SU appreciation | Syracusefan.com

SU appreciation

Crazy idea. Just hear me out. What if we actually showcased these accomplishments via banners in the Dome like a normal collegiate athletic program? Are there any other programs that have come one point from a national title for instance that totally ignore that feat inside their arena?

1682299477064.png

Last edited:
Crazy idea. Just hear me out. What if we actually showcased these accomplishments via banners in the Dome like a normal collegiate athletic program? Are there any other programs that have come one point from a national title for instance that totally ignore that feat inside their arena?

View attachment 227334

Our banners have always been pathetic. That one that was hanging forever with Gerry, Carmelo and JB with empty stands at what looked like an exhibition was so awful.

1. It's extremely hard to win in college as shown by the success in the graphic.
  2. With the opportunities that have fallen through SUs hands, they've cost themselves a chance to be considered a blue blood. Hard pill to swallow given the amount of talent that has passed through the Hill.

How can we have one of the best communication schools in the world and consistently do a poor job of promoting our brand, engaging fans and donors, and running successful events and or press conferences.

View attachment 227334
Agreed. I’m beyond annoyed at this point that we don’t have Final Four banners hanging in the Dome (not to mention conference titles). It’s an freakin embarrassment. We have them in the Melo Center. Wildhack and the athletic department need to get their act together.

View attachment 227334
I think one banner with a heading conference titles and then the years listed and then another banner with conference tournament titles and then the years listed. Not sure I would do Sweet 16 or Elite 8. But I would do individual banners for the Final 4 also.

Agreed. I’m beyond annoyed at this point that we don’t have Final Four banners hanging in the Dome (not to mention conference titles). It’s an freakin embarrassment. We have them in the Melo Center. Wildhack and the athletic department need to get their act together.
Forgive me for speaking positively about Indiana but they do a perfect job with this.

Nattys get their own banner, while secondary accomplishments are also acknowledged.

D428AE14-7B9B-4616-ABA2-433ABFF19121.jpeg
626B829D-8FEE-483E-8066-46FB9249DA2F.jpeg

We used to hang small banners for making the ncaa tournament every year. They were all on the blue curtain.

I always thought it looked cool because there were so many.
For many years we also hung banners on the blue curtain for NIT appearances, but not Final Fours. Because someone in the Athletic Department felt that was a rational thing to do. A school like us hanging a banner for an NIT appearance would be like a Ph.D. listing where they graduated from high school on their resume all in the font Comic Sans.

Last edited:
I can’t speak for everyone but if hell freezes over and we make a CFP before I die that absolutely deserves a banner.
Let's put up a banner that says "College Football Playoff" for each time we've made it. It will be blank for a bit, but I'm optimistic.

View attachment 227334

There is a 2003 National Championship banner in the Dome. It gets lost among all the LAX Championships and the 1959 Football Natty. Oddly enough, there isn't a 2022 Soccer or a 2015 Field Hockey banner. Maybe because those sports aren't played in the Dome?

At the Melo Center, they have banners for every Men's and Women's tournament appearance.

1682365475123.jpeg

There is a 2003 National Championship banner in the Dome. It gets lost among all the LAX Championships and the 1959 Football Natty. Oddly enough, there isn't a 2022 Soccer or a 2015 Field Hockey banner. Maybe because those sports aren't played in the Dome?

At the Melo Center, they have banners for every Men's and Women's tournament appearance.

View attachment 227342
Yes the field hockey championship is recognzied on the scoreboard at Coyne. I suspect they will have something at the soccer field - probably unveil it at the first home game.

But that is one unique aspect of the Dome that most other schools don't have in that 5 sports play there whose accomplishments should be recognized.

We used to hang small banners for making the ncaa tournament every year. They were all on the blue curtain.

I always thought it looked cool because there were so many.
I would love to know what Doc Gross did with it.

But that is one unique aspect of the Dome that most other schools don't have in that 5 sports play there whose accomplishments should be recognized.

Only 3 of the 5 have won championships so far.

SU does recognize all the Bowl games we've won. Just not all the games we've played in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom