SU's 2018 FCS opponent appears to be Wagner | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU's 2018 FCS opponent appears to be Wagner

were probably trying like heck to make sure the last non conference game in '18 is home since we want 7 home games a season and were already playing at notre dame

Would they be a bowl qualifier?

Ualbany would beat wagner by 40. Albany is in the best fcs conference . i live in albany. been scratching my head for 10 years about cuse ignorimg them as an fcs option. 2 hrs away and he NEED desperately to engage the albany market. just dont get it.

Ualbany would beat wagner by 40. Albany is in the best fcs conference . i live in albany. been scratching my head for 10 years about cuse ignorimg them as an fcs option. 2 hrs away and he NEED desperately to engage the albany market. just dont get it.

I still think of Albany as a D3 school.

So, with a team that averages just under 6,000 a game, why do you think SU 'desperately' needs to engage the Albany market? Do you think every one of those 6K are going to abandon the Danes and head to Syracuse to see them play Colgate, et al?

I get that we need every additional fanny in the seats, but I'm not sure Albany is the answer. I think winning is.

Buy a combo ticket for the NYS State Fair and the SU/UA game for $5-10 dollars .

So, with a team that averages just under 6,000 a game, why do you think SU 'desperately' needs to engage the Albany market? Do you think every one of those 6K are going to abandon the Danes and head to Syracuse to see them play Colgate, et al?

I get that we need every additional fanny in the seats, but I'm not sure Albany is the answer. I think winning is.

So engaging the state capital 2 hrs away doesn't make sense? Albany would bring 1-2k fans, and if we got 200-400 new fans interested in cuse fb after their experience in the dome, its worth it. Albany is only part of the answer.

Don't we still have an open spot on our 2017 schedule??

So engaging the state capital 2 hrs away doesn't make sense? Albany would bring 1-2k fans, and if we got 200-400 new fans interested in cuse fb after their experience in the dome, its worth it. Albany is only part of the answer.
ACC teams don't bring 1-2k fans. For a team that draws less than 6k per game, Albany isn't going to bring 33% of their average home attendance to the Dome. And your estimate of a retention rate of 20% seems insanely high, especially because why? They watch a different football team that happens to play 2 hours away on a bigger stage? I've been to games at Central Michigan, Maryland, and UCONN as a road fan. That doesn't make me a fan of any of those programs.

Like Orange79 said, winning will get people in the seats, not field trips down the Thruway.

ACC teams don't bring 1-2k fans. For a team that draws less than 6k per game, Albany isn't going to bring 33% of their average home attendance to the Dome. And your estimate of a retention rate of 20% seems insanely high, especially because why? They watch a different football team that happens to play 2 hours away on a bigger stage? I've been to games at Central Michigan, Maryland, and UCONN as a road fan. That doesn't make me a fan of any of those programs.

Like Orange79 said, winning will get people in the seats, not field trips down the Thruway.

So keep ignoring the capital of the state. thats brilliant marketing . all i am saying is wagner , Colgate , and stonybrook are getting old and why not try the albany market? not out of the realm to possibly get 200 new fans coming to cuse . you would be surprised how many people from albany never been to the dome. and when you are an fcs or d3 fan, no reason you couldn't fit in 2-3 cuse games too. you arent asking them to pick between schools.

And acc teams might not bring 1-2k fans bc they are over 500 miles away . Albany is 2 hrs and this game would be a fun away game for the fanbase.

And acc teams might not bring 1-2k fans bc they are over 500 miles away . Albany is 2 hrs and this game would be a fun away game for the fanbase.

How many people does Colgate bring?

How many would Buffalo even bring (TruBlue is not allowed to answer because he'll say eleventy thousand).

I think you're overstating things. The FCS game is supposed to be a layup scrimmage. And that's about how much buzz it generates.

SU could do itself some favors reaching out to fans in a 1 to 2 hour radius around Syracuse. But I don't think a game against Albany is what does it. Maybe a spring scrimmage or fall scrimmage out that way and access to meet the players and coaches after. Ticket giveaways. Effort is better spent on that stuff.

Last edited:
So keep ignoring the capital of the state. thats brilliant marketing . all i am saying is wagner , Colgate , and stonybrook are getting old and why not try the albany market? not out of the realm to possibly get 200 new fans coming to cuse . you would be surprised how many people from albany never been to the dome. and when you are an fcs or d3 fan, no reason you couldn't fit in 2-3 cuse games too. you arent asking them to pick between schools.
It's very out of the realm of possibility to get 200 new fans by virtue of them following a team they already like to a guarantee game where the point is for the team they like to lose.

Has UAlbany ever played against an FBS team? I don't remember ever seeing one.

I do agree with Ish that the Albany market could/should be targeted more by SU and has a lot of potential.

There are 2 FCS teams in upstate NY , Colgate and Albany . If you are going to play an FCS team , why not one of them .
If the state helps out in paying for the Carrier Dome renovation, I would expect to see more of SUNY Albany, SUNY Buffalo and SUNY Stony Brook in the Dome.

My guess is that they would all like a chance to play in the premiere football stadium in the Northeast, make some money, provide an easy road trip for their fan(s), and see how they match up against their daddy.

If the state helps out in paying for the Carrier Dome renovation, I would expect to see more of SUNY Albany, SUNY Buffalo and SUNY Stony Brook in the Dome.

My guess is that they would all like a chance to play in the premiere football stadium in the Northeast, make some money, provide an easy road trip for their fan(s), and see how they match up against their daddy.
Now your getting it.

If we're talking about it leading to more state money, then yes.

If we're talking about it leading to more fans from Albany, then no. Or at least not necessarily.