Strength and Conditioning Program | Syracusefan.com

Strength and Conditioning Program

SUDadx2

2nd String
Coach Fran has said he hired two coaches for the strength and conditioning program: Chad Smith and Jordan Barber.

Although both are experienced and could lead the program, I don't actually know how the responsibilities will be divided among these two professionals.

It was pretty clear this season that the strength and conditioning program was in need of an upgrade. How many times did our big guys win the battle at the LOS, on offense or defense? How many times towards the end of the play did we see our opponents "moving the pile" while SU players were either ineffectively trying to move the pile or simply watching? The answer to both questions is too many times.

Not only do we need to upgrade the talent level by bringing in better players/athletes, but we need to find a way to get more out of the players on the roster. Last March, we brought in a full-time nutritionist dedicated to the football program (Tori Brown, Director of Performance Nutrition - football) and we upgraded the food in the dining hall for the players. Now with a new Head Coach we have new strength and conditioning coaches coming on board.

Chad Smith has been part of some good programs, and I was able to find a couple of articles about his work at FIU.
  • 2022 - 2023; Georgia Tech
  • 2021; Southern California
  • 2020; South Alabama
  • 2013 - 2019; Florida International

Jordan Barber
  • 2022 - 2023; Georgia
  • 2019 - 2021; Miami
  • 2017 - 2018; Temple
  • 2016; Maryland
  • 2015 - 2016; Towson

I'm looking forward to seeing a bigger, leaner, faster and stronger team in 2024. Then we can see if these guys who can recruit (skilled guys) can coach technique and manage games.

If the new staff can get Kalan Ellis down under 340 they will be miracle workers.
The new staff might not want Ellis under 340 if he can recover and then build on his strength from pre injury. Size and strength on the IOL will be a key attribute with the new offense.

Coach Fran has said he hired two coaches for the strength and conditioning program: Chad Smith and Jordan Barber.

Although both are experienced and could lead the program, I don't actually know how the responsibilities will be divided among these two professionals.

It was pretty clear this season that the strength and conditioning program was in need of an upgrade. How many times did our big guys win the battle at the LOS, on offense or defense? How many times towards the end of the play did we see our opponents "moving the pile" while SU players were either ineffectively trying to move the pile or simply watching? The answer to both questions is too many times.

Not only do we need to upgrade the talent level by bringing in better players/athletes, but we need to find a way to get more out of the players on the roster. Last March, we brought in a full-time nutritionist dedicated to the football program (Tori Brown, Director of Performance Nutrition - football) and we upgraded the food in the dining hall for the players. Now with a new Head Coach we have new strength and conditioning coaches coming on board.

Chad Smith has been part of some good programs, and I was able to find a couple of articles about his work at FIU.
  • 2022 - 2023; Georgia Tech
  • 2021; Southern California
  • 2020; South Alabama
  • 2013 - 2019; Florida International

Jordan Barber
  • 2022 - 2023; Georgia
  • 2019 - 2021; Miami
  • 2017 - 2018; Temple
  • 2016; Maryland
  • 2015 - 2016; Towson

I'm looking forward to seeing a bigger, leaner, faster and stronger team in 2024. Then we can see if these guys who can recruit (skilled guys) can coach technique and manage games.
^ This. I fully agree with you. Fran has publicly stated that S&C was one of the very first things that needed to be addressed. It's more than just a shift in culture and philosophy. The lines and most if not all of the other positions have been physically dominated way too often throughout the entire Babers era.

If the new staff can get Kalan Ellis down under 340 they will be miracle workers.
I agree. He is Samoan and they do gain size easily, so for him to cut down to that he will have to eat low glycemix carbs and high protein plus some vegges. He can do it but it wot be easy to do. lots of cardio in am before food. Hope he sticks it out.

Some of you forget the #'s guys were putting up on the SnC tweets. Maybe cuz they stopped. Decent #'s. Form, technique, scheme also matter. Its not just strength.

We have a lot of big guys that didn't lift enough in HS. Remember 200lbs, Jarveon Howard coming in, benching WAY more than incoming linemen? Why? Because he actually lifted in HS, where a bunch of our big guys didn't do any where near that level of work. Not even close.

Strength takes time. If you are benching 115 today, you can get to 225 in a year. Likely take 2 more years to get to 325. Then three or FOUR more years to get to 405. The big guys with longer arms? Takes even longer.

There is no magic pill, here. You can add a day, but then you are far more prone to injury. If HS weight room wasn't serious? Pretty easy to be 2,3 and 4 years behind the kids that did take it seriously.

Fortunately, football is not a weight lifting contest. It can certainly help(and is required) but there is more to it.

Some of you forget the #'s guys were putting up on the SnC tweets. Maybe cuz they stopped. Decent #'s. Form, technique, scheme also matter. Its not just strength.

We have a lot of big guys that didn't lift enough in HS. Remember 200lbs, Jarveon Howard coming in, benching WAY more than incoming linemen? Why? Because he actually lifted in HS, where a bunch of our big guys didn't do any where near that level of work. Not even close.

Strength takes time. If you are benching 115 today, you can get to 225 in a year. Likely take 2 more years to get to 325. Then three or FOUR more years to get to 405. The big guys with longer arms? Takes even longer.

There is no magic pill, here. You can add a day, but then you are far more prone to injury. If HS weight room wasn't serious? Pretty easy to be 2,3 and 4 years behind the kids that did take it seriously.

Fortunately, football is not a weight lifting contest. It can certainly help(and is required) but there is more to it.
Yeah, uhm, that's right, my bench, uh, isn't great because, like, my arms are really long for my height. Like, really long. It's true! So, yeah, that's accurate, it's, uh, a lot harder for those, uhm, long-armed guys.

Awkward Jesse Pinkman GIF by Breaking Bad

Yeah, uhm, that's right, my bench, uh, isn't great because, like, my arms are really long for my height. Like, really long. It's true! So, yeah, that's accurate, it's, uh, a lot harder for those, uhm, long-armed guys.

Awkward Jesse Pinkman GIF by Breaking Bad
Long arms can cause more shoulder flexion. Not to mention, that short armed guys need to move it less distance.

My point was, if you bring in weak guys, it takes a LONG time to get real strength. Fran will likely focus on THAT. Bring in guys that didn't skip the weight room for 3 or 4 years.

Last edited:
When fatigued, longer arm length is directly associated with less power in lifts. (And by extension, less gains)

It doesn't take a study to realize that not lifting much in HS makes you much weaker than those that did.

I'm curious what "upgrading the food in the dining hall for the players" looks like, both as a fat guy, and a curious fan.
But seriously, anybody have any insight on this?

Asking on behalf of the genuinely curious and/or "big boned" fans.