Strange moments in Syracuse basketball history... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Strange moments in Syracuse basketball history...

you can forgive me for this one later but...

Of course there was the one when we pressed against them to win earlier in the year, and the Tyler Ennis shot at Pitt. Alot of exciting finishes that year.

No fan was like the Orange wizard though sat about 20 rows back from the team. Long orange Beard and wizard Hat. He was a Balloon wild man.

Maybe I am just crazy, but I think I may have caused Scotty Reynolds to jerk a missed free throw once by popping a balloon.

I was only a kid when that happened, but I remember it clearly all these years later. It was Georgetown game, with 30000+ raucous fans. After she fell, the whole place was so silent that you could hear a pin drop. The cheerleader was screaming, and that was the only sound in the Dome. It was eerie.
My freshman year. I remember it exactly the same way. Silent. To this day I have trouble watching cheerleaders doing those aerial stunts ... I can still picture MM falling.

This one comes to mind. This one had it all.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/games/2006-12-02-wichita-syracuse_x.htm
That layup forever implanted in my mind :bang:
Just look at the runs and scoring droughts in that game crazy.

If you don't want to read the whole thing here is the summary.
1After putting together an amazing 27-1 run in the first half and leading by 19 midway through the second, Wichita State (6-0) was fortunate to survive in the end. (27-1 against us really?)

2.Syracuse (7-1) held the Shockers to just one field goal in the final 9:24 and went on a 21-2 run to tie it at 61 with 1:48 left before a stunning miss by Demetris Nichols on a breakaway layup foiled the comeback.

3. Nichols seemingly had the game in his hands after stealing a cross-court pass by Matt Braeuer and heading all alone down court. But instead of adding another dunk to an array of slams by his teammates that had the Carrier Dome crowd of 23,857 rocking, the 6-foot -8 Nichols chose to try to lay the ball in the cylinder with 21 seconds left. It rolled around the rim and out.
"It's on me. I'm a senior captain," said Nichols, who had just six points on 2-of-14 shooting after scoring 20 points or more in each of the previous three games. "I've just got to get over it and just be ready for the next game.

4.After Josh Wright's fastbreak layup at 16:48, Syracuse did not score another basket until Nichols drained a 3 from right wing at 5:34.

5. The Orange, which shot just 31% in the first half and committed nine turnovers, finally got its offense in gear and went on an 11-0 run before the break.

6.A three-point play by freshman Paul Harris and two free throws by Roberts pulled Syracuse to 61-59 with 2:50 left and Watkins' follow after three misses under the basket tied it at 61.

7."We had the game won after playing so bad," said Wright, who finished with 10 points, four assists and five turnovers. "We played horrible and we had a chance to win. We are not coming out ready to play," Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. "We haven't all year. You can't put yourself in holes like that against good teams."

I don't think I ever saw the dome rock like that though. What a comeback.

Last edited:
2001-02 season. Still don't know what's fact from fiction.

Another oldie for me was Hakim Warricks coming out party his freshmen year in 2002 NIT against st. bonnaventure.
He had 14 points 10 rebounds and 6 blocks in that game. St Bonnaventure was so small and here was this guy Hakim Warrick freshmen who basically hadn't played all year and suddenly showed up against the undersized bonnies and pretty much morphed into Kevin Garnett. Shumpert put up 28 in that game as well.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/scores102/102072/102072314.htm#RECAPS
It was very Fab Melo vs Seton Hall esque.

Another oldie for me was Hakim Warricks coming out party his freshmen year in 2002 NIT against st. bonnaventure.
He had 14 points 10 rebounds and 6 blocks in that game. St Bonnaventure was so small and here was this guy Hakim Warrick freshmen who basically hadn't played all year and suddenly showed up against the undersized bonnies and pretty much morphed into Kevin Garnett. Shumpert put up 28 in that game as well.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/scores102/102072/102072314.htm#RECAPS
It was very Fab Melo vs Seton Hall esque.

That St. Bonaventure team was a run and gun, no defense played, fun team to watch. JR Bremer, who had 29 points in that game against SU, finished the year fourth in scoring nationally at 24.6 points per game. That style of play allowed him to cash a few NBA paychecks. Remember that game well.

7.99 for Jack?? damn...

that whole page is fascinating.

24 NBA teams, 20 NHL...

I believe that Torero tequila in the ad is the reason I no longer touch the stuff.

Strangest moments for me in order:

- the feeling I had when the Bernie Fine news was breaking
- the feeling I had when Keith F****** Smart hit a running J.
- seeing Boeheim kicked out of the Duke game
- the white shorts/orange top cluster Jake pointed out

That Pitt game back in 08, when Donte Greene was here. We had an 11 point lead at the under 4 min timeout. We completely unraveled, missed free throws, turned it over, Paul Harris' infamous inbound pass, one of the worst losses ever, it was a Saturday noon game, and it completely ruined my weekend, and kept us out of the tournament.

1) Rony Seikaly makes a free throw against Georgetown in the 80's and the score don't register on the scoreboard. No indication of a lane violation from the refs. We lost by one.

2) Adrian Autry drives the baseline against BC in the early 90's. He steps out of bounds. A ref comes running over and even slides to the spot, aggressively pointing to it with the whistle in his mouth. But he doesn't blow it. Instead he looks over his shoulder to see if Autry made the lay-up. He missed, BC rebounds and starts a fast break. The ref just gets up and trots down the court. Everybody sees this. JB goes ballistic and the loudest chorus of boos I've heard circulates around the Dome.

3) George Hicker gets thrown out for calling Jim Burr "Higgins".

4)

Rony Seikaly reverse dunk as a freshman, well, reverse dunk ATTEMPT, leaving Pearl, Raf Addison, and Wendell Alexis
holding towels over their faces to hide their laughter.

Derek Brower dunked once. That is all.

Kev