SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN | Page 38 | Syracusefan.com

SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN

Orange may still be the new fast with this hire.
Anae seems capable of running tempo.

Do you think we can cut down on all those drive-killing offsides penalties and other careless infractions?

Last edited:
First, kudos to John Wildhack for convincing the BOT to spend the money to hire these guys. I am sure we broke all kinds of records for paying assistant coaches here. Don’t think Syracuse has ever hired assistant coaches for football as distinguished as these guys. Awesome. My wildest dreams have come true.
These moves indicate to me that Babers has two years to work with here. I wonder if he took a pay cut in exchange for 2 years and a bigger assistant salary pool?

Aa`

The last 3 years Virginia has finished 60th, tied for 16th and 8th in plays per game. Syracuse was 4th 2 years ago but dropped to 119th and 99th the last 2 seasons. Now some of this is because UVa has had a really successful offense that has the ball most of the game. But Anae also likes playing fast. When he has the right personnel….

Could Sean Tucker have something to do with Anae's and Beck's decisions to come here? A chance to work with a once in a decade back?

These moves indicate to me that Babers has two years to work with here. I wonder if he took a pay cut in exchange for 2 years and a bigger assistant salary pool?
You beat me to it. I surmise that you are correct. I was wondering the same thing.

She is retweeting all sorts of things about taking the Syracuse job. Here is a retweet from one of our fans welcoming them.
I would think this is signed, sealed and delivered if she is retweeting what she is today. No way do you retweet so much even if it is 90% done. It has to be locked up imho. For some reason this cuts off that she retweeted it, but she did...
Seems like an astute and insightful Tweeter, that Cuse fan. Probably incredibly handsome as well, I would guess.

Yep. A good friend is a UVA beat reporter. Says Anae was pretty much hated by everyone. Players, admin, reporters, etc... That was before the sh** storm he stirred up leaving town.

Anae will probably coach TEs, as that was his role at UVA as well. He actually called Anae "a complete a@@ hole." Might be a bridge to Beck as OC, which is why we were able to get both.

He says Beck is a rising star and is incredibly well-liked by everyone. A great guy who will run a team one day. Called him a "QB guru."

Also says Hagans will stay at UVA and that him going to SU would be like GMac leaving SU for UVA. Hagans is a true blue UVA guy.

As an aside, he said people at UVA would like to get Chip West back on the new staff. Great in-state recruiter with solid DelMarVa connections. He's not sure how likely that is, but it's what he's hearing.

EDIT: According to this guy it's a "done deal" and has been for a few weeks. FWIW.

EDIT 2: Also said that if we like passing, Anae is our guy. Really doesn't run the ball much. It will be interesting to see how he feels about that with a guy like Sean Tucker on the team. Sounds like he is pretty innovative in the way he uses players, so we'll see.
I will hate him with everything I have after his offenses set program passing records and puts multiple QBs in the NFL for us.

We're talking hatred of a 1,000 suns kind of stuff.

Yep. A good friend is a UVA beat reporter. Says Anae was pretty much hated by everyone. Players, admin, reporters, etc... That was before the sh** storm he stirred up leaving town.

Anae will probably coach TEs, as that was his role at UVA as well. He actually called Anae "a complete a@@ hole." Might be a bridge to Beck as OC, which is why we were able to get both.

He says Beck is a rising star and is incredibly well-liked by everyone. A great guy who will run a team one day. Called him a "QB guru."

Also says Hagans will stay at UVA and that him going to SU would be like GMac leaving SU for UVA. Hagans is a true blue UVA guy.

As an aside, he said people at UVA would like to get Chip West back on the new staff. Great in-state recruiter with solid DelMarVa connections. He's not sure how likely that is, but it's what he's hearing.

EDIT: According to this guy it's a "done deal" and has been for a few weeks. FWIW.

EDIT 2: Also said that if we like passing, Anae is our guy. Really doesn't run the ball much. It will be interesting to see how he feels about that with a guy like Sean Tucker on the team. Sounds like he is pretty innovative in the way he uses players, so we'll see.
West's Twitter has been silent for a long time. He's the coach I feel the least confident about returning.

Hopefully Anae is an a hole to all the scholarship WRs sans Alford and we get a completely new crew of pass catchers out of the portal.

I saw that Nevada is losing their top 6 receivers for tomorrows bowl game with Strong prepping for the draft. I don't care what he is like in person we just became a way more attractive place to transfer to for WRs.

West's Twitter has been silent for a long time. He's the coach I feel the least confident about returning.
Because he has not tweeted since the 17th? That is a long time in Twitterverse? I would think given the plus additions on offense and the make up of the defense that he would want to stay. Possible 1st rounder in Garrett also.

Hopefully Anae is an a hole to all the scholarship WRs sans Alford and we get a completely new crew of pass catchers out of the portal.

I saw that Nevada is losing their top 6 receivers for tomorrows bowl game with Strong prepping for the draft. I don't care what he is like in person we just became a way more attractive place to transfer to for WRs.
That’s too far, there’s some talent beyond Alford.

How many Anae threads do we need?
You'll need a least two - "Anae is an offensive genius" and "I can come up with a better offense than Anae." Games will usually fall into one or the other category depending on how impressed/upset you are. There will be some plays that click perfectly and some that make you scratch your head in every game. What varies from one week to another, and affects your viewpoint, is how much of each occurs.

You'll need a least two - "Anae is an offensive genius" and "I can come up with a better offense than Anae." Games will usually fall into one or the other category depending on how impressed/upset you are. There will be some plays that click perfectly and some that make you scratch your head in every game. What varies from one week to another, and affects your viewpoint, is how much of each occurs.
Listen man, I’ll just be happy if we get more than 3 plays in a row.

So the story seems to be that Bronco was told he had to make staff changes (likely Anae was one of them). Refused to do so and walked.
That was the belief that Bronco himself has denied. His decision was a bolt from the blue and both the AD and the UVa President called him to ask him to stay.

Late add: If anything the firings were going to take place on the defensive not the offensive side of the ball.

Last edited:
Any idea or insight as to why such and such a reporter thought Anae was "hated?"

The positive should have far outweighed the negative since your offense was 3rd in the country. If it didn’t, then those posters are clowns.

Thanks for the info, Hoo's That

What's your take on the personality stuff?

Cough (rationalization) cough.

gotta love that global warming

I buy AquaNet on eBay and spray a little outside each day hoping to contribute. Definitely has made winters pretty mild the last few years and I’m happy to help.