SU new DC From current staff or outside? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

SU new DC From current staff or outside?

Is there any chance Monroe bolts if he isn’t promoted? He’s been an assistant for two decades and has been under Dino for a long time now. Wouldn’t blame him if he wanted to be a DC at a lower level if he doesn’t get the chance here.

I don’t know enough about coaching defense to have any idea if he’s ready or the type of coach for it so asking without an opinion

Given our difficulty recruiting Big Uglies for the D line, and the fact that we’ve been recruiting to the 3-3-5 for several years now, I certainly hope we find somebody (internal promotion or external hire) who can keep running it effectively.

Would suck to hafta switch gears in such a big way to switch back to a 3-4 or go 4-3 or whatever.
We’ve effectively installed systems that help us with our major recruiting woes (consistent top flight OL and consistent top flight DT’s). Which I the grand scheme of things are the hardest player types to recruit every year.

I don’t really care about the who as long as he’s had success running a 3-3-5 and isn’t going to overhaul the system. Unless he has a Larry Johnson type in his pocket to bring along that will recruit the guys ND and PSU typically land at DT. Then I’d be ok with a system change.

I’d bring P in as an analyst to mentor the new guy if it’s an internal hire.
He could spend some quality time with his daughter as well…..

Big change in the future probability of the next Syracuse football head coach.

Tony White goes from 57% to 14%.

Jason Beck goes from 13% to 64%.

He could spend some quality time with his daughter as well…..

Big change in the future probability of the next Syracuse football head coach.

Tony White goes from 57% to 14%.

Jason Beck goes from 13% to 64%.
Tom, absent Dino retiring or going to Purdue, do you think a firing of Dino would involve a hire of one of his assistants?

That's insanity to me. I think the next HC of Syracuse is somewhere else.

Question for the coaches on here. How long does it take a coach to learn a system that he's never been a part of well enough to take it over as a coordinator? What about the nuances? Is that more about understanding the system or is that more about individual creativity of the coach?

Tom, absent Dino retiring or going to Purdue, do you think a firing of Dino would involve a hire of one of his assistants?

That's insanity to me. I think the next HC of Syracuse is somewhere else.
Impossible to answer right now.

I think when the time comes to hire a new HC for football, the decision should be based on the state of the program at that point, the quality of the coaches in the staff and availability, quality and interest of outside coaches.

If we have gone to 4 straight bowl games and have been averaging 8 wins a season, if there is a quality candidate in staff who is ready and able to be a HC, yes, let’s hire inside.

Coach Beck looks to me like a possible future HC. So does Coach White. There are other interesting candidates out there that have never coached here.

Let’s see what happens from now to when Coach Babers is done and make a call when it makes sense to….

Outside imo - wild guess… lifetime position coaches are typically in those roles for a reason. I have no idea if Swag has the chops, who knows, he could be the best ever. But I would think West would be more likely internally.

We might not move lightning quick on this position. Have someone internal step up for the bowl game and take our time with the search. We’ll see.

Impossible to answer right now.

I think when the time comes to hire a new HC for football, the decision should be based on the state of the program at that point, the quality of the coaches in the staff and availability, quality and interest of outside coaches.

If we have gone to 4 straight bowl games and have been averaging 8 wins a season, if there is a quality candidate in staff who is ready and able to be a HC, yes, let’s hire inside.

Coach Beck looks to me like a possible future HC. So does Coach White. There are other interesting candidates out there that have never coached here.

Let’s see what happens from now to when Coach Babers is done and make a call when it makes sense to….
But if we go to 4 straight bowl games and avg 8 wins, Dino isn't going anywhere. I agree hire within if that success is created from Dino and he decides to retire or take the Jets job or something. With him being terminated, i doubt Wildhack won't take an opportunity to hire his guy. Dino wasn't his hire and ADs only get so many chances to make their imprint if the opportunity arises in a fireable situation.

Going into the season with 2 first time coordinators in a make-or-break year seems really foolish. The concern is what experienced DC wants to work for a potential lame duck coach,

Well, A few of the players remarked that in year 2 they understood and liked the 3-3-5 defense.
If that is indeed the case, we need a coach who has been exposed to// believes in this defense.
I like the "talent" we have on the "D" side of the ball and tearing it all down- starting from scratch...?
HHHHEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

And I'm no where near convinced that guy is currently on our staff.
Break out the rolodex...:mad:

What other FBS or even FCS schools run a similar defense? So far I know New Mexico, UCF, and maybe SDSU?

I think worse case we can hire within and if the D takes a step back then 2024 Gonzales is likely available. That is kind of risky for 2023 though.

I rather see us get a guy like Shafer that can play a four man front against running teams or on running downs, and then play a 3 man front on passing downs or vs passing teams. It is harder to be multiple but I think it gives us our best chance. Either was I want an attacking D.

Outside imo - wild guess… lifetime position coaches are typically in those roles for a reason. I have no idea if Swag has the chops, who knows, he could be the best ever. But I would think West would be more likely internally.

We might not move lightning quick on this position. Have someone internal step up for the bowl game and take our time with the search. We’ll see.
In the current environment in college football, I don't know if SU/Wildhack can afford to take their time with the search.
I'm hoping that Wildhack is prepared to be decisive. Maybe he didn't have much advance notice on White and Anae departing but he should be prepared for these circumstances.

In the current environment in college football, I don't know if SU/Wildhack can afford to take their time with the search.
I'm hoping that Wildhack is prepared to be decisive. Maybe he didn't have much advance notice on White and Anae departing but he should be prepared for these circumstances.
Yeah agree with you on this. There should be a plan A and B hopefully.

If UNLV doesn't hire him, take a chance with Eddie O

That'd be a splash and he can recruit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom