Storming the court | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Storming the court

Is it ok to storm the court?

• We’re Syracuse. Such tomfoolery is beneath us as a program.

Votes: 24 16.9%
  • It’s ok but only if we knock off a top five (or top one) program

Votes: 78 54.9%
  • F@&$ YES YOLOOOOOOO

Votes: 40 28.2%

• Total voters
It can be true both that he's a clown for initiating contact with the fan he shoved, and that fans shouldn't be running so aggressively towards opponents that someone gets hurt.

If the court storming was a little less chaotic, and he shoved the kid, that would be the big story.

Schools should embrace the court storming to make it safer. Part of the problem (at least when I was part of one like 15 years ago ugh I'm old) is that there's a lot of pushing because the fans feel like they need to be such a large mob that they're impossible to stop so that security lets them go.

Instead, announce over the PA system that the court storming will be allowed after a 30 second countdown. Anyone who runs out early subject to arrest and being banned from all future sporting events on campus. After the game do a countdown clock on the scoreboard, crowd can chant 10, 9, 8, etc then play something like Jump Around or All I Do is Win when they storm the court.

They should also announce during the countdown, no post-game handshakes. I'm all for good sportsmanship, but not at the expense of player safety. Should have some security holding the line for the 30 seconds, and some ushering the opposing team off ASAP.

It can be true both that he's a clown for initiating contact with the fan he shoved, and that fans shouldn't be running so aggressively towards opponents that someone gets hurt.

If the court storming was a little less chaotic, and he shoved the kid, that would be the big story.

Schools should embrace the court storming to make it safer. Part of the problem (at least when I was part of one like 15 years ago ugh I'm old) is that there's a lot of pushing because the fans feel like they need to be such a large mob that they're impossible to stop so that security lets them go.

Instead, announce over the PA system that the court storming will be allowed after a 30 second countdown. Anyone who runs out early subject to arrest and being banned from all future sporting events on campus. After the game do a countdown clock on the scoreboard, crowd can chant 10, 9, 8, etc then play something like Jump Around or All I Do is Win when they storm the court.

They should also announce during the countdown, no post-game handshakes. I'm all for good sportsmanship, but not at the expense of player safety. Should have some security holding the line for the 30 seconds, and some ushering the opposing team off ASAP.

The problem is that if the game is close and still in doubt, it could motivate the other team to hear the PA announcer give court-storming instructions. Maybe send a letter to all ticket-holders when they buy them how court-stormings will be conducted. Again, SU's version after the UNC game is a good model to follow.

Me and about 3 other SU fans. We were a very vocal but small minority. It was actually played at a neutral site arena. And it was more like we were on the court when SU was acknowledged as ECAC champs.

Haha. My kids think I stormed the court.
My only memory of that game other than that we won, we the number of free throws we missed when we could have clinched it.

That's an incredibly deceiving video. Back it up a few seconds and you see the Duke player shove and trip a guy running past him. THAT'S why he spun around and got hurt.

Regardless, schools and networks have glorified court storming for decades. It's a prime component of every highlight video.

All the hand wringing now is so silly, particularly from the usual suspects in the "kids are so soft today" contingent.

Just get the players off the floor more rapidly. It's not rocket science, staffs manage to do it all the time. Just because Duke's is lousy at it doesn't mean the fun should be ruined for everyone else.

Wow, your comment epitomizes the "people seeing what they want to see" to a T.

What I saw, in my view, was a Wake fan looking and pointing directly at Filipowski (while likely shouting at him) moments prior to contact. It appears that that Wake fan was at least going to make slight contact with Filopowski while running by so he puts up his arms in a blocking time manner to protect himself. The ensuing contact causes both to stumble, where the Wake fan clips his right leg/knee as he runs by.

Immediately afterwards, another Wake fan appears to place his hand on Filipowski's back (right on his number 30) causing him to tilt forward, losing his balance while fending off another stormer and started the spin mode.

What I witnessed from the footage, Filipowski did not appear to have any culpability here.

Interesting.

Last edited:
The problem is that if the game is close and still in doubt, it could motivate the other team to hear the PA announcer give court-storming instructions. Maybe send a letter to all ticket-holders when they buy them how court-stormings will be conducted. Again, SU's version after the UNC game is a good model to follow.
Yeah, that's true. I don't think ticket holders, especially the students, are going to read those letters too carefully - that's the problem there. They could announce it before storm-able games along with the normal fan conduct announcements, but then you have the school making a decision on like what justifies a court storming instead of letting it be somewhat organic.

But I was more thinking about it sport-wide, everyone should do that. If the NCAA or conferences forced that announcement with 5 minutes left or 2 minutes left anytime students were starting to amass near the entrance points, then it would be fair across the sport and nobody should get overly motivated by it.

Out of the literal thousands of court storming, how many times have players been hurt?

Can someone tell me what the obviously high % this is since it’s all the rage to talk about?

This is like a doctor saying he has good news and bad news.

"Very few people get the disease you've got."

How low does the percentage have to be to not matter?

You tell me the data and I’ll give you an answer. A doctor doesn’t work on gut feeling.

Wow, your comment epitomizes the "people seeing what they want to see" to a T.

What I saw, in my view, was a Wake fan looking and pointing directly at Filipowski (while likely shouting at him) moments prior to contact. It appears that that Wake fan was at least going to make slight contact with Filopowski while running by so he puts up his arms in a blocking time manner to protect himself. The ensuing contact causes both to stumble, where the Wake fan clips his right leg/knee as he runs by.

Immediately afterwards, another Wake fan appears to place his hand on Filipowski's back (right on his number 30) causing him to tilt forward, losing his balance while fending off another stormer and started the spin mode.

What I witnessed from the footage, Filipowski did not appear to have any culpability here.

Interesting.
So you think it’s more likely that a random student decided to intentionally yell at and try to shoulder tackle a Duke player, than it was that a Duke player tried to shove a random student running near him as he tried to exit the court?

I’m going with the latter because Occam’s Razor.

Out of the literal thousands of court storming, how many times have players been hurt?

Can someone tell me what the obviously high % this is since it’s all the rage to talk about?
You could apply that to anything. The % of drunk drivers who actual kill or

Storm the court at every game...even if we lose. In fact, storm it during the game as a manifestation against the current path of college sports
I like this. Hell, let’s storm every timeout.

Send a different section every four minutes and have them perform to a song played by SSS.

Vote on this and the best section all gets a free plow by a car plowing cartel.

The dance competitions will become more popular than the games at certain schools.

People will get in better shape. Learn more dance moves. Sales of dance apparel will soar and boost the economy.

Can you imagine what CNY can do when 20% of the population can rumba? Or moon walk?

Storm the court. Change the world. Bring it Rutgers Al!

Last edited:
When was the last time someone stormed the court after beating us?
Is your point we haven’t been very good in recent years ……… thanks !

When was the last time someone stormed the court after beating us?
I think when 12th ranked Virginia beat the 4th ranked Syracuse team in the 2013-2014 season to clinch the regular season ACC title. I looked at the video and Virginia was very well prepared to handle it.

I think when 12th ranked Virginia beat the 4th ranked Syracuse team in the 2013-2014 season to clinch the regular season ACC title. I looked at the video and Virginia was very well prepared to handle it.
Before that in terms of a real upset court storming was I think in 2011-2012 when Notre Dame beat a number 1 ranked Syracuse team in January of 2012 that hadn’t even played a game yet according to the NCAA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom