Summer Workouts | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Summer Workouts

Well at least we got something lol... Not surprised forwards and the big guy were the ones mostly mentioned given it was Cmac, Rak and Jimmy giving quotes.

Couple other overanalysis of a short article-

The rim protection comments are great to hear on McLeod. Bringing the ball down is no Bueno but Griff has done a great job with bigs in his time year focusing on our bigs keeping the ball high. Confident he can get through to the big fella for the limited touches he will get inside that aren't lobs.

Good to hear on Benny's confidence and that he stood out.

Good to hear on JJ too. JJ has a big chip it seems and that's a good thing for us. He looks ready to go based on the work he has done to his body.
Why do bigs feel they have to bring the ball down as opposed to turning around and shooting it? Do they feel they are too far from the rim?

This is what we’ve been waiting for, right? Not much information in here, but still interesting. If you can’t read it, I could probably copy and paste unless that’s against the law.
Sounds like they were impressed by McLeod. Which is great.

McCullough talked a little about Starling and seemed to like him.

Wish a guard or two was interviewed who went head to head with the SU guards. Would like to hear what they thought of Judah, JJ, Chance and Kyle.

Hope there is a follow up story with more after the BA game tonight.

I can't get enough of this kind of stuff.

Mods, you might want to merge this with the Summer Workouts thread.

Why do bigs feel they have to bring the ball down as opposed to turning around and shooting it? Do they feel they are too far from the rim?

Not sure. I will say that I think the tendency going back to youth days and drills in using a power dribble plays its part. It's so hard to do that in today's game if you aren't able to be very quick into your move. Thus it ends up being a turnover instead. Especially when it's all the defender can do if they are giving up a ton of size.

McLeod got a hell of a good experience if he had to go up vs Rak, CMac , Chewy and Wilson.

Sounds like they were impressed by McLeod. Which is great.

McCullough talked a little about Starling and seemed to like him.

Wish a guard or two was interviewed who went head to head with the SU guards. Would like to hear what they thought of Judah, JJ, Chance and Kyle.

Hope there is a follow up story with more after the BA game tonight.

I can't get enough of this kind of stuff.

Yeah - had say Tyus or even Mali not been a scratch we probably get more guard feedback. I can see where it would be weird asking Buycks or Robinson.

I still think McLeod could surprise as a solid addition. His tape wasn't bad, he's massive at 7-4 not just height wise and he's going to play with a much better stable of guards. Hamilton to me the last two years is hitting that wall saying it's time to retire. Yeah they had injuries but he still just hasn't done well with his teams the past two years. I expect we see good things from Naheem and Miami sees big things from Cleveland.

Yeah - had say Tyus or even Mali not been a scratch we probably get more guard feedback. I can see where it would be weird asking Buycks or Robinson.

I still think McLeod could surprise as a solid addition. His tape wasn't bad, he's massive at 7-4 not just height wise and he's going to play with a much better stable of guards. Hamilton to me the last two years is hitting that wall saying it's time to retire. Yeah they had injuries but he still just hasn't done well with his teams the past two years. I expect we see good things from Naheem and Miami sees big things from Cleveland.
Coach Griff agrees with you about McLeod. Yes, all the players Mike interviewed played for SU. John Gillon would have been another guy who could have provided some insights.

Still would be interested to hear what the BA guards thought though.

Coach Griff agrees with you about McLeod. Yes, all the players Mike interviewed played for SU. John Gillon would have been another guy who could have provided some insights.

Still would be interested to hear what the BA guards thought though.

For sure. Good point on Gillon. Too bad he couldn't have suited back up for BA.

I definitely wish there was more insight in the article; however, I'm thrilled to hear McLeod is looking good. I've had trouble pegging how he'll do for us. If he can play at a high level defensively including preventing teams from going inside due to the block threat, rebound, and finish lobs and putbacks offensively, we will be in very good shape to be ranked.

Improved arc on the shot. I like Benny but…

Looks like a set (stationary, no lift, no urgency) shot that starts near his chest (blockable).

How often will he will be that open and set to get that shot In a game situation?

While it is an improvement, will have to wait to see for effectiveness.
Every improvement starts with the first step... Good questions. We need Benny big time next season.

Justin Taylor's biggest strength is going to be extremely helpful in this team: the ability to catch and shoot.

Every basket he had this year seemed to come from getting to his spot, receiving the pass and shooting quickly and accurately.

There are going to be even more guys who can find him at the three point line this year.

Justin gives Red a lot of options. There’s a lot of minutes that Red is going to have to find for this team.
If I were Red, I’d tell the guys to go out and give it everything they’ve got. Run up and down the court, no jogging. Exert yourself in defense. Don’t worry, we’ve got dudes. You get tired, we’ll put in another dude.

If I were Red, I’d tell the guys to go out and give it everything they’ve got. Run up and down the court, no jogging. Exert yourself in defense. Don’t worry, we’ve got dudes. You get tired, we’ll put in another dude.
There are so many questions to be asked. Will Red have a short hook or will he let guys play. Will he establish a set substitution pattern or will he let the flow dictate it.

Hopefully our depth will be an asset that we can go 10 deep effectively.

There are so many questions to be asked. Will Red have a short hook or will he let guys play. Will he establish a set substitution pattern or will he let the flow dictate it.

Hopefully our depth will be an asset that we can go 10 deep effectively.

One of the things that's important is that talent is talent. You don't have to play 30 minutes or even 20 minutes to have an important role. 10 guys shouldn't be difficult playing an aggressive fast paced style of basketball. It will be a different mix of how minutes go up and down depending on the matchup.

You see guys averaging under 10 ppg getting drafted off deep and talented teams.

John Thompson coaching philosophy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom