Summer Workouts | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Summer Workouts

This feels like one of those years where we blow up in a preseason tournament and the national media goes “where did this come from?” We all follow the team closely and know we can be dangerous. I think we show out in Maui. The floor is 5-8 seed in the tournament. I think the ceiling is absolutely Elite 8 or Final Four. Guards win in college and we have elite guards if they play to their potential. It’s been awhile since I’ve been this excited for basketball. I’m bullish on Taylor and Bell as well.
I love your optimism and sure hope you're right! That said, it wouldn't be terribly surprising to me if it takes some time before we're firing on all cylinders. We have a lot of new guys, new roles, new system, and new coach. I do think we have a high ceiling but it could take a bit longer than some are thinking.

I love your optimism and sure hope you're right! That said, it wouldn't be terribly surprising to me if it takes some time before we're firing on all cylinders. We have a lot of new guys, new roles, new system, and new coach. I do think we have a high ceiling but it could take a bit longer than some are thinking.
I get what you are saying, but everyone has new guys in 2023. That is college basketball these days.

Yup. Plus, we have a clear #1. There's no question Judah is our horse.

Lots of other teams are figuring out their hierarchy, and the top of ours is clear.
Excellent point... While we aren't sure on the rotation, we are mostly sure about 4 starters going into the preseason, and absolutely certain who's going to have the ball when we need a basket.

And that guy is likely to be among the best players in the country.

Excellent point... While we aren't sure on the rotation, we are mostly sure about 4 starters going into the preseason, and absolutely certain who's going to have the ball when we need a basket.

And that guy is likely to be among the best players in the country.

Not to mention its possible that both JJ and Chance are top 20 guards across the country to go with as supportive pieces next to Judah. It very much has the making of a team that does sneak up on the Maui field and make some waves.

Every team in Maui for the most part has new pieces to integrate. Some with new guys at that top dog position. Guard play is huge in both pre season and post season.

I'm not trying to piss in anyone's cereal. My point is only that it may take a bit longer for us to come together as a team than some may think. Obviously I hope we gel right away and kick a$$ in Maui.

Don't think I've ever seen a team gel before December. Generally talent plays a large role early on especially at the guard spot( just as it does in the tourney but obviously with a team having come together by then) . That's even more present in this portal era. You need talent and "dawgs" to go out there and make it happen as things as a team come together. When you look at our struggles in the non conference and then seeing signs of life as the conference season comes along it tells that story well. We've not had that talent level to lean on. We had Judah last year yes and to some degree Jesse but honestly not that higher level talent that wins you games early on. Pair that with the flaws of the zone and it's been a non conference losing strategy.

Don't think I've ever seen a team gel before December. Generally talent plays a large role early on especially at the guard spot( just as it does in the tourney but obviously with a team having come together by then) . That's even more present in this portal era. You need talent and "dawgs" to go out there and make it happen as things as a team come together. When you look at our struggles in the non conference and then seeing signs of life as the conference season comes along it tells that story well. We've not had that talent level to lean on. We had Judah last year yes and to some degree Jesse but honestly not that higher level talent that wins you games early on. Pair that with the flaws of the zone and it's been a non conference losing strategy.
We have had a lot of big Novembers followed by stagnant Decembers.

Not to mention its possible that both JJ and Chance are top 20 guards across the country to go with as supportive pieces next to Judah. It very much has the making of a team that does sneak up on the Maui field and make some waves.

Every team in Maui for the most part has new pieces to integrate. Some with new guys at that top dog position. Guard play is huge in both pre season and post season.
Wish we could play St. John’s again and run them by 20 now that we’ve got the horses to make them pay for trying to get after us like that.

Pisses me off that we’ve had so much trouble with their scrubby little teams that run around and try hard, the last 6-7 years.

We have had a lot of big Novembers followed by stagnant Decembers.

We haven't had a big November since the last Final Four year which was followed by w rough December ( JB suspension).

Looking back actually when we have had really strong Novembers - December has been generally good too. I think you are specifically talking about that FF season. Otherwise we have had stagnant non conference seasons in general or good non conference seasons in general.

We haven't had a big November since the last Final Four year which was followed by w rough December ( JB suspension).

Looking back actually when we have had really strong Novembers - December has been generally good too. I think you are specifically talking about that FF season. Otherwise we have had stagnant non conference seasons in general or good non conference seasons in general.
Don't think I've ever seen a team gel before December.” That was your opening sentence. I disagreed and you just agreed with my point. Words matter.
JB rarely lost big November games. Great tournament successes.

Don't think I've ever seen a team gel before December.” That was your opening sentence. I disagreed and you just agreed with my point. Words matter.
JB rarely lost big November games. Great tournament successes.

You posted a single sentence reply that was inaccurate.. so quite the interesting conversation you are having in your own head here. Not any of that was in your post or validated by my response. The common theme here was talent and the zone. A team winning in November and December is not confirming a team had gelled together in November.

The talent gap, paired with the deficiencies in running zone showed up in weak Nov and Dec results since 16-17. Let's not make this about JB though as you are trying to do and trying to troll this into an argument.

Last edited:
Red's going to have a hard time not finding a spot in the starting lineup for Westry. He's perfect for the anticipated new style and he's going to be a problem for other teams.
I love the idea of bringing Westry and Maliq off the bench. They’re probably the two most versatile guys on the roster, so you can plug them in at multiple positions as the 6th and 7th men. They’re both going to be key players. Q also has that versatility.

Last edited:
The great thing, is we will have an attacking defense which will win some games. Playing a lot of people will wear out an opponent, especially at the end of the year.

Lots of interchangeable players. Multiple players that can take it off the bounce. Lots of length. The guys and Red will take time to gel but the talent is there to have a good season. Im thinking 7 seed.

I disagree.

If you've been a fan for a dozen years or so, you'd remember the '09-'10 team. They wiped out Cal and UNC in the Garden and went on to win the BE regular season. They gelled nicely.

(And then Arinze got hurt. . .)

I disagree.

If you've been a fan for a dozen years or so, you'd remember the '09-'10 team. They wiped out Cal and UNC in the Garden and went on to win the BE regular season. They gelled nicely.

(And then Arinze got hurt. . .)

There's a difference between gelling before December and gelling in general though( which happens for all good teams) which was my point. That team had some great individual play and wins early but really started clicking after they beat Florida and then got into conference. I've been a fan far longer than that and am also an alum ('06).

I remember that team fondly- easily one of the best SU teams ever.

Again though the point is that it takes time and thus you really need that talent to carry you early on and then be the x factor to beat other good teams in the tourney. Cal and UNC that year weren't nearly as good as thought especially UNC. Honestly our best win early on was Cornell and then Florida once you look at the year as a whole.

There's a difference between gelling before December and gelling in general though( which happens for all good teams) which was my point. That team had some great individual play and wins early but really started clicking after they beat Florida and then got into conference. I've been a fan far longer than that and am also an alum ('06).

I remember that team fondly- easily one of the best SU teams ever.

Again though the point is that it takes time and thus you really need that talent to carry you early on and then be the x factor to beat other good teams in the tourney. Cal and UNC that year weren't nearly as good as thought especially UNC. Honestly our best win early on was Cornell and then Florida once you look at the year as a whole.
I was in the Garden that week. The vibe of those around me was that this team was the real deal. Call them "gelled" or whatever, they looked like a finished product. The concern was sustainability, as we had seen February swoons more than once.

That is an awesome highlight video. Two things really jump out.

First, we haven't seen that many dunks in a season from a guard in a looooong time.

Second, I forgot how many of those buckets came from his own defense. It wasn't a coincidence he had so many steals last season.

Judah's a special talent. I'm so glad he's back. He's going to have a monster season.

I was in the Garden that week. The vibe of those around me was that this team was the real deal. Call them "gelled" or whatever, they looked like a finished product. The concern was sustainability, as we had seen February swoons more than once.

It matters none really anyways. That year started with a surprising strong start given many unknowns. I'm not going to nitpick over the sentiments over 1 great year anymore . I don't think debating 09-10 changes anything about the point in general which is even more relevant in today's portal era.

How about this - I'm wrong there was a year and you are right for pointing it out. I will stand corrected and apologize for any perceived disrespect placed on that team. The remaining point still stands though. Deal?

Last edited:
It matters none really anyways. That year started with a surprising strong start given many unknowns. I'm not going to nitpick over the sentiments over 1 great year anymore . I don't think debating 09-10 changes anything about the point in general which is even more relevant in today's portal era.

How about this - I'm wrong there was a year and you are right for pointing it out. I will stand corrected and apologize for any perceived disrespect placed on that team. The remaining point still stands though. Deal?
"Deal" is my middle name. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom