SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN

Could this have bene the result of a "change your staff or I'll change you ultimatum from Wildhack? Maybe Wildhack engineered this and now it will be Dino's challenge to let Anae and Beck run the offense and White the defense while he basically does the radio show?
And not to split hairs, but I’ve worked in systems and know other systems where the head coach was a CEO type instead of being in charge of a unit. And there is a lot to do in terms of managing the overall program.

A lot of the most successful football programs of all time had a head coach who let his coaches coach.

So we now have Def, Off, QB, and ST covered. I just hope one of them can help Dino with his clock management/in game decisions. Would a parrot that squawks 'timeout!' Or 'go for it! - don't punt!' Count against the assistant coach limit?
No. Parrots are not mentioned in the contract.

Last edited:
These moves indicate to me that Babers has two years to work with here. I wonder if he took a pay cut in exchange for 2 years and a bigger assistant salary pool?
I had the same thought.

I agree Bees. The 1966 storm was far worse, it lasted for days. I remember it started Friday afternoon and just kept snowing. I didn't drive from noon on Sunday until Tuesday.

Regarding the '93 storm, I have a friend who lived in Palermo in Oswego County. He was a smoker and came home that night with about half a pack of smokes. Palermo got over 100 inches of snow. Instead of rationing his cigarettes he smoked them all then spent several hours tunneling out to his truck to get the butts out of the ashtray. Anybody who has ever smoked can relate to that. Smoking has a very strong hold on you.
It made headlines in "The Stars and Stripes, the military paper. I was stationed in Harrogate, England at the time.

I agree Bees. The 1966 storm was far worse, it lasted for days. I remember it started Friday afternoon and just kept snowing. I didn't drive from noon on Sunday until Tuesday.
‘66 was one of the most memorable weather events of my life. In addition to all the snow there was a lot of wind. Our house had a breezeway room connecting the house to the garage and it was totally snowed in up to the roof line.The door on the west side of the house was mercifully clear. The house next door had a drift that went all the way up to the bottom of their second floor window. No snowblowers in those days so my Brother, my Dad, and I had to throw shovels of snow way up in the air onto snowbanks on the sides of the driveway. My recollection is that it took days for the street to be plowed.

Mine too. That blizzard was an order of magnitude worse than anything I have seen since. All4SU has some great stories about a blizzard in 1925 that sounds pretty bad as well.

View attachment 212176
I, of course, was too young to remember the Great Blizzard of ‘25. But it didn’t hold a candle to the Winter storm of ‘03 (That’s 1903 according to me father.)

Blizzard of '66...aaahhhhh the gold old days before the "weather channel".
Started snowing hard Sunday afternoon- woke up Monday morning to a new foot and a half of snow on top of what was already on the ground. A friend of my Dad lived in the neighborhood/worked at the same place and called offering him a ride into work. I didn't see him again until Friday afternoon following a snow plow in on foot. That week we shoveled a "trench" to the house across the street so that we could share food among families. Mom aged about 3 years that week stuck in a house with a handful of kids:mad:

Blizzard of '66...aaahhhhh the gold old days before the "weather channel".
Started snowing hard Sunday afternoon- woke up Monday morning to a new foot and a half of snow on top of what was already on the ground. A friend of my Dad lived in the neighborhood/worked at the same place and called offering him a ride into work. I didn't see him again until Friday afternoon following a snow plow in on foot. That week we shoveled a "trench" to the house across the street so that we could share food among families. Mom aged about 3 years that week stuck in a house with a handful of kids:mad:

Our television was in the repair shop. The radio was nothing but blizzard news. We had no choice but to entertain each other. We played games, sang songs, told stories, talked everything through. When they finally cleared things out, we got our TV back and started watching that again and stopped relating to each other.

Regarding the '93 storm, I have a friend who lived in Palermo in Oswego County. He was a smoker and came home that night with about half a pack of smokes. Palermo got over 100 inches of snow. Instead of rationing his cigarettes he smoked them all then spent several hours tunneling out to his truck to get the butts out of the ashtray. Anybody who has ever smoked can relate to that. Smoking has a very strong hold on you.
Being in health care Went to a addiction seminar pre Covid on how to help these folks, and the gist was if nicotine was invented today they said it would be on the controlled substance list right up there with heroin and morphine. Think about for a second so you’re right. .

Wow. Looks like Elliott is planning on using Des Kitchings as his OC. Kitchings has a reputation as a fine recruiter but he was a disaster as an OC at Vandy and later at NC State (he shared the OC role with McDonald there).

Got replaced after a year both times he had a shot at being an OC.

What a drop off for UVa. I feel for their fans.

Wow. Looks like Elliott is planning on using Des Kitchings as his OC. Kitchings has a reputation as a fine recruiter but he was a disaster as an OC at Vandy and later at NC State (he shared the OC role with McDonald there).

We could all be wrong but it seems like they had a decent thing going and they're going to blow it up on a bet...

Being in health care Went to a addiction seminar pre Covid on how to help these folks, and the gist was if nicotine was invented today they said it would be on the controlled substance list right up there with heroin and morphine. Think about for a second so you’re right. .
I remember my doctor telling me that Nicotine is as addictive as cocaine and they don't sell cocaine at the gas station. I finally gave it up in November of 2000. Now I have emphysema. If I hadn't given up smoking in 2000 I wouldn't be alive today

I lived in Palermo in '93. We didn't get 100 inches at my house. We probably got around that in a storm in '92 over the course of 2 days though.

Oswego County got another big one around 2008. I think they got about 10 feet or so over the course of a week. I was living in Liverpool at the time and drove up to Mexico High School to check it out. Standing on the sidewalk in front of the school the snow was higher than what I could reach over my head (close to 8 ft).

I lived in Palermo in '93. We didn't get 100 inches at my house. We probably got around that in a storm in '92 over the course of 2 days though.

Oswego County got another big one around 2008. I think they got about 10 feet or so over the course of a week. I was living in Liverpool at the time and drove up to Mexico High School to check it out. Standing on the sidewalk in front of the school the snow was higher than what I could reach over my head (close to 8 ft).
Yep, I drove up from Camillus to see it as I couldn’t comprehend what 10 ft of snow looked like. It was awesome and it was still snowing.

One of the amazing things is that we could see the dark lake effect clouds to the north while we had bright sunshine in Camillus and barely got any snow those couple of days.

I hope Armstrong bails to the NFL because of this

Superb work by wildhack. Those who question his intentions are crazy. I believe in him.

I do think the key is Beck. Anae and Dino are in their 60s. I wonder if the plan is to bring in Theo Epstein esque savant and to take over once the other guys ride into sunset in x years. He may see Syracuse a destination for a guy who isn’t grass is greener. We didn’t fire Dino and others took notice is my guess

I’m thinking he could be the anti Tom O’Brien.
Great take. SU is an excellent job. The school is extremely patient. We have excellent resources and i truly believe the portal benefits us way more than it hurts. A good coach can 4m a year for as long as they want. Win 5 -8 games a year. Occasionally have a magic year. Pull the upset once in awhile and your a God here.

Is there any news or any discussion that is focused on the actual topic of the 2 (potential) new coaches? I don't really need a weather report from my childhood, but might be interested in this topic. It seems to come up in about every 5th post.