SU's 2018 FCS opponent appears to be Wagner | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

SU's 2018 FCS opponent appears to be Wagner

If we're talking about it leading to more state money, then yes.

If we're talking about it leading to more fans from Albany, then no. Or at least not necessarily.
Yes. For $100 million, I would sign up to play SUNY Albany in football and basketball every year until 2100.

If the state wants a guarantee that the state HS finals in football, basketball and marching band will be in the Dome every year as well, let's do that too.

Yes. For $100 million, I would sign up to play SUNY Albany in football and basketball every year until 2100.

If the state wants a guarantee that the state HS finals in football, basketball and marching band will be in the Dome every year as well, let's do that too.
UALBANY is like a little pet project for Albany bureaucrats . Don't the FBS schools pay the FCS schools for those games ? Politicians love "free" money .

I could see playing Stony Brook and Albany in the Dome once or twice per decade. Buffalo might go for a 2-for-1, but maybe not. I doubt Albany would want to play at the Dome every year... it would get boring for all involved... including you. ;)

I could see playing Stony Brook and Albany in the Dome once or twice per decade. Buffalo might go for a 2-for-1, but maybe not. I doubt Albany would want to play at the Dome every year... it would get boring for all involved... including you. ;)
True.

Better yet, let SUNY Buffalo and SUNY Albany play for the I-90 SUNY Cup every year in the Carrier Dome. We could call it unofficially "The World's Smallest Cocktail Party". Those Great Danes know how to party!

2 Games in the Dome on opening weekend of college football . 3 year round robin of SU and the 3 SUNY schools .

2 Games in the Dome on opening weekend of college football . 3 year round robin of SU and the 3 SUNY schools .

You think people from Stony Brook are going to give up their Labor Day Weekend plans to come up to Syracuse to watch a game against either Buffalo or Albany?

How many people does Colgate bring?

How many would Buffalo even bring (TruBlue is not allowed to answer because he'll say eleventy thousand).

I think you're overstating things. The FCS game is supposed to be a layup scrimmage. And that's about how much buzz it generates.

SU could do itself some favors reaching out to fans in a 1 to 2 hour radius around Syracuse. But I don't think a game against Albany is what does it. Maybe a spring scrimmage or fall scrimmage out that way and access to meet the players and coaches after. Ticket giveaways. Effort is better spent on that stuff.

Albany would be a layup for us. also, we have played colgate numerous times over the years. its old news and not a big deal to colgate fans anymore. albanys first time in the dome might generate some excitement from their perspective .

Exactly, and i am not suggesting every year , just every 5 or so.

You think people from Stony Brook are going to give up their Labor Day Weekend plans to come up to Syracuse to watch a game against either Buffalo or Albany?
Of course . A holiday weekend in the Hamptons is so over with .

So engaging the state capital 2 hrs away doesn't make sense? Albany would bring 1-2k fans, and if we got 200-400 new fans interested in cuse fb after their experience in the dome, its worth it. Albany is only part of the answer.

I agree with this. The New York's College Team thing was aimed at the Tri-State but could be repurposed as a way to generate fans from all of the state. Get a few hundred ticketholders from all the Upstate cities and maybe build on that, it'd be a great thing for the school.

Albany would be a layup for us. also, we have played colgate numerous times over the years. its old news and not a big deal to colgate fans anymore. albanys first time in the dome might generate some excitement from their perspective .

Still a big deal to Colgate fans (and we've only played twice since the series ended). The Friday night thing puts a lid on that attendance, but Colgate still brings more than many opponents. I have every reason to think Upstate SUNYs would be similar: a lot of local alumni, an easy road trip for their fans to a kind of "big time" venue.

If we couple that with winning and exciting football, that could lure in ticketholders from those cities. They've already got many SU hoops fans in those regions. Seems the only difference between that and football is that one is a winning program with national relevance and the other is not.

colgate has about 3k students.

suny A about 20k.

they are also of the less serious variety.

IMO they could likely fill 50 drunk busloads...and a whole shitload more would drive themselves, to see their school play in the Dome.

it could help solve some of the labor day attendance issues.

and if there is state $$ involved...Home Run.

There are also many more SUNYA alumni throughout upstate that might come to see a game at the dome just for a fun outing with some old college pals .

I'm looking forward to Cage in 2020. They show up but don't move when the ball is snapped.

Always thought the Seahawks showed no imagination. Now the Wagner Valkyries has a much more distinctive Ring.

Cuse needs to get teams like Rutgers and Temple on their future schedules vs. the Wagner's, Stony Brook's and Rhode Island's of the world. Look at the improvement at TU for they have a great chance to win 11 games this season. Unreal!

Cuse needs to get teams like Rutgers and Temple on their future schedules vs. the Wagner's, Stony Brook's and Rhode Island's of the world. Look at the improvement at TU for they have a great chance to win 11 games this season. Unreal!

I am in favor of adding RU and Temple but we also have to keep an FCS team on the schedule.

I looked thru the MAC, and it appears everyone has 2018 all booked up except:

Akron - But has road games @ Iowa State and Nebraska. Do they want a 3rd roadie? They'd probably do a 3 for 1 if we'd go there in 2018.

Western Michigan - Only 1 game lined up. @ Georgia State. Everyone waiting to see when PJ leaves?

Also looks like, according our site, UConn is scheduled for Sep 29, i.e. week 5. With ND on week 4. Which means either an early ACC game, or an early bye.

FIU...that would be my choice.

We got one, at their place, to start the 2010 season. Looked more like what an SU-Akron game should look like, 29-3 (31-3 if we just kicked XPs.).
That was our first ever Syracusefan.com ticket buy road show...I think we had about 60 tickets on the 40 yard line for like $12 each.

I am in favor of adding RU and Temple but we also have to keep an FCS team on the schedule.

MTSU is our "Temple " next year. very good G5 team. not sure where all the complaints are coming from about our schedule. we have a good template going on: fcs, 2 G5 teams, and a P5 team. that's the way to do it. its a respectable OOC approach .

Has UAlbany ever played against an FBS team? I don't remember ever seeing one.

I do agree with Ish that the Albany market could/should be targeted more by SU and has a lot of potential.
SU is more interested in marketing to Utica/Mohawk Valley, Bingo and Rahchester at this time...they are going for folks within 90 miles.

That was our first ever Syracusefan.com ticket buy road show...I think we had about 60 tickets on the 40 yard line for like $12 each.

So you had 60% of the crowd? Not bad.

So you had 60% of the crowd? Not bad.
We definitely had a significant tailgate presence. I'd love a 2 for 1 or 3 for 2 with Akron...about a 5- 5.5 hour trip. I think a series with FIU/FAU would be good though for our FL recruits.

Wagner had led the NEC effort against FBS programs, traveling as far as BYU last season. This year, the Seahawks will play two FBS opponents for the second consecutive season, Boston College and Massachusetts. They also have future games scheduled against Western Michigan (2017), Syracuse (2018) and Connecticut (2019).

Football Championship Subdivision News Story - Duquesne-Hawaii matchup adds to NEC visibility | STATS | FCS Football

Is Herm sure this one counts for bowl eligibility this time?