Symir Torrence Transferring from Marquette to Syracuse | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Symir Torrence Transferring from Marquette to Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes this a false equivalent is that neither of those guys was brought in to replace a really good player that transferred out due to not being on the same page as the head coach.

my issue is that JB should have moved heaven and earth to keep Kadary here. It wouldn’t have taken much...
Wasn’t trying to equate the situations, just the point that first schools can be a bad fit. Symir was a top 100 kid, clearly there’s some untapped potential.

it’s going to happen regardless, but its unfair to compare the kid to Kadary.

JB’s not off the hook. Just saying Symir may not be the red headed step child our boards making him out to be.

I love this. A kid that wants to be here. Former top 100 recruit. Solid build. Good defender. I look at it this way. In a roster of 13 players, we need 5 guards, 5 forwards and 3 centers. Currently we have 4 guards (Buddy, Joe, Symir and Chaz). So, we can pick up one more guard, and we really need to. Hopefully he is an impact transfer or a freshman becomes available like Kadary did. We have a more glaring need at forward and center. Hopefully we get some good news on those two fronts soon.

He averaged 2 points 1 assist 1 rebound per game. Yeah real game changer.

The SI article said "He shot 37.5% from three point range as a freshman at Marquette, but that dipped to 13.9% as a sophomore. Torrence has good shooting form and showed the ability to make the outside shot as a high schooler." I wonder why the 3-pt shooting percentage dropped so much last year - injury?

I don’t think his Marquette stats reflect his potential. But that’ll be the narrative he’ll face heading into practice.
And that is exactly the line on Richmond too. Sorry to lose one. Glad to have the other. And as someone said, he wants to be here.

I have never seen Symir play at any level, but the descriptions posted here from various recruiting sites - he sounds like a clone of Brandon Triche. Physical combo guard with a PG mentality who is a good but not great shooter. Strength, length and athleticism for the top of the zone. Similar rankings coming out of HS.

Doesn't have the star potential of Kadary to be sure, but sounds like he should be talented enough to push Joe for time. If JB allows it.

that is a very good comparison. May not end up as good as Brandon but from a type of player that’s him.

The kid from Auburn is who we need.

Its not just the board either. 75-80 percent of the fan base is fed up with JB based on facebook/Twitter and my alumni contacts.
In reality, only 20ish% of the people have a clue about anything. Per Fibonacci.

Defensive guard, right? That can work. Still think we need a bigger guard that can be paired with Jackson. (I know Torrence is pretty good sized for a point guard).

Kadary was a #85 recruit. Torrance was #75, per 2-4-7 with this description:

"Good physique for a point guard, and he can also play shooting guard. A physical slasher who passes well off the dribble. Loves to set players up but is a quality scorer as well. Quality rebounder as a guard who can defend at a high level and defend multiple positions. Plays with an edge and competes. Could develop into an NBA player."

At Marquette he was behind a senior and kid in the same class as him who was ranked #34. Sounds like a good pick-up. :)

it was 68 degrees yesterday and I was wearing a tee shirt. We may get 6 inches of snow tomorrow. I'll be in a sweater. The T shirt will be back on in the near future. Things happen. You've got to keep moving forward.

Join the haterz club (tm).

Fan your whole life? Given time, money, emotion, all of it to the program? Doesn't matter.

You are a hater. Learn to love Glens Falls, Dennys, JB's wit, plus/minus... all unconditionally. On an internet fan message board.

/s
I’ve given everything you’ve mentioned at an abundance.

I got season tickets for last year for the first time in 15 years (have pretty much lived out of state since), I got an email to get them this year, I have no problem driving from Buffalo to Syracuse for every game but with what is happening I don’t think I’ll be getting them.

I’ve given up on the emotions the past two years, I’m done with putting any sort of money into it, and all that’s left is time which I’m ok with, but even that has been slipping the past couple of years. Sweet sixteen is fun, fun 2 game run, at the end of the day that’s all it is, 2 games.

I think he'll be better than expected and honestly should be better than Girard though he won't start over him of course. I like bringing in someone local. Played at a high enough level at least not an Ivy league stat stuffer.

Still doesn't make up for running off Kadary.

He averaged 2 points 1 assist 1 rebound per game. Yeah real game changer.
His Freshman year he played behind Markus Howard who averaged 27ppg. Nobody getting minutes over him.
After Howard left the team crumbled because Woj is a crappy coach and completely mismanaged his team.
You can’t really judge Symir based on these numbers they don’t mean anything.

Cmon Hulk you were doing so well.

He isn’t coming here to start. We need depth.

Better players in the portal we could have gotten. More nepotism he is close with Buddy, Joe, Jimmy when he comes here.

The sad part is .. even Symir turns out GREAT - and he really finds himself and develops his game and plays a big part in our success next year ... deep down this was not JBs plan. JB didn’t see Symir in the portal and tell Kadary to leave. It’s still bad roster management no matter what happens; even if Kadary regresses and Symir improves

Here we go.

Elijah Hughes was hurt during the ECU season - his one season. And averaged 7.5 ppg in 20+ mpg. He didn't stink.

Torrence averaged 11.9 mpg over TWO seasons and 52 games at the Big East level, and wasn't good enough three years ago when we passed on him.

What do you think has changed?
And Hughes improved a lot playing for the Orange.

Isn't it possible that Torrance will also?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom