Strength and Conditioning Program | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Strength and Conditioning Program

way OffT -> We just did RCCL - most of the passengers (I resemble it) were trashy.
but funny enough - there were at least 50 people from or formerly from syracuse
Correlation doesn't always mean causation. But it's the way to bet.

But seriously, anybody have any insight on this?

Asking on behalf of the genuinely curious and/or "big boned" fans.
When I saw a soda machine in our cafeteria I knew we were way behind in nutrition. Lots of schools have scheduled meal plans for players especially those looking to put on more “Good” weight. Substitute the sugar drinks like soda and snacks with healthier options. Protein drinks, smoothies, healthy prepared meals to eat on the run in between classes, etc. Ours may have improved recently but in the not so distant future it was atrocious. Just to see what a healthy nutrition program is check out this page. It’s strictly dedicated to Georgia’s nutrition program.

Notice how you don’t see any soda in any of those pictures. When people made fun of us for wanting a nutritionist it really showed that some have no idea the lengths some programs go to make sure their athletes are eating right.

Last edited:
Soda should never be a part of the diet. I truly cant believe our nutritionist or lack there of was so damn bad. I cant understand how the old coaches could make these kids push, pull, and run and not have a distinct plan for food and how it improves what exactly you are trying to do for your future. Didnt one of these guys go, maybe pizza and soda before bed isnt a great thing for adding muscle. I mean im not a really smart guy but this blows my mind literally as u can tell cause i talk so much about it.

All the talk about nutrition is fun for middle aged guys and I am sure the many of kids are working their respective plans and so on. They are also college kids, does the nutritionist factor in the beer and late night eating that goes along with it? The talk is great but I am not so sure how diligent many of the kids are with it. As far as soda? Other than older people drinking diet coke, who is drinking this anymore? Seems so odd.

What were they doing for some of the kids that needed to shed weight because that didn't seem to be working at all.

On a different topic. Have they officially announced the new strength and conditioning staff? They begin winter training in less than a week.

All the talk about nutrition is fun for middle aged guys and I am sure the many of kids are working their respective plans and so on. They are also college kids, does the nutritionist factor in the beer and late night eating that goes along with it? The talk is great but I am not so sure how diligent many of the kids are with it. As far as soda? Other than older people drinking diet coke, who is drinking this anymore? Seems so odd.

What were they doing for some of the kids that needed to shed weight because that didn't seem to be working at all.
Lots of people drink soda, especially young people. As far as not sticking to the nutrition plan goes, I would hope coaches would have discussions about their dedication to their craft and aspirations to be pros. If they're not on board and it negatively affects their performance, enjoy the portal. They can set weight and body fat percentage goals and test guys regularly. It's not that different than all of the other rules coaches often have about study halls, lifting goals, and sitting in the first two rows of a class.

Sure. I like when the big guys post their #'s. Shuttle(hips) squat, and bench(to a lesser extent). They usually do, when those numbers are good. (Many of our guys dont) Bleich was really strong in HS. Surgeries took away those gains. Bergeron wasn't, took him 3 years to rep 315. He had good technique(Schmidt), though, and that was enough to send him to the NFL.

Its great to have animals on the line, but lack of push can be poor technique and scheme, too. You can't just blame SnC.

If they were gym rats coming in - they'll likely have no Strength issues.
I agree that strength takes time but not THAT much time if you have a frame. If you can bench 185 controlled I could get you to 315 or more in a year. There are programs specifically designed for this. But I agree with your other points

It's not just that, it's getting the bad weight off and adding upper body strength as well.
This is the key and what the incoming coaches preach…reduce body fat

I agree that strength takes time but not THAT much time if you have a frame. If you can bench 185 controlled I could get you to 315 or more in a year. There are programs specifically designed for this. But I agree with your other points
If its your 1st year? Maybe. During spring Ball, and in Season? Nope. That amount of body fatigue isn't good. You have about 6 months for any significant gains.

If you're benching 400 in HS, that takes an accelerated off season program, and starting in 8th grade. Most still won't hit 400. We had a bunch in the 300's- good for HS. Having a weight lifting "class" during school helped the multi sport kids. The gains you posted are possible(beginner), but I wouldn't expect that from a college player.