Sure | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn’t make them bad fans, it just makes them fans and fans usually are wrong with how to solve the problem. I know it makes people feel better to think there are magic answers off in the mist, but when JB leaves, be prepared for a ROUGH few years, maybe even a couple losing seasons in a row.
I mean we’ve had some pretty ROUGH years with JB at the helm recently and could have a losing season this year. At some point you have to take a look at the program and say there needs to be change and that might include another down year or two but for long term success it is needed. But you are right fans never know what is needed and you should probably just stay status quo because that’s the best way to solve issues.

It doesn’t make them bad fans, it just makes them fans and fans usually are wrong with how to solve the problem. I know it makes people feel better to think there are magic answers off in the mist, but when JB leaves, be prepared for a ROUGH few years, maybe even a couple losing seasons in a row.
Not to mention the reason why it might be a rough few years if we replace JB is because of our horrible roster construction which is the head coaches fault. Last I checked the coach is in charge of recruiting and roster management.

Rather have them now then continue to be irrelevant and then STILL have to have them...if they are inevitable as you say.

I’ve played quite a bit of golf with JB and the asst coaches during my time. Always thinks he gets bad breaks on the course that only happens to him. Doesn’t think any golf course is really spectacular (Augusta included). The asst coaches had to teach him how to text because he didn’t want to so I know exactly what you’re talking about. Unfortunately there’s so much I know that I can’t share

Wow you sound like a great friend.

JB has always been disgusting in post game press conferences. This is not new. He loathes and bullies the local press. He has done this for at least 20 years. Nobody is going to fire him or discipline him about it, or they would have done so already. I feel that he is preposterously unprofessional in those settings and it is ugly. In fact, I have to laugh for as big of a “blue” guy he is, his best comp in terms of communication in the local media is Donald Trump. Crazy statements, no polish, bullying, unprofessional, all of it. Their personalities appear to have some similar elements like insecurity, defensiveness, desire for credit, etc.

Sure doesn't feel like he's setting up the team for future success after he leaves. However that may happen.

I'm starting to think that the game has changed and this is what we have: A middling team that can make a run to the Sweet 16/Elite 8 if we can get into the tournament, but probably not beyond that. Players can pretty much come and go as they please so even if you recruit well you're likely not going to hang on to the one's who perceive they are not being treated well or want to wait their turn. And make no mistake about it, we are pretty much relegated to recruiting "projects" at this point. The top players are going to a select number of schools or are forgoing college all together. And when you start adding in NLI deals that seems to put us at another disadvantage. Everyone who lived it, pines for the good old days. They aren't happening again. Maybe it will all even out eventually and teams will be on a more even footing but I don't see it happening soon.

JB has always been disgusting in post game press conferences. This is not new. He loathes and bullies the local press. He has done this for at least 20 years. Nobody is going to fire him or discipline him about it, or they would have done so already. I feel that he is preposterously unprofessional in those settings and it is ugly. In fact, I have to laugh for as big of a “blue” guy he is, his best comp in terms of communication in the local media is Donald Trump. Crazy statements, no polish, bullying, unprofessional, all of it. Their personalities appear to have some similar elements like insecurity, defensiveness, desire for credit, etc.
It’s almost like… they’re both old! And that’s what old people do.

He never claimed to be a friend of JB.

Out golfing with him on a regular basis? Maybe I’m reading too much into that. I don’t like the idea that somebody is going golfing regularly with me and they are just using it to evaluate my flaws to report back out to others. That’s not the kind of person I’d want to spend my free time with.

It’s almost like… they’re both old! And that’s what old people do.
Old. s. Use them interchangeably as you see fit.

edit: didn't realize p r ick was on the naughty list.

1642605206067.png

Out golfing with him on a regular basis? Maybe I’m reading too much into that. I don’t like the idea that somebody is going golfing regularly with me and they are just using it to evaluate my flaws to report back out to others. That’s not the kind of person I’d want to spend my free time with.
You are. He's a friend of someone else who may or may not be an assistant coach. At least that's what I've been able to pick up. And when you're on the road and the group is golfing, you golf with the group.

And he's been very transparent that he's holding back FAR more than he's sharing.

Also funny that you are judging BullDog for what he reports, but not the coach for his reported behavior. Almost like you want to not believe what he told us.

I'm starting to think that the game has changed and this is what we have: A middling team that can make a run to the Sweet 16/Elite 8 if we can get into the tournament, but probably not beyond that. Players can pretty much come and go as they please so even if you recruit well you're likely not going to hang on to the one's who perceive they are not being treated well or want to wait their turn. And make no mistake about it, we are pretty much relegated to recruiting "projects" at this point. The top players are going to a select number of schools or are forgoing college all together. And when you start adding in NLI deals that seems to put us at another disadvantage. Everyone who lived it, pines for the good old days. They aren't happening again. Maybe it will all even out eventually and teams will be on a more even footing but I don't see it happening soon.

Too dramatic. Yeah there are a couple schools the top top recruits covet but there is nothing new about that. Syracuse still maintains a place amongst the very top tier of places you could play D1 basketball. Sure the game has changed with player freedom to move wherever, but just like any new set of rules, there are people who will be able to use it for positive gain for their program at various levels. We are still much more in the “have” category than most schools out there. The next coach will have to be savvy in a lot more than X and Os and basic recruiting in order to really excel though.

Also funny that you are judging BullDog for what he reports, but not the coach for his reported behavior. Almost like you want to not believe what he told us.

I didn’t say anything about his report other than it’s a little slimy. I can only judge what I see with JBs behavior and he gives plenty for all of to see that he has his flaws.

I didn’t say anything about his report other than it’s a little slimy. I can only judge what I see with JBs behavior and he gives plenty for all of to see that he has his flaws.
Fair enough. I'm getting myself all riled up for no reason.

The remainder of JB's career will play out as it will. Were I donor, I'd have the ability to let the Uni know my feelings by not contributing any more. But I don't, so I just rant on a silly internet forum. I have better things to do with my time.

You are. He's a friend of someone else who may or may not be an assistant coach. At least that's what I've been able to pick up. And when you're on the road and the group is golfing, you golf with the group.

And he's been very transparent that he's holding back FAR more than he's sharing.
If I felt like that about someone, I wouldn't want to spend time with them, especially playing the grande game.

Too dramatic. Yeah there are a couple schools the top top recruits covet but there is nothing new about that. Syracuse still maintains a place amongst the very top tier of places you could play D1 basketball. Sure the game has changed with player freedom to move wherever, but just like any new set of rules, there are people who will be able to use it for positive gain for their program at various levels. We are still much more in the “have” category than most schools out there. The next coach will have to be savvy in a lot more than X and Os and basic recruiting in order to really excel though.
Maybe. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't expect a dramatic change once JB decides to retire. Things are in motion that are beyond our control and like you say the next coach (or the one after that) will need to be savvy in a lot more than x's and o's and basic recruiting to excel. At some point, perception is everything. High Schooler's today weren't alive 19 years ago when SU won the National Championship. Hate to say it but it's sort of like the football program. Two "glory year" periods (55-69 and 87-2001) followed by 20 years of rebuilds and trying to find the right combination of pieces to the puzzle to make us relevant again. Maybe the last couple of years are just a blip and we are closer to being relevant than we think. Just a few breaks here and there and we are right back where we are accustomed to being.

Nothing is slimy especially when we all talk “shyttt” to each other and make fun of each other. Nothing I haven’t already said to Griff or JB or anything like that. I’ve told a few of them “golf is not for you”. Does that make you feel better about my relationship ? I invited JB to Augusta last fall to play during Peach Jam and he declined because “he’s played it” in which I said “jeez I’ll work on getting a better place for us”... hopefully this gives you some insight instead of judging

Fair enough. I'm getting myself all riled up for no reason.

The remainder of JB's career will play out as it will. Were I donor, I'd have the ability to let the Uni know my feelings by not contributing any more. But I don't, so I just rant on a silly internet forum. I have better things to do with my time.

And yet - here you are. ;)

Nothing is slimy especially when we all talk “shyttt” to each other and make fun of each other. Nothing I haven’t already said to Griff or JB or anything like that. I’ve told a few of them “golf is not for you”. Does that make you feel better about my relationship ? I invited JB to Augusta last fall to play during Peach Jam and he declined because “he’s played it” in which I said “jeez I’ll work on getting a better place for us”... hopefully this gives you some insight instead of judging

But you aren’t here telling zingers about his golf game or talking about razzing. You’re implying his flaws have made him inept and using things you’ve observed while privately hanging out with him to tell us he’s not good at his job and hinting there is much more we wouldn’t like if you just told it to us. Fine, I guess. Just remind me never to hang out with you or let my guard down around you.

I don’t think JB is a saint, I don’t think he is perfect. I think his public persona is a poor reflection of the program. But I feel like he deserves a little more courtesy and respect from his pals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom