SU Will Miss the BE A Lot More Than the BE Will Miss SU | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU Will Miss the BE A Lot More Than the BE Will Miss SU

I think we would all like to freeze time (2002). I just hope that when you say you "hate" the move to the ACC, you blame the Big East leadership and not SU administrators. SU played the hand they were dealt by the BE. We simply said "no thank you" to the current set-up. IMO, with each and every announcement of new BE members, our move is VALIDATED. Remember, Memphis hired Tranghese because they had applied to the BE countless times and were turned down. And now they will become members. That says a lot about the direction of the conference; they are scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point. See ya.

I'd rather freeze time on 4/8/03.

I think we would all like to freeze time (2002).

Don't count me as part of your "all". It always drove me nuts to be a part of a conference of which half were non-football playing members. Certainly the pre-2002 Big East was better than the unwieldy mess of the last 8 years but I still would trade the old Big East for the stability/prestige of the ACC every day of the week. Peace, BE.

Big East is a mess but notwithstanding that, I wonder where Cuse is really going to stand in the ACC. Who's going to be it's hated rivals? BC? VA Tech? Pitt maybe?

Shame that the old big east couldnt have stayed the way it was. Football killed what was the best basketball conference ever.

Big East is a mess but notwithstanding that, I wonder where Cuse is really going to stand in the ACC. Who's going to be it's hated rivals? BC? VA Tech? Pitt maybe?

Shame that the old big east couldnt have stayed the way it was. Football killed what was the best basketball conference ever.

Uh, no. The Big East had many options available that would have stabilized the conference and allowed it to be viable in football and basketball. However, the catholic school hoops only schools would have lost significant clout in any of those options and as a result Big East leadership chose not to consider any of them. What killed the Big East was short sighted leadership and parochialism - the need for stability that drove the founding members on the football side away was merely a result of that leadership.

Don't count me as part of your "all". It always drove me nuts to be a part of a conference of which half were non-football playing members. Certainly the pre-2002 Big East was better than the unwieldy mess of the last 8 years but I still would trade the old Big East for the stability/prestige of the ACC every day of the week. Peace, BE.

I don't think it will really hit home until the first BET that we're not a part of. There is so much ritual involved that the ACC will never emulate it. But the ritual of the BET...securing tickets. Deciding which t-shirt to wear. Figuring out a way to sneak out of work for an afternoon game or at least to sneak off to a bar. Talking with other team's fans at Stout. LGO chants at Blarney. Last year's UConn game everyone around me from other schools was cheering for UConn over us. In 6OT everyone around us was cheering for us. Pitt and WVU fans getting along to cheer on a common enemy over another common enemy. Bilas, Raf and McDonough calling the prime time games. The one time the City cares about college basketball, if there's an exciting tournament there is more buzz than the NCAA (at least among the people I'm around). The rest of the college basketball world wishes it could have what the Big East has with its championship.

So yeah, I'm ready and excited for the ACC and am just grateful for the memories and we have a memorable tournament this year.

I don't think it will really hit home until the first BET that we're not a part of. There is so much ritual involved that the ACC will never emulate it. But the ritual of the BET...securing tickets. Deciding which t-shirt to wear. Figuring out a way to sneak out of work for an afternoon game or at least to sneak off to a bar. Talking with other team's fans at Stout. LGO chants at Blarney. Last year's UConn game everyone around me from other schools was cheering for UConn over us. In 6OT everyone around us was cheering for us. Pitt and WVU fans getting along to cheer on a common enemy over another common enemy. Bilas, Raf and McDonough calling the prime time games. The one time the City cares about college basketball, if there's an exciting tournament there is more buzz than the NCAA (at least among the people I'm around). The rest of the college basketball world wishes it could have what the Big East has with its championship.

So yeah, I'm ready and excited for the ACC and am just grateful for the memories and we have a memorable tournament this year.

Meh. When we play our first ACC tournament, what are you going to think of the BE tournament? A tournament that might have match-ups like Marq vs. DePaul, SMU vs. Houston, Providence vs Cincy, Memphis vs. USF, UCF vs. UConn. When you see those matchups on ESPN3, you will be grateful for the ACC.

Meh. When we play our first ACC tournament, what are you going to think of the BE tournament? A tournament that might have match-ups like Marq vs. DePaul, SMU vs. Houston, Providence vs Cincy, Memphis vs. USF, UCF vs. UConn. When you see those matchups on ESPN3, you will be grateful for the ACC.

I get what you're saying. I'm just saying for ME and for being in the city and being a short walk or subway ride away from the Garden...when we're gone I'm never going to be able to experience that again. And the ACC will hopefully format to have Friday night semis and saturday night finals, because the sunday afternoon crowd is boring as hell to watch.

Trust me, I WANT to be in the ACC next year, but at the same, I'm going to miss certain aspects of the Big East. And I get pissed off when I read comments from anonymous conference officials that Syracuse is the ONE school the BE couldn't afford to lose, and then I see how the BE has shat on us for years. The most upsetting was the comment by Tranghese that in hindsight he should have fought more for SU to get a bowl game one year we were left out. I resent the Big East and the commissioners from PC who only care about PC and for forcing Syracuse to leave something that i've been following and have kind of loved since I was 12.

I get what you're saying. I'm just saying for ME and for being in the city and being a short walk or subway ride away from the Garden...when we're gone I'm never going to be able to experience that again. And the ACC will hopefully format to have Friday night semis and saturday night finals, because the sunday afternoon crowd is boring as hell to watch.

Trust me, I WANT to be in the ACC next year, but at the same, I'm going to miss certain aspects of the Big East. And I get pissed off when I read comments from anonymous conference officials that Syracuse is the ONE school the BE couldn't afford to lose, and then I see how the BE has shat on us for years. The most upsetting was the comment by Tranghese that in hindsight he should have fought more for SU to get a bowl game one year we were left out. I resent the Big East and the commissioners from PC who only care about PC and for forcing Syracuse to leave something that i've been following and have kind of loved since I was 12.

I completely agree with everything you've said here.

In terms of the last 10 years we certainly have a number of other rivalries that have been closer/more intense than GTown; UConn, Nova, Pitt. GTown has nothing, they need us a lot more than we need them. They are grasping at straws saying they "made us". We're about to be a conference with Pitt, UNC, Duke, up and coming teams such as FSU, NC State and UVA. The Big East is dead.

We're Ohio State, Georgetown is Toledo.

The article is a joke but let's not get ahead of ourselves on that last part. I know it's popular here to think that the crap in the ACC will all get better because a) they get to play Syracuse now and b) the Big East is going to turn into the MAAC tomorrow, therefore meaning all would-be Big East kids will all now go to the ACC. Adding Miami and VTech was supposed to make the ACC a football juggernaut, 8 years later that hasn't happened.

I don't want to hear what any school who doesn't play football thinks. Not one of them. They are irrelevant or soon will be. It's about football. It's about all sports. It's about the future. It's not about the past. And it's certainly NOT about Providence, Seton Hall, Georgetown, Marquette, Saint Johns, Villanova or DePaul et al.

I think we would all like to freeze time (2002). I just hope that when you say you "hate" the move to the ACC, you blame the Big East leadership and not SU administrators. SU played the hand they were dealt by the BE. We simply said "no thank you" to the current set-up. IMO, with each and every announcement of new BE members, our move is VALIDATED. Remember, Memphis hired Tranghese because they had applied to the BE countless times and were turned down. And now they will become members. That says a lot about the direction of the conference; they are scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point. See ya.

Correct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom