SU/Iona 1998 -- 25 years later | Syracusefan.com

SU/Iona 1998 -- 25 years later

Eric15

Living Legend
For whatever reason, this extremely exciting first-round game tends to be a bit forgotten about. Multiple lead changes in the final minute. Janulis banged a three from the top of the key with 1 second left.

For whatever reason, this extremely exciting first-round game tends to be a bit forgotten about. Multiple lead changes in the final minute. Janulis banged a three from the top of the key with 1 second left.

Watched the second half of this game in my 9th grade Earth Science class. My teacher is now a state senator. I wonder if he remembers this one.

Thanks for posting!

A couple of quick observations:

--Eric Williams sighting, I'd completely forgotten about that guy
--Elvir was in the building
--Mike Hopkins sporting a full head of hair

Oh... and BIG shot by Janulis!

I wonder if I watched this game. I’m guessing not; feels like a memory that would stick out.

I wonder if I watched this game. I’m guessing not; feels like a memory that would stick out.

What sticks out to me is that I DIDN'T see it. I was traveling that day, and caught part of the game in some bar at the Detroit Airport.

Our game wasn't the primary one being shown [in the midwest], so I was paying close attention to the ticker, nervous as hell because the game was so close. They did cut over for the end, so I got to see Janulis make the shot.

What stands out to me as well was that our game was the same day as that miracle shot from Valpo, which I also saw a short time later at that same bar, while waiting for my flight.

So what stands out more in my memory of that day is actually that kid hitting the Valpo shot, more than our game.

I think we beat New Mexico the next game -- that was awesome.

Wow...I remember that shot, but dont remember how lucky we were.

Looking at the rest of the run.
I remember NOTHING about the next game, 4 seed New Mexico, which apparantly we won by 10.

I do remember thinking that Duke team with Brand, Langdon, and Battier was gonna kill us in the S16...and they did

Wow...I remember that shot, but dont remember how lucky we were.

Looking at the rest of the run.
I remember NOTHING about the next game, 4 seed New Mexico, which apparantly we won by 10.

I do remember thinking that Duke team with Brand, Langdon, and Battier was gonna kill us in the S16...and they did

Eh, it was competitive for a good stretch. Ovcina tied it with a putback maybe halfway through the second half, then SU ran out of gas and Duke pulled away.

What sticks out to me is that I DIDN'T see it. I was traveling that day, and caught part of the game in some bar at the Detroit Airport.

Our game wasn't the primary one being shown [in the midwest], so I was paying close attention to the ticker, nervous as hell because the game was so close. They did cut over for the end, so I got to see Janulis make the shot.

What stands out to me as well was that our game was the same day as that miracle shot from Valpo, which I also saw a short time later at that same bar, while waiting for my flight.

So what stands out more in my memory of that day is actually that kid hitting the Valpo shot, more than our game.

I think we beat New Mexico the next game -- that was awesome.

I was 7, so I was probably in school (don’t know when the game was played) or idk, crapping my pants or whatever 7 year olds do.

Anyone notice - we;re playing man in at least the last part of the second half

Eh, it was competitive for a good stretch. Ovcina tied it with a putback maybe halfway through the second half, then SU ran out of gas and Duke pulled away.
I forgot that but you right...I just remember being down at half, but we did have a brief 2nd half run

My memory is Todd Burgan getting an alley pop to tie or take the lead around halfway through the second half, and the bar I was watching at in NYC went nuts, and then it felt like we didn’t score again. Could be misremembering though

My memory is Todd Burgan getting an alley pop to tie or take the lead around halfway through the second half, and the bar I was watching at in NYC went nuts, and then it felt like we didn’t score again. Could be misremembering though
Appears you are correct!

”The Hart-Burgan combination continued to produce points and the Orangemen pulled even at 49 with 12:25 left when backup center Elvir Ovcina tipped in a missed foul shot by Blackwell. Burgan hit a three-pointer and had a dunk off a lob from Hart, and Ovcina blocked a shot during the comeback.

But Avery and Brand then sparked Duke to an 11-0 run during the next five minutes. Avery had a three-pointer and an assist and Brand had two layups. From that 60-49 lead, Langdon and Brand had a runner from the key and layup, respectively, and Carrawell hit a 12-footer and a fast-break layup off a feed from Battier. The Blue Devils were in control, 68-52.”

Also, I LOVE that Boeheim timeout at 1:00 when Hart starts with the high dribble. There was no doubt that he was about to do something insane and give away that possession.
That was quite funny. That was a big ol NOPE

Hart drove me crazy during his ten year Syracuse career

Carrier Classic back in the late 70s. Iona with Vickers Glenn and Ruland and some other 6-11 kid. They were a handful. Valvano coached.

Last edited:
Was at the game “Rupp Arena” upper deck 1st row and when Janulis hit the shot I literally almost fell over the railing.

I'm pretty sure this got announced over the loud speaker when I was in school. The Cuse win

Man Marius was one of my faves growing up

This game was an early tip if I remember right.

One of my elective teachers had it on the old classroom box TV's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom