deeply about. In the end, he cared more about himself than the university - and as a result he tarnished both.

I’ve personally had a few times in my career where I had strong strategy/policy disagreements with my boss. Every time I argued passionately with my boss but couldn’t persuade a change of course - I’d defend the organizational decision as if it was my own to employees. That is absolutely the professional thing to do, to put the organization above your own ego. Boeheim’s inability to do that here is absolutely unprofessional.

In the end, we all care about ourselves more than most other things, including our employer firing us. It’s human.

Totally disagree with that last part. At least for now. He’s not a social media guy. Wait at least for the presser tomorrow before jumping on him about that.
He had no issue tweeting to walk back his presser comments. He has an official twitter. He or his people could easily shoot out a short endorsement of Red.

The way he went out? The most Boeheim thing I've ever seen.
He was born cranky and he ain't stopping now.
SMH, God bless 'em.
That’s so true. The more I have thought about this, the more I feel we will look back and go “Well, that’s about right. Just how you would expect it to go”.

Maybe that’s just my glass half full attitude, but I really feel that way!

In the end, we all care about ourselves more than most other things, including our employer firing us. It’s human.

Professionals still manage to behave in a way that is more selfless than Boeheim was capable of; it’s why I gave my specific example of what “professional behavior” looks like.

I don’t dispute that how he behaved was perfectly human - it was just highly unprofessional as well.

He had no issue tweeting to walk back his presser comments. He has an official twitter. He or his people could easily shoot out a short endorsement of Red.
You were saying?

Not extending his contract is different than being fired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom