Stone cold lock of the season | Syracusefan.com

Stone cold lock of the season

They’re like 23-9 aren’t they? I’d sign up for that in a heartbeat.
That's season one. I'm talking after he has to recruit for a couple years and coach those guys up.

I've said this before, the Hubert Davis era will not end well at UNC. It's not easy to replace a legend. Please take note John Wildhack.
Of course its not easy to replace a legend. But what's the point of this post in relation to Wildhack? Don't let JB ever retire? Hire from the staff so they can be fired after 1 year of bad play? Hire a big time power 5 coach to replace the legend?

it shows that some schools its easy to get talent.. but coaches still have to coach to be a good team.. they out talented a bunch of teams but he wont every out coach one

Of course its not easy to replace a legend. But what's the point of this post in relation to Wildhack? Don't let JB ever retire? Hire from the staff so they can be fired after 1 year of bad play? Hire a big time power 5 coach to replace the legend?

Agreed.

Like it or not, the finish line is approaching, and a change is coming. Everyone always wrings their hands about replacing an icon, and the likelihood of failure.

Want to know what enhances that likelihood? By delimiting your choices artificially to a group of candidates that aren't qualified to be a head coach at a high major P5 job.

The way to reduce that likelihood and improve your chances that the next hire will be successful is to do a national search, perform due diligence, and hire the best candidate that you can.

It's hilarious when people make proclamations, such as: "...75% of coaches perform worse than their predecessors," and conclude that it's ok to just roll the dice with someone unqualified / unproven, because the next guy is most likely to fail anyway.

Maybe, but 25% do better. The lesson for JW is to get the best coach he can, so that we're in the SUCCESSFUL group. Not to cross our fingers with some unqualified hire who ensures we're in the group that fails.

Last edited:
Hubert Davis is who the Rams Club types wanted, and that's who they got. Which is how it generally works at places like that.

It was a tepid 23 wins, but we'd all take a tepid 23 wins.

He just needs to figure out if they're going to be a one and done factory or have guys in the program for a while.

Find the guy who can balance recruiting, court sense and keeping the alumni off your back. It's not easy juggling all of that. I think UNC jumped the gun with Hubert Davis. Possibly Duke did the same thing with Scheyer. Whatever Wildhack does is his legacy. I personally don't care if he hires an unproven assistant or an established coach. But it has to be a guy who fits right.

Find the guy who can balance recruiting, court sense and keeping the alumni off your back. It's not easy juggling all of that. I think UNC jumped the gun with Hubert Davis. Possibly Duke did the same thing with Scheyer. Whatever Wildhack does is his legacy. I personally don't care if he hires an unproven assistant or an established coach. But it has to be a guy who fits right.

Wildhack's legacy is the Lally Center. That thing goes sideways it would be a huge problem.

and it's not hard to hire any coach you want at UNC either.
When Guttridge retired and Roy Williams turned down that job, UNC could have hired any coach they wanted. Instead, they wanted someone who had close ties to UNC, so they chose Matt Doherty. Things didn't work out for different reasons in a very short time. Now, I am not saying that Hubert Davis is Matt Doherty but there were some lessons to be learned there.

Wildhack's legacy is the Lally Center. That thing goes sideways it would be a huge problem.
But is that his only legacy. Syracuse and Wildhack needed that to compete with similar schools as has been noted on this board. Yes, he has to tie up all the loose ends and bring that project to fruition but isn't the success of his sports team's part of his legacy as well? If not, why even compete in big-time collegiate athletics.

When Guttridge retired and Roy Williams turned down that job, UNC could have hired any coach they wanted. Instead, they wanted someone who had close ties to UNC, so they chose Matt Doherty. Things didn't work out for different reasons in a very short time. Now, I am not saying that Hubert Davis is Matt Doherty but there were some lessons to be learned there.

Doherty brought in some outside guys, and wasn't even viewed as UNC enough (blowing up at Chris Collins, etc). Also - Michael Jordan is a terrible GM :)

But is that his only legacy. Syracuse and Wildhack needed that to compete with similar schools as has been noted on this board. Yes, he has to tie up all the loose ends and bring that project to fruition but isn't the success of his sports team's part of his legacy as well? If not, why even compete in big-time collegiate athletics.

If the hire doesn't work out they hire someone else. Things like Lally make it an attractive job (or not if we don't continue to invest). If we don't have the facilities we aren't going to get the talent.

It's a lot more than loose ends also financially. It's a massive ask.

Always has to be noted though, that Doherty recruited Felton, McCants, and May before he got canned. And he did well in his first year when he had Forte and Haywood.

The next year he lost with Guthridge’s crappy recruits(Adam Boone/Brian Morrison backcourt! Lol). Guthridge won with Carter, Jamison, Cota, etc. but did not leave the cupboard stocked.

Roy Williams was a big time upgrade so it was the right move. But would’ve been interesting to see how Doherty would’ve done going forward with that class of studs he recruited.

Doherty brought in some outside guys, and wasn't even viewed as UNC enough (blowing up at Chris Collins, etc). Also - Michael Jordan is a terrible GM :)

But surprisingly the UNC AD, who was a big supporter of Doherty, allowed him full reign on his staff and didn't insist on the continuation of Phil Ford, etc. It's a tough situation. Many times you see one assistant coach retained for continuity. But if Cuse hires from the outside, there is no guarantee that any of the current staff will be retained. Ultimately it was Doherty's personality along with limited success that turned players, families and alumni against him.

Always has to be noted though, that Doherty recruited Felton, McCants, and May before he got canned. And he did well in his first year when he had Forte and Haywood.

The next year he lost with Guthridge’s crappy recruits(Adam Boone/Brian Morrison backcourt! Lol). Guthridge won with Carter, Jamison, Cota, etc. but did not leave the cupboard stocked.

Roy Williams was a big time upgrade so it was the right move. But would’ve been interesting to see how Doherty would’ve done going forward with that class of studs he recruited.
I agree but looking at how Doherty did at SMU, which is the antithesis of UNC, it is hard to gauge his future success. He last coached at 50 years old. Obviously choosing a different career path since then.

How is he doing recruiting?
Well, it's UNC so it's hard to tell. According to this, they are ranked 14th with three 4-star recruits. Conversely, Duke is #1 with four 5-star recruits.

They’re like 23-9 aren’t they? I’d sign up for that in a heartbeat.
But, if they were wearing orange, would they still be 23-9? That is the disconnect that people keep forgetting. People will say that they know the refs will do their part, but then forget it when looking at records.

I want a guy described to have energy and charisma. Those are traits that I wouldnt use to describe JB or even the assistants really.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom