Symir Injury Updates... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Symir Injury Updates...

Have you guys seen Cole's handle? We are fine...on a more serious note wouldn't it make more sense for Benny to play up top on D? He is longer and covers a ton more ground and (can't believe I'm typing this but this is where we are as a program) we need Cole close to the rim to rebound.
Williams is going to get more minutes now, that’s for sure. Maybe playing up top will suit him like it did for Paul Harris. Worth a shot.

I think Chaz was the defacto 4th guard last year. When he got in during garbage time, it was always at the top of the zone.

But I’m pretty sure Paddy is ahead of Chaz in the rotation.

Everytime Chaz has come in this season, it's been as a forward. Maybe that's because he's the tallest guy left on the court?

Gonna be like Aaron Boone describing a Yankee injury. " We think he'll be fine. We"ll look at it in the morning. He's day to day, we don't think he needs to go on the IL." The next thing you know the player is out 3 months.

I remember we had a problem like this once before and we were clamoring for Dungey to join the basketball team.Shows you how much we loved Eric. Can Tucker play the point? Tucker can be a 3-sport guy in college. What a story!

Boeheim just said, it's not good to have more than 11 guys because too many want minutes ... but shouldn't a head coach control the minutes distribution? It shouldn't be that much of an impossibility to manage the roster past this season. SU used to have quite a few players get minutes their freshman season with a chance to step into a starting role the next.

JB says things.

Boeheim just said, it's not good to have more than 11 guys because too many want minutes ... but shouldn't a head coach control the minutes distribution? It shouldn't be that much of an impossibility to manage the roster past this season. SU used to have quite a few players get minutes their freshman season with a chance to step into a starting role the next.
He said that currently you can’t get kids to commit to be your 4th guard. Players, especially in the portal, won’t go to a college to be an insurance policy and sit on the bench. Kids don’t want to wait to adjust or develop in practices before getting major minutes. We’re seeing freshman leave who are averaging more than 20 minutes a game. UNC who we all used to wonder how they could stockpile even multiple McDonald’s Americans to sit for years before getting any real playing time, lost Roy Williams because of the drastic changes to the college basketball landscape. He’s not alone.

Coaches who have to wait till late spring not far from the early summer college session, to hear if their current experienced players are positively returning leaves little time to vet and admit portal replacements for the summer. They may hear rumors but if players don’t confirm their return or transfer, even the ‘above board‘ coaches will be forced to join those who are ‘breaking’ those portal rules mining for transfers early causing even more turmoil and bad faith within their program and the entire system. It will be very interesting and probably sad to see how long and how this will all shake out in the end.

Sign me up for Josh Black and Mikel Jones at the top of the zone freight training their way to the rack for the first 5 min before fouling out. Monstars style.
monstars GIF by jumpman23

He said that currently you can’t get kids to commit to be your 4th guard. Players, especially in the portal, won’t go to a college to be an insurance policy and sit on the bench. Kids don’t want to wait to adjust or develop in practices before getting major minutes. We’re seeing freshman leave who are averaging more than 20 minutes a game. UNC who we all used to wonder how they could stockpile even multiple McDonald’s Americans to sit for years before getting any real playing time, lost Roy Williams because of the drastic changes to the college basketball landscape. He’s not alone.

Coaches who have to wait till late spring not far from the early summer college session, to hear if their current experienced players are positively returning leaves little time to vet and admit portal replacements for the summer. They may hear rumors but if players don’t confirm their return or transfer, even the ‘above board‘ coaches will be forced to join those who are ‘breaking’ those portal rules mining for transfers early causing even more turmoil and bad faith within their program and the entire system. It will be very interesting and probably sad to see how long and how this will all shake out in the end.
I don’t mean to be obnoxious with the #JBsaysthings schtick, but sometimes it’s really true. I just looked at the stats for Auburn — the #1 team in the country — and as best I can tell, they have four guards getting meaningful minutes every game.

Maybe I’m missing something, and that’s the only team I looked into on a whim, but I just don’t buy that a hoops team can’t even *land* a 4th guard, let alone find some minutes for that kid.

If Pitt doesn’t press us for 40 minutes straight they are idiots.
Now they are idiots so we may get away with it.
Pitt isn’t capable of pressing for 40 minutes

Yeah but we got great walk-ons who are more like glorified walk-ons on scholarship, right?

When have our walkons let us down we needed Bayer to beat Michigan St. JB loathes playing them though for whatever reason and despite formerly being one. I feel like hes afraid a walkon might make Girard look bad so would rather use Swider instead.

I don’t mean to be obnoxious with the #JBsaysthings schtick, but sometimes it’s really true. I just looked at the stats for Auburn — the #1 team in the country — and as best I can tell, they have four guards getting meaningful minutes every game.

Maybe I’m missing something, and that’s the only team I looked into on a whim, but I just don’t buy that a hoops team can’t even *land* a 4th guard, let alone find some minutes for that kid.

If course it can be done.

But not if you have a rotation where you only play two of them, with a third only getting some filler stop gap minutes. Auburn, just borrowing from your example, please a relentless full court pressure defense that makes use of depth. We don't make use of depth, and haven't for decades.

Therein lies the difference.

Last edited:

Of course.

Because you don't recruit someone by saying "Hey, you want to come to be the 4th guard". You recruit someone and say they have the opportunity to earn minutes or even a starting role. We heard, directly from the coaches mouth, that he had the minutes in line for a player that left our team. Not "if he got better, he could have been the starter", the exact minute per game he was thinking for said player.

Not sure where else to go from there.

Lol…JB announcing Swider as our best option for the 2 guard (and more ball handling duties), is like saying bringing in the blind kid to be my closer in baseball is our best option
I mean what kinda ffed up rotation does this guy think we have? Cole Swider as the next best option at the 2? Am I the only one who thinks that's nuts? Sheesh!

I mean what kinda ffed up rotation does this guy think we have? Cole Swider as the next best option at the 2? Am I the only one who thinks that's nuts? Sheesh!

Let’s be real, he’s going to run Joe and Buddy into the ground and only play anyone else if either of those guys get hurt, get into foul trouble or are laboring so hard they are going to collapse.

Maybe Cole or some other band aid fix is at a guard spot for a minute or two at most.

Best case, we roll Pitt early and can get the walk ins in with like four minutes left.

They have 18 players on their team - 11 that are guards. Wow, didn’t know that. I assume they play a 3 guard lineup. They lost 5 players last year - 3 who transferred, 2 to the NBA and now have 4 incoming portal transfers. They have 7 players who average from 20 minutes a game to a little over 27 minutes and 3 other players who average over 10 minutes/game. Ask others how he gets very good players happy to play just half a game, I sure don’t know.

They have 18 players on their team - 11 that are guards. Wow, didn’t know that. I assume they play a 3 guard lineup. They lost 5 players last year - 3 who transferred, 2 to the NBA and now have 4 incoming portal transfers. They have 7 players who average from 20 minutes a game to a little over 27 minutes and 3 other players who average over 10 minutes/game. Ask others how he gets very good players happy to play just half a game, I sure don’t know.
Like RF said, Pearl plays a style that necessitates it. I also suspect he makes sure to get kids minutes to keep them motivated. JB has always had a much different approach than that. And hey, he’s been successful with it. I just bristled at the notion that he *couldn’t* get a 4th guard to come here, or stay here. That’s preposterous, in my opinion.

Let’s be real, he’s going to run Joe and Buddy into the ground and only play anyone else if either of those guys get hurt, get into foul trouble or are laboring so hard they are going to collapse.

Maybe Cole or some other band aid fix is at a guard spot for a minute or two at most.

Best case, we roll Pitt early and can get the walk ins in with like four minutes left.
Bingo. BB and JG will essentially go 40 from here on out.

Like RF said, Pearl plays a style that necessitates it. I also suspect he makes sure to get kids minutes to keep them motivated. JB has always had a much different approach than that. And hey, he’s been successful with it. I just bristled at the notion that he *couldn’t* get a 4th guard to come here, or stay here. That’s preposterous, in my opinion.
Sharing minutes as we’ve seen unmotivates or is it demotivates :)some kids. Last year Auburn had a losing record sharing minutes despite having 2 of their 5 departures drafted. Guess things don’t always work with consistency.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom