SUNY Cortland - Final Four | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

SUNY Cortland - Final Four

Have a player on that team. Dominant win. I might make the trip to the chip game
Is it in VA still or did they move it again. Phenix City, Alabama was no place for a championship game! I hated the way they spelled their city name too!

Is it in VA still or did they move it again. Phenix City, Alabama was no place for a championship game! I hated the way they spelled their city name too!
True but that’s where we won some Staggs!! I was a jr in ‘91 for the last one vs Dayton. Great memories!

It’s in Virginia again.

UAlb game is the only quarter final FCS game not on ESPN. Got to play in that crazy Kibbie dome/quonset hut with the goal posts hanging from the roof. UA is a defensive power. they can do it.
Imagine if they still had Verse

I was a junior when we won it all in ‘88. I went to the Gamma Delta Pi formal instead of the game. I’m still not sure that I made the right call!
Haha, I’m thinking you didn’t.
My crew decided not to go in 91 since it was on live on espn. Had a blowout party at the circle apartments that day which turned into a mud pit slide after the game. Feels like yesterday!

I grew up in Cortland and work at North Central College. I was really rooting for this game to happen. I have to pull for the Cardinals because I've been following all year. We have a great mobile quarterback who is a Gagliardi Trophy finalist and a three year starter with a fantastic O-line to give him space. The defense is very aggressive and has gotten exposed a little bit when they've played against better teams in the playoffs, but they've caused a few key turnovers which have saved us. Our kicking and punting games are not great. It should be a fun game.

I grew up in Cortland and work at North Central College. I was really rooting for this game to happen. I have to pull for the Cardinals because I've been following all year. We have a great mobile quarterback who is a Gagliardi Trophy finalist and a three year starter with a fantastic O-line to give him space. The defense is very aggressive and has gotten exposed a little bit when they've played against better teams in the playoffs, but they've caused a few key turnovers which have saved us. Our kicking and punting games are not great. It should be a fun game.

What is your perspective on why midwestern teams, (North Central, Mount Union, Whitewater) have bene so dominant in recent years while CNY teams, (Ithaca, Cortland, Union, who made the finals twice, etc.) haven't been able to make it to the title game, much less win it, in 32 years?

What is your perspective on why midwestern teams, (North Central, Mount Union, Whitewater) have bene so dominant in recent years while CNY teams, (Ithaca, Cortland, Union, who made the finals twice, etc.) haven't been able to make it to the title game, much less win it, in 32 years?

It depends on the school I think. The Wisconsin schools are as big as many Division I schools so they have a pretty good pool to pull from. I think that it's just part of the DNA at Mount Union. North Central has been putting some resources into coaching and recruiting. Most of our student body is from Illinois but our football team recruits from Florida and Texas.

It depends on the school I think. The Wisconsin schools are as big as many Division I schools so they have a pretty good pool to pull from. I think that it's just part of the DNA at Mount Union. North Central has been putting some resources into coaching and recruiting. Most of our student body is from Illinois but our football team recruits from Florida and Texas.

I'm wondering if it's about facilities: the NCAA limits scholarships but you can build what you want if it gives you an edge. I've just had the impression that the DIII champions of recent years are all on a different level from the champions when Ithaca was winning them.

I couldn’t hold back anymore. Headed to Salem on Friday. I won’t miss watching my guys play for a once in a lifetime type opportunity.

For those of you who don’t know, I played college ball with Cortland HC Fitzpatrick and coached with him for years.

For all of us that know Curt and his staff this playoff run is no surprise. They’re the best of the best.

Go Red Dragons!!!

Last edited:
Haha, I’m thinking you didn’t.
My crew decided not to go in 91 since it was on live on espn. Had a blowout party at the circle apartments that day which turned into a mud pit slide after the game. Feels like yesterday!
Had a lot of fun up at Circles in the early 2000s. Cortaca parties there were perfect for the short walk.

Northeast football!

Chance to win the FCS 1AA and D3 National Championships.

UAlbany vs South Dakota State tonight at 7pm ESPN - winner advances to NC game

Cortland State vs North Central (IL) 7pm ESPNU - winner is National Champ

albany a 20 pt dog. right now.

I have no idea how anyone matches up but Villanova was a common opponent for both schools.

Nova lost by 9 to SDS (12-23)
Nova lost by 21 to Albany (10-31)

Granted, these players don't play at the physical level that the power 5 programs do, but the fan enjoyment level is still there for me. NIL and the portal become very secondary issues and are replaced by a true feeling of commitment to the school, your teammates, and the athletic program.

Having played at the D111 level I can honestly say it was one of the highlights of my life without all the outside issues surrounding major college sports today. Good for the D1 athletes that they are getting $$, but I'll take my memories any day (and the education helped get me $$ down the line anyway).

Last edited:
Truly historic things are happening in New York football.