Strange win | Syracusefan.com

Strange win

SoBeCuse

Living Legend
We'll take it and certainly glad it wasn't a nail biter. Everybody played well except for Howard.

This will be a good win for the numbers and formulas, but, was anyone impressed with ND? They looked terrible sans Jackson. The perimeter and interior D was so weak from them. Like bad mid-major type. GA Tech will be a BIG step up.

We'll take it and certainly glad it wasn't a nail biter. Everybody played well except for Howard.

This will be a good win for the numbers and formulas, but, was anyone impressed with ND? They looked terrible sans Jackson. The perimeter and interior D was so weak from them. Like bad mid-major type. GA Tech will be a BIG step up.

I wouldn't read too much into it. He's their best player, and the floor general. Tough to win on the road without your starting point guard... and just imagine how we'd play sans Gbinije against a decent team.

They've never matched up well with us since Brey has been there. We've always been able to do whatever we wanted on offense against them. Jackson or not, they were down 20 early, and we moved the ball as good as we have all year.

Agreed. My point exactly. Let's not bask too much in this win and get ready for GTech.

We've played like a top 25 caliber team since JB returned. We were even competitive against UNC, who is probably the best team in the country, for 35 minutes until their size wore us down.

These 5 games will dictate the season. We're 1-0. 4 more to go. As you correctly point out, no time to rest on our laurels or get comfortable.

Roberson seemed a bit off tonight, especially after he got rolled on. Was that tip he had early in the game offensive goaltending? Sure seemed like the ball was on the rim.

We've played like a top 25 caliber team since JB returned. We were even competitive against UNC, who is probably the best team in the country, for 35 minutes until their size wore us down.

These 5 games will dictate the season. We're 1-0. 4 more to go. As you correctly point out, no time to rest on our laurels or get comfortable.

I really think MR is playing at a much higher level over the last few games. It seems each game he's getting a little more confident. Maybe it's the hair (which is awesome and helps on defense!). I don't know if he's going to peak or if he will continue to improve. But in my mind he's becoming that "go-to guy" type player.

I really think MR is playing at a much higher level over the last few games. It seems each game he's getting a little more confident. Maybe it's the hair (which is awesome and helps on defense!). I don't know if he's going to peak or if he will continue to improve. But in my mind he's becoming that "go-to guy" type player.

No fear at all.

Roberson seemed a bit off tonight, especially after he got rolled on. Was that tip he had early in the game offensive goaltending? Sure seemed like the ball was on the rim.

Just a dink. He'll be fine.

We're a much different team on offense when Richardson is a multi dimensional scorer. Great to see.

I like when JB was yelling at the team during the timeout not to stop playing hard and to keep running up the score. I think anytime you have a blowout win it's good for confidence.

We're a much different team on offense when Richardson is a multi dimensional scorer. Great to see.

I loved how they ran a clear out for him to go 1 on 1 with about 3 minutes left. He crosses over, then goes hard to the basket to finish with his left, then turns back to get in the face of the defender. That was Devendorfesque.

I thought him stepping into a passing lane making a steal on defense was really a great thing to see. If he's matching his offensive play with great defense it's huge.

I loved how they ran a clear out for him to go 1 on 1 with about 3 minutes left. He crosses over, then goes hard to the basket to finish with his left, then turns back to get in the face of the defender. That was Devendorfesque.

I think Richardson reminds me a little of Kris Joseph's game. But I think Malachi may be a better 3 point shooter.

ND wants to push the tempo, but without Jackson they are not equipped to get out and run at all. They just didn't have the personnel to play their style and Orange did a great job of making them play faster than they should have.

SoBeCuse, I really appreciate your post-game insights. They take a unique angle and you avoid the dark side.

I think this is the new normal in college basketball. Because it's nearly impossible to calculate how many years any one player will stay in school, teams get caught without depth. Also, there are no great teams, and the final four teams find themselves more depleted than they were predicting (see Duke). What we are lamenting about SU is true for just about everybody else.

ND was really unimpressive for a (barely) Top 25 team, but really, outside of Oklahoma and one or two others, who has impressed you?

Nice work. It would've been a fail for me trying to spell that after the current Blanton's/couple of double IPAs lineup.

SoBeCuse, I really appreciate your post-game insights. They take a unique angle and you avoid the dark side.

I think this is the new normal in college basketball. Because it's nearly impossible to calculate how many years any one player will stay in school, teams get caught without depth. Also, there are no great teams, and the final four teams find themselves more depleted than they were predicting (see Duke). What we are lamenting about SU is true for just about everybody else.

ND was really unimpressive for a (barely) Top 25 team, but really, outside of Oklahoma and one or two others, who has impressed you?

Thanks. I really like Purdue and nobody talks about them. Serious size and skill and they were very young last year.

UNC, Miami, MSU (with Valentine), Iowa St., Oklahoma, aTm, but those are obvious. Wide open it seems.

Last edited:
CuseFaninVT said:

I thought Roberson was fine. He had a couple really solid assists tonight that were very unselfish. Very underrated passer and glue guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom