SU Playing in NIL In-Season Tournament in Vegas in 2025 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

SU Playing in NIL In-Season Tournament in Vegas in 2025

It's time to take a torch to the NCAA.

Probably beyond time.
Does Boeheim officially get his wins back when the NCAA finally implodes? And it's only a matter of time.

The whole episode was absurdity, leavened with arrogance, stupidity, with spite as the cherry on top!

I believe we will still play 11 OOC games next season.

Some are already spoken for.

We will play Georgetown at the JMA Dome.

We will play an SEC team in the ACC-SEC Challenge on the road.

We will play two games in Brooklyn in the Legends Classic on November 21st and November 22nd.

It sounds like it is being planned for Thanksgiving weekend, so our commitment to the Legends Classic does not present a date conflict (assuming they do play on Thanksgiving weekend).

With an 8 team field, I am assuming the format will be like the Maui Classic, where each team is guaranteed 3 games.

If we were to also commit to the NIL tournament, it would mean we have committed to play 7 of our 11 OOC games, and only one of them is at home. Our home games are lucrative; we make a lot of money playing there. Even if we played the remaining 4 games all at home, it would mean we only play 5 of our 11 OOC games at home in 2024-25, which is really low.

We only played 6 home OOC games in 2023-24 but it was an unusual schedule in that we played Georgetown on the road and had that one off game with Oregon in South Dakota, along with 3 games in the Maui Classic.

We usually play 1 game OOC on the road. Either Georgetown or the challenge game, which tends to bounce from home to away year after year. And then we usually play a 2 game tournament in NYC, like we are doing again in 2024-25. So we usually have 3 OOC games away from home and 8 at home.

Bottom line, I think it is unlikely we are playing in this NIL thing in November 2024. If they expand it to 16 teams and plan to have everyone play 4 games (that is asking a ton for programs that have strong home attendance), it is probably a long shot we commit to it in November of 2025.

Let's see what happens.
Haha the organizers must like lighting money on fire if they want to go head to head with football Thanksgiving weekend with this. That is what makes Maui so good its perfectly scheduled for people in watch TV mode that week but not up against pigskin. Battle 4 Atlantis probably draws brutal ratings as well.

Pardon my ignorance - what makes the home games so lucrative? Is it the ticket sales and concession revenue or other sources? What is the break-even point on season ticket sales where the AD would start to be concerned? 14k? 10k? I believe we were around 16k-18k correct?
I don’t know the exact numbers but 18,000 x 30 = $540k. SU gets something in the neighborhood of that for every home game. And that is the minimum.

My guess is that for an NIL tournament in Vegas, SU would be lucky to break even financially. Travel, hotel rooms, food. A stay of multiple days. That costs a lot of money.
Sounds like the organizers are sending the money to the players, not the schools. It has to cost SU some serious cash to make the trip.

And every game played there takes $540k, maybe more from SU’s pocket.

Understand?

Paid to the collective. But if NIL technically isn't supposed to be pay-for-play, how can a tournament that pays kids to play, and pays even more if you win, be legal? NCAA rules need to change ASAP. Not sure how leadership isn't humiliated at how dumb the current state of college sports are.
Why would they be humiliated? They’re continuing to make money hand over fist and the only slight against them, the fact that players aren’t getting paid, has been rectified with zero impact to their bottom line.

Paid to the collective. But if NIL technically isn't supposed to be pay-for-play, how can a tournament that pays kids to play, and pays even more if you win, be legal? NCAA rules need to change ASAP. Not sure how leadership isn't humiliated at how dumb the current state of college sports are.
Schools are going to be playing players here within 5 years. We should be done caring about this anymore. It’s professional sports.

Schools are going to be playing players here within 5 years. We should be done caring about this anymore. It’s professional sports.
I certainly agree with where it's going but I won't blame the players. Crazy coach salaries, conferences poaching schools. Stupid amounts of admin jobs. Players finally getting what everyone else already got doesn't bother me.

College sports revenue is far past a scholarship being adequate compensation.

Why couldn't SU host a tournament at the JMA and have it sponsored by a national or Local Brand.

I don’t know the exact numbers but 18,000 x 30 = $540k. SU gets something in the neighborhood of that for every home game. And that is the minimum.

My guess is that for an NIL tournament in Vegas, SU would be lucky to break even financially. Travel, hotel rooms, food. A stay of multiple days. That costs a lot of money.
Sounds like the organizers are sending the money to the players, not the schools. It has to cost SU some serious cash to make the trip.

And every game played there takes $540k, maybe more from SU’s pocket.

Understand?
Unknown (and probably doubtful) but do the schools get a cut of the advertising and media fee for airing the tournament?

There has to be some financial incentives for the schools to commit to this besides the collectives benefitting

Looks like we missed out on this NIL players tourney that we were rumored to play in. Got bumped out by Rutgers, ND and Creighton.

Looks like we missed out on this NIL players tourney that we were rumored to play in. Got bumped out by Rutgers, ND and Creighton.

Is there an article that says that?

We were already committed to the tournament in Brooklyn for 2024. We will be in Vegas three straight years starting in 2025. A minimum of $1MM annually earmarked for men's basketball goint to our NIL Collective.

We were already committed to the tournament in Brooklyn for 2024. We will be in Vegas three straight years starting in 2025. A minimum of $1MM annually earmarked for men's basketball goint to our NIL Collective.
Thx for the scoop are they expanding the field?

Thx for the scoop are they expanding the field?
They are. Approach is 4 4-team pods in 2025 with a cross over game between two pods to give everyone three guaranteed games. They are petitioning the NCAA for a fourth game between the two crossover winners to be a de facto championship but not count against the NCAA limit of 31.

As long as a school can save on paying player costs and yet continue to each pay about 489 million to its coaches and admin they apparently will be fine with the stupidity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom