Strange moments in Syracuse basketball history... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Strange moments in Syracuse basketball history...

My impression was that the guy with rainbow wig was a student. This was back when the students sat on the side of the court. I am pretty sure he was expelled. A lot of fun - for us!

That rainbow wig fight happened against Notre Dame. I believe it was in 97, but could be wrong [we weren't very good that year].

Michelle Munn??...the cheerleader who toppled from atop a human pyramid stopping a game for like 20 minutes.

I was only a kid when that happened, but I remember it clearly all these years later. It was Georgetown game, with 30000+ raucous fans. After she fell, the whole place was so silent that you could hear a pin drop. The cheerleader was screaming, and that was the only sound in the Dome. It was eerie.

McNeil making 2 FTs to beat Pitt.

In that vein, of unlikely heroes, I propose

Player That Single-Handedly Won Game We Should Have Lost - GMAC 40+ points against BYU in NCAA Tournament

Player That Single-Handedly Lost Game We Should Have Won - Paul Harris melt-down that cost us 10 point lead in last minute loss to Pitt.

Player That Single-Handedly Lost Game We Should Have Won - Paul Harris melt-down that cost us 10 point lead in last minute loss to Pitt.

Donte helped with a couple bad inbound passes. The end of that game and my reaction to it had my wife looking at me like I was a wild animal.

Player That Single-Handedly Won Game We Should Have Lost - GMAC 40+ points against BYU in NCAA Tournament

I've been lucky to sit courtside for two games. One was that Pitt loss and the other was the LeMoyne exhibition "loss". Just call me a jinx.

I was only a kid when that happened, but I remember it clearly all these years later. It was Georgetown game, with 30000+ raucous fans. After she fell, the whole place was so silent that you could hear a pin drop. The cheerleader was screaming, and that was the only sound in the Dome. It was eerie.

I think they banned pyramids after that. I just remember at the time thinking "holy cow that looks dangerous".

I think they banned pyramids after that. I just remember at the time thinking "holy cow that looks dangerous".
I remember the 5 seconds of my lifetime I did not hate John Thompson - when he started his post-game press conference with, "How's the little girl?" or however he worded it.

I remember the 5 seconds of my lifetime I did not hate John Thompson - when he started his post-game press conference with, "How's the little girl?" or however he worded it.

For all the seconds around those 5, "What is Hoya?" chant. I remember when the crowd used to say "F you a hole" when ever a guy would make a free throw. It all ended when JB said on the microphone to stop it or our team would get a technical.

Aside from the cheerleader accident, this thread is entertaining.

How about the orange being thrown and hitting the backboard while Ewing was about to shoot a FT?

I was attending BYU when that game was played. I talked so much smack leading up to that game. SO MUCH. I went to a few BYU games on campus that season and knew they wouldn't be able to hang. That was one of the best games they had played all season I thought. Right on the first possession I remember we threw it down to Warrick and he got a dunk or a lay up off a pretty simple post move and I knew it was game over.

To this day when BYU fans find out my true allegiances lie with Syracuse they bring that game up and say something like "You gotta admit though, if McNamara didn't score 40 BYU would have won that toruney game" and I break all goodwill sports fan laws of graciousness and am adamant that I will not admit that, that it didn't matter how much or how little GMAC had, there was no way Syracuse was losing that game because they were such a better team, and BYU played as well as they could have and it still wasn't enough.

I also called it that Nichols would play well against them. BYU didn't have a forward anything like him that season to match up. Glaring difference between power conference schools and mid-majors.

I am mezmerised by the liquor store add next to the article. $2.89 for a 12 banger of Old Milwaukee? 10.99 for a handle of Jim Beam? My God, what a time that must have been to be alive!
7.99 for Jack?? damn...

that whole page is fascinating.

24 NBA teams, 20 NHL...

you can forgive me for this one later but...

Of course there was the one when we pressed against them to win earlier in the year, and the Tyler Ennis shot at Pitt. Alot of exciting finishes that year.

No fan was like the Orange wizard though sat about 20 rows back from the team. Long orange Beard and wizard Hat. He was a Balloon wild man.

Maybe I am just crazy, but I think I may have caused Scotty Reynolds to jerk a missed free throw once by popping a balloon.

NCAA Tournament 1994, SU vs. Hawai'i in Ogden, Utah on the campus of Weber State.

A young Scooch, attending the game as a member of the Sout Sitrus Society, decided to aggressively heckle Hawai'i PG Trevor Ruffin. As Ruffin set up for an inbounds he turned towards young Scooch and barked "F%*K YOU".

He should have been more focused. A little strange.

NCAA Tournament 1994, SU vs. Hawai'i in Ogden, Utah on the campus of Weber State.

A young Scooch, attending the game as a member of the Sout Sitrus Society, decided to aggressively heckle Hawai'i PG Trevor Ruffin. As Ruffin set up for an inbounds he turned towards young Scooch and barked "F%*K YOU".

He should have been more focused. A little strange.
I'm going out on a limb and bet that's not the first...or the last... time you've heard that. ;)