SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN

I keep reading these posts hoping for some juicy tidbit on Anae and Beck but have to dig through people arguing over an unrelated topic. A typical Syracusefan thread:p
Going back to threads would be nice. Conversations go on tangents. Thread view allows one to go in and out to their liking. Topic view is so much more confined. And you are stuck reading every post even if post to post is unrelated. I miss the old board and the old mods.

My suggestion, since this thread is beyond cleansing. is just ignore the thread. Instead look for white smoke and a new thread with the title of New OC Robert Anae.
20211224_133107.gif

Oh, no! You didn’t say “… and New QB Coach Jason Beck”!? The sky is falling.

Another story with more fairly provocative quotes from Bronco on the coaches leaving UVa.

This one about Robert is interesting…

Great opportunity for Jason," said Virginia head coach Bronco Mendenhall. "For him to show his level of preparation and readiness... I'm happy for Robert. Wow, the offense, I'm not sure if it's not the best ever here.But the friendship and the loyalty and the work he's [put in], they'll be missed by me, and I'm totally supportive and a fan of where he'll end up whenever that announcement is. I can't make that announcement."

And then there are these comments. Sounds like he is not expecting many of his coaches to stay in Charlottesville. And again, it sounds like he knows where at least some of them are headed already.

It's really unique because I've coached most of them. Then they became my graduate assistants and I elevate them to full time and then I asked them to come across the country. But they came across the country in an established family, not families but family," said Mendenhall. "And wow, does that give a sense of support for wives and kids. That is atypical for college football.

"Now, individually, each family gets to choose where they're going, and they are having great, great opportunities because they're amazing coaches and people. And I have a map already, and I'm putting pins and you'll know whenever they're announced, you'll see where they're going. But I love the thought of here goes our way to influence college football with families and people that are completely prepared and I think they are they're not perfect, but they're ready."

Another story with more fairly provocative quotes from Bronco on the coaches leaving UVa.

Great opportunity for Jason," said Virginia head coach Bronco Mendenhall. "For him to show his level of preparation and readiness... I'm happy for Robert. Wow, the offense, I'm not sure if it's not the best ever here.But the friendship and the loyalty and the work he's [put in], they'll be missed by me, and I'm totally supportive and a fan of where he'll end up whenever that announcement is. I can't make that announcement."

And then there are these comments. Sounds like he is not expecting many of his coaches to stay in Charlottesville. And again, it sounds like he knows where at least some of them are headed already.

It's really unique because I've coached most of them. Then they became my graduate assistants and I elevate them to full time and then I asked them to come across the country. But they came across the country in an established family, not families but family," said Mendenhall. "And wow, does that give a sense of support for wives and kids. That is atypical for college football.

"Now, individually, each family gets to choose where they're going, and they are having great, great opportunities because they're amazing coaches and people. And I have a map already, and I'm putting pins and you'll know whenever they're announced, you'll see where they're going. But I love the thought of here goes our way to influence college football with families and people that are completely prepared and I think they are they're not perfect, but they're ready."
Great quotes and thanks, Tom! My comment was tongue in cheek, I did manage to read the thread - even some of the coaching discussions. Sure looks promising.

Another thought I had that's sort of connected to this story. I wonder if Wildhack is thinking here (and maybe even selling the idea) that these new hires are here to help Babers right the ship BUT they're also ideal candidates for the HC job if the ship sinks. Why not have them on staff and on contract so that if things go south but, for example, the offense or the defense excels, we can promote them. And if all goes well, they'll in any case be hot candidates on the HC market down the line. This strategy would indicate that the next coach in Wildhack's mind is an on-the-rise coordinator than an established head coach at a lateral or lower-level job. I could imagine that in a situation where the new coaches are in effect auditioning for the head man the open assistant jobs become more attractive to good candidates than they would be otherwise. Maybe Wildhack is a better salesman than we give him credit for?

I once read about a Lone Ranger serial done in the late 30's where Tonto showed his ability to discern what was happening by sinking his teeth into a tree, which enabled him to detect vibrations.

I wonder what opinion Tonto would have on who will be the next OC/QB coaches.

220px-Hi_Yo_Silver_lobby_card.jpg
Tonto also put his ear to the ground to learn if riders or a Buffalo herd were on the move.

Last edited:
Top end of GRob's classes were good, despite the team record. He had some big wins on the recruiting path, especially locally.
He would have been great solely as a recruiter. Period.

My suggestion, since this thread is beyond cleansing. is just ignore the thread. Instead look for white smoke and a new thread with the title of New OC Robert Anae.
Let's re-name the thread:
Hebrew National.png

Great quotes and thanks, Tom! My comment was tongue in cheek, I did manage to read the thread - even some of the coaching discussions. Sure looks promising.
I apologize for responding to you. I wanted to post that link and tried to use reply from your post ans delete your quote, so it was clean. But I couldn’t do it.

Back to the thread…yes, things look good. Trying hard not to get my hopes up so I am not crushed if this doesn’t happen.

We never hire the best coaches.

It would be awesome to have the best OC and QB coach in the conference. What a fantastic improvement over where things were a couple of years ago.

I keep reading these posts hoping for some juicy tidbit on Anae and Beck but have to dig through people arguing over an unrelated topic. A typical Syracusefan thread:p

Rich King over Wally Mahle.

COVID hits UVa before the team flies to Boston. Sounds like they might not be able to play.

Looking more ans more like a lot of bowls are not going to be played. Maybe SMU can replace Texas A&N I the Gator when Rutgers fails to field a team?

What a shame for Virginia.

If UVa can’t play, thinking this might change the timeline for announcing the new SU OC and QB coaches. At least something good would come of it.

Like all fan bases, we have a little of "Da Bears" mentality when reminiscing.

I hope we get both of the coaches.

COVID hits UVa before the team flies to Boston. Sounds like they might not be able to play.

Looking more ans more like a lot of bowls are not going to be played. Maybe SMU can replace Texas A&N I the Gator when Rutgers fails to field a team?

What a shame for Virginia.

If UVa can’t play, thinking this might change the timeline for announcing the new SU OC and QB coaches. At least something good would come of it.

Given all the transfers too, this doesn’t look good for them. Supposed to be high of 40 and rain on Dec 29, so maybe it isn’t the worst thing in the world for them as they transition coaches.

Bowl game or I dont want a christmas next year

I apologize for responding to you. I wanted to post that link and tried to use reply from your post ans delete your quote, so it was clean. But I couldn’t do it.

Back to the thread…yes, things look good. Trying hard not to get my hopes up so I am not crushed if this doesn’t happen.

We never hire the best coaches.

It would be awesome to have the best OC and QB coach in the conference. What a fantastic improvement over where things were a couple of years ago.
Right on. Name recruits are attracted to quality name coaches. It’s the natural order of things. We are part way there.