Strength and Conditioning Program | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Strength and Conditioning Program

Long arms can cause more shoulder flexion. Not to mention, that short armed guys need to move it less distance.

My point was, if you bring in weak guys, it takes a LONG time to get real strength. Fran will likely focus on THAT. Bring in guys that didn't skip the weight room for 3 or 4 years.
Which is why its great when we find guys who also wrestled in high school as well because you know they were gym rats and are coming in with great foundations on the strength side plus other attributes.

I'm curious what "upgrading the food in the dining hall for the players" looks like, both as a fat guy, and a curious fan.

But seriously, anybody have any insight on this?

Asking on behalf of the genuinely curious and/or "big boned" fans.

Epicurious?

not that theres anything wrong with that.jpg

Which is why its great when we find guys who also wrestled in high school as well because you know they were gym rats and are coming in with great foundations on the strength side plus other attributes.
Sure. I like when the big guys post their #'s. Shuttle(hips) squat, and bench(to a lesser extent). They usually do, when those numbers are good. (Many of our guys dont) Bleich was really strong in HS. Surgeries took away those gains. Bergeron wasn't, took him 3 years to rep 315. He had good technique(Schmidt), though, and that was enough to send him to the NFL.

Its great to have animals on the line, but lack of push can be poor technique and scheme, too. You can't just blame SnC.

If they were gym rats coming in - they'll likely have no Strength issues.

We have a couple of assistant S&C coaches who are outstanding IMO. Would be nice to see them get an opportunity to stay on and learn under a different system.

That's one of the tough aspects of coaching changes. Head coach gets a golden parachute, but the support staff is all on one year contracts at moderate salaries and generally young families. Firing a head coach is really firing 40 dedicated people in many cases.

Strength takes TIME. Here are some #'s from some of our starting OL, in HS. Who worked harder, and who is going to need 4 or 5 years to come even close?

Player 1. (Bleich)
Squat : 600
Bench : 455

Player 2. (Anonymous)
Squat : 335
Bench : 225.

HS SnC matters. There is no magic. I guess steroids are sorta magic, but thats just terrible.

But seriously, anybody have any insight on this?

Asking on behalf of the genuinely curious and/or "big boned" fans.
So Falk has a professor and a program that deals in sports nutrition. During COVID they did a zoom information program that mostly talked about the snacks that they have in the practice facilities for the players and what they pack for them for the airplane/bus trips. They have a whole model on sports nutrition. So, I am guessing that this has now extended to the meals. They analyze things like supplements and vitamins and things lost during games, and practices and replacing them in the bodies through food choices. There was probably more, but this is what I remember.

So Falk has a professor and a program that deals in sports nutrition. During COVID they did a zoom information program that mostly talked about the snacks that they have in the practice facilities for the players and what they pack for them for the airplane/bus trips. They have a whole model on sports nutrition. So, I am guessing that this has now extended to the meals. They analyze things like supplements and vitamins and things lost during games, and practices and replacing them in the bodies through food choices. There was probably more, but this is what I remember.
Awesome, thanks. This is interesting.

I agree. He is Samoan and they do gain size easily, so for him to cut down to that he will have to eat low glycemix carbs and high protein plus some vegges. He can do it but it wot be easy to do. lots of cardio in am before food. Hope he sticks it out.
So much of weight is diet and so much of diet for some groups is cultural. If they give him a plan and he sticks to it, there's no reason he can't get to a good playing weight. It's not like the expectation is to make weight for a wrestling or boxing match or make a switch to TE.

And for his health, I hope he learns some good guidelines that he can use the rest of his life.

How about the Dolphins model?
More than S&C, they have track stars.
And that is able to overcome some OL injuries…
Dolphins fans complain about SnC, and try to blame their Oline injuries on it.. lol

I know of a handful of D1 college lifting schedules. Ours was similar. Coach E had some focus on fast twitch, flexibility. If you check most kids 40 times, they get slower in College. Their HS 40 was their best ever, and likely aided by hand timing. Coach E was one of the few that routinely made them faster- laser timed.

Nutrition is directly tied to SnC. Having individual plans, and accountability, is the best way to maximize gains. As others have mentioned, this will go a long way... 2 pizzas a night, and 1/2 gallon of ice cream, is poor fuel to build a body. Accountability should help.

Nutrition is directly tied to SnC. Having individual plans, and accountability, is the best way to maximize gains. As others have mentioned, this will go a long way... 2 pizzas a night, and 1/2 gallon of ice cream, is poor fuel to build a body. Accountability should help.
I resemble that remark. The pizza and ice cream ... fuel to build a body ... part.

Dolphins fans complain about SnC, and try to blame their Oline injuries on it.. lol

I know of a handful of D1 college lifting schedules. Ours was similar. Coach E had some focus on fast twitch, flexibility. If you check most kids 40 times, they get slower in College. Their HS 40 was their best ever, and likely aided by hand timing. Coach E was one of the few that routinely made them faster- laser timed.

Yeah, diet is definatly 60 to 70 percent of your plan. Did u guys use bands and chains a lot or no. Cory Parker had my son using them often. amazing tools.

Yeah, diet is definatly 60 to 70 percent of your plan. Did u guys use bands and chains a lot or no. Cory Parker had my son using them often. amazing tools.
SnC stopped posting to Twitter, years ago. Maybe Dino squashed it. Perhaps the guy doing it left. Or there were less star players that had a decent base coming in. Either way, lack of posting makes them a convenient scapegoat.

If you go way back. You'll see Cuse doing Plyos, and Bands. Fast twitch. Fantastic tool. You'll see them rolling, too. Flexibility. Reduces likelihood of injury. ANY big guy should roll their hips daily. Great way to unlock them.

Cuse had the Crucible, for 1st year players- unlike repeating the same lift too often(not good), it involved lower weight, full body stuff, trying to maximize gains, in the shortest amount of time.

I'm not opposed to more lifting. Many professionals will tell you not to...

SnC stopped posting to Twitter, years ago. Maybe Dino squashed it. Perhaps the guy doing it left. Or there were less star players that had a decent base coming in. Either way, lack of posting makes them a convenient scapegoat.

If you go way back. You'll see Cuse doing Plyos, and Bands. Fast twitch. Fantastic tool. You'll see them rolling, too. Flexibility. Reduces likelihood of injury. ANY big guy should roll their hips daily. Great way to unlock them.

Cuse had the Crucible, for 1st year players- unlike repeating the same lift too often(not good), it involved lower weight, full body stuff, trying to maximize gains, in the shortest amount of time.

I'm not opposed to more lifting. Many professionals will tell you not to...
Its the lost mobility that most people fear when gaining too much muscle.

I can't speak to his S&C skills/knowledge, but I think he may have been an actual bada$$. He was on the national karate team.
He was a good SnC coach.

He is a Bad@$$. Could probably kill anyone he felt like, at will. He could be lying prone on the floor, fling himself in the air, and land in the same position 180 degrees away. A demonstration he did for recruits- blew their mind- from a guy old enough to be their Father.

Its easy to Blame SnC. Way more to it. A better Nutrition program, would have certainly been a help.

He was a good SnC coach.

He is a Bad@$$. Could probably kill anyone he felt like, at will. He could be lying prone on the floor, fling himself in the air, and land in the same position 180 degrees away. A demonstration he did for recruits- blew their mind- from a guy old enough to be their Father.

Its easy to Blame SnC. Way more to it. A better Nutrition program, would have certainly been a help.
I agree about the nurtition but any good coach should know what that particular kid needs and what he needs to improve. All Lifting coaches should know about nutrition and how it impacts their program they set up for the kid. Its literally hand to hand. U wont be good without 1 or the other.

He was a good SnC coach.

That's crazy.

I agree about the nurtition but any good coach should know what that particular kid needs and what he needs to improve. All Lifting coaches should know about nutrition and how it impacts their program they set up for the kid. Its literally hand to hand. U wont be good without 1 or the other.
Yes. Who's to say he didn't (the guy clearly keeps himself in great shape)? But if nutrition falls on the S&C coaches, why are all of the schools hiring nutrition staffs? There's a difference between being knowledgeable and developing specific meal plans for each individual. Why should our S&C coach be held to a different standard than those of other programs? To paraphrase Mitch Hedberg, I don't expect a cook to know how to farm.

Yes. Who's to say he didn't (the guy clearly keeps himself in great shape)? But if nutrition falls on the S&C coaches, why are all of the schools hiring nutrition staffs? There's a difference between being knowledgeable and developing specific meal plans for each individual. Why should our S&C coach be held to a different standard than those of other programs? To paraphrase Mitch Hedberg, I don't expect a cook to know how to farm.
Yeah i get ya but its part of process in my head anyways. Yes we should still have a nutritionist and they should all make the plan together. When i did the lifting at our local hs, i talked to the coaches and tried to tell me what they need to improve on physically wise and tried as much as i could to help or talk to the kds about eating a certain way would help them get where they wanted to go. Didnt always work but hey i tried.