Syracuse basketball big man Dajuan Coleman makes progress. Will he play this season? (PS: Ditota) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse basketball big man Dajuan Coleman makes progress. Will he play this season? (PS: Ditota)

Let's be honest here. Dujuan has a long & tough comeback road. Even before he was hurt he was failing to fulfill expectations.

I am rooting for him, and wishing him the best, but in terms of his ever becoming a significant factor for the Cuse, regretfully, I just do not see it happening.

Between Diagne, maybe Bryant, and Obokoh our big man future is going in a different direction. I think if DC was to be a big factor, this was the season for him to establish himself before the others arrive and/or mature. Now it is sounding less & less likely that he will see much if any of the court this season.

Way to early to write him off, even factoring in the injury. He's in better shape now than he's ever been throughout his career--our big man future isn't "going in a different direction" -- that's short sighted. Kid still has two years of eligibility left to make an impact.

Way to early to write him off, even factoring in the injury. He's in better shape now than he's ever been throughout his career--our big man future isn't "going in a different direction" -- that's short sighted. Kid still has two years of eligibility left to make an impact.

There were moments where he was getting it last year. Assuming he comes back from this injury, I expect him to be a very capable player his last two years. I also expect that Xmas will surprise some people this year as he was also showing some spark last year.

I say this because we have so little depth. I'm reserving judgment on Obokoh. But I hate to count on a redshirt player who hasn't stepped on the court. A healthy, productive Coleman would be a huge asset.
Did what little he played last year make you think he is going to be "productive" this year? He still had not reached the level of production most here were expecting and after a year off that would be a lot to expect. Even if he is healthy, it might not be to far fetched to expect that he would be a backup. Better than Obokoh, probably yes but by how much. It may be better to hope he'll be fully read for 2015-16

I can hope you are right & I am wrong, but I just don't see it that way. At this stage of the game DC no longer has the upside to beat out Diagne or Bryant, maybe not even Obokoh. Hard to see him making much of an impact as the third center, and his being the third center assumes that he will have a strong recovery even if it isn't quite 100%.

I was as high as anybody on DC coming out of HS, but if the thread speculation is correct and it is a micro-fracture, very few overcome that injury. If it isn't a micro-fracture, what then might it be to have given him all of these problems where he isn't even jogging at this point in time after two seasons of on and off injuries ? Don't get me wrong, I am not giving up on his talent, just trying to deal with the reality that he can't showcase his talent at a high level without overcoming his injury 100%.

If I were him, I would red shirt this year and hope for the best my last two years of eligibility. Based on his "jogging" quote from the Syracuse.com article, either the kid is not ready to accept his career is over or he still has a chance to play. The "jogging" comment makes me think JB's comment about another 2015 recruit in the bag makes me think someone is going to be transferring but it hasn't been announced yet. I doubt JB would make that comment unless he was absolutely sure there would be a spot opening up. God, his comment is driving me crazy!

so much overreaction in this thread

We as fans would be remiss in our duties if we did NOT over analyze this 10 different ways. Or do you think I'm just being too sensitive. Maybe I'm not being sensitive enough. Maybe my reaction is just the right amount. How does one ever know???

I can hope you are right & I am wrong, but I just don't see it that way. At this stage of the game DC no longer has the upside to beat out Diagne or Bryant, maybe not even Obokoh. Hard to see him making much of an impact as the third center, and his being the third center assumes that he will have a strong recovery even if it isn't quite 100%.

I was as high as anybody on DC coming out of HS, but if the thread speculation is correct and it is a micro-fracture, very few overcome that injury. If it isn't a micro-fracture, what then might it be to have given him all of these problems where he isn't even jogging at this point in time after two seasons of on and off injuries ? Don't get me wrong, I am not giving up on his talent, just trying to deal with the reality that he can't showcase his talent at a high level without overcoming his injury 100%.

Upside isn't as important as production. Even if Coleman has to redshirt this year to get physically right, my money would be on a former McD's all american fourth year junior in peak shape, with game experience being more ready to contribute than incoming frosh, no matter how highly rated. I love Diagne / Bryant, but let's be realistic.

Upside isn't as important as production. Even if Coleman has to redshirt this year to get physically right, my money would be on a former McD's all american fourth year junior in peak shape, with game experience being more ready to contribute than incoming frosh, no matter how highly rated. I love Diagne / Bryant, but let's be realistic.

I don't think it's an issue for big men to get playing time. Rak accumulated 3 fouls in 3 minutes last year. If Colman returns with Diagne and Bryant it will just mean our bigs can play more aggressively.

If there's any chance of Coleman returning in 2015 I just can't imagine JB making the comment below. I'm beginning to think someone is going to transfer but has not announced it yet. I'm thinking it's going to be Patterson. Patterson is not going to get playing time over Cooney and G just like last year. And in 2015 when Malachi shows it is very unlikely Patterson is going to get PT.

Maybe G is thinking transferring. He's done it once already. The 2015 fifth recruit is driving me insane!

"I will tell you that next year's recruiting class will be the best that we've ever had here at Syracuse University. That's next year's class — 2015. We've got four guys (who've committed) and we're getting another, but I can't talk about that. It's going to be a great recruiting class, and I think you'll be excited about the future."

I don't think it's an issue for big men to get playing time. Rak accumulated 3 fouls in 3 minutes last year. If Colman returns with Diagne and Bryant it will just mean our bigs can play more aggressively.

If there's any chance of Coleman returning in 2015 I just can't imagine JB making the comment below. I'm beginning to think someone is going to transfer but has not announced it yet. I'm thinking it's going to be Patterson. Patterson is not going to get playing time over Cooney and G just like last year. And in 2015 when Malachi shows it is very unlikely Patterson is going to get PT.

Maybe G is thinking transferring. He's done it once already. The 2015 fifth recruit is driving me insane!

"I will tell you that next year's recruiting class will be the best that we've ever had here at Syracuse University. That's next year's class — 2015. We've got four guys (who've committed) and we're getting another, but I can't talk about that. It's going to be a great recruiting class, and I think you'll be excited about the future."

It really isn't that big of a mystery--McCullough is a likely one-and-done.

Highly doubt Coleman will be able to play much this season... Maybe play some games and take some off. Like JB said, swelling may be down, but the second that knee has to go thru day to day grind of lifting and practicing, that baby is gonna swell right back up and cause pain. He will have to ease into it... Maybe getting adjusted in January.. Which I think is fine.. Ease him into the non conference and maybe he can play 10-15 mins a night during conference play.

It really isn't that big of a mystery--McCullough is a likely one-and-done.

I don't see how you come to that conclusion. JB sounded a little more definite than just assuming McCullough is leaving. I don't think coach would make that comment in that way. McCullough leaving is not carved in stone.

It's kind of unbelievable that we have two former McD AA big men, a senior and a junior no less, but the 5 could be one of our big weaknesses this year. And we've had several less highly-touted recruits come in and leave for the NBA in the time they've been here. Just shows what a crapshoot high school rankings can be.

I don't see how you come to that conclusion. JB sounded a little more definite than just assuming McCullough is leaving. I don't think coach would make that comment in that way. McCullough leaving is not carved in stone.
No, make no mistake, he gone.

Let's be honest here. Dujuan has a long & tough comeback road. Even before he was hurt he was failing to fulfill expectations.

I am rooting for him, and wishing him the best, but in terms of his ever becoming a significant factor for the Cuse, regretfully, I just do not see it happening.

Between Diagne, maybe Bryant, and Obokoh our big man future is going in a different direction. I think if DC was to be a big factor, this was the season for him to establish himself before the others arrive and/or mature. Now it is sounding less & less likely that he will see much if any of the court this season.
he doesn't have to be a significant fact, especially not this year, I mean barring foul trouble RaXmas is going to play 30 minutes a game, so we need 10-15 minutes out of Coleman/Obokoh

He was a one and done type recruit to begin with and now with Grant out of the way he has every opportunity to play 30+ minutes and put up big numbers ala Donte Greene even if the team doesn't succeed the way we all hope.

No, it isn't carved in stone--but all signs point to it. And in terms of what JB has said, are you familiar with what he's said about McCullough being a one-and-done with unlimited potential? Sounds pretty definite to me.

As far as McCullough; whether he is ready or not (probably won't be) he is likely gone I think. Boeheim knows by now that you don't have to ready to be drafted. There might be a sort of an unofficial agreement between the two that he'll be a one-year rental based on those comments perhaps.

As far as Coleman goes. The fact that he is a former McD AA goes out the window. He wasn't ready from day 1 for a myriad of reasons. Unfortunately he has a long way to go to determine if he can ever contribute here. If, when he does finally get healthy, still struggles on the defensive end then he'll never see much of the court again.

I think it's obvious McCullough is the most likely departure.

That said, I'm not sure there's much reason to worry or even try to predict this at this point. Syracuse has lost at least one scholarship player for each of the last ten seasons. Syracuse is not alone; I suspect if you did this exercise for any other major program you'd see the same thing. These things work themselves out. I'm not sure there's a benefit in speculating on transfers before the season has even started, which strikes me as somewhat unfair to the kids who are the subject of the speculation.

14: Grant, Ennis
13: MCW
12: Waiters, Melo, Jones
11: Riley
10: Johnson
09: Harris, Devendorf, Flynn, Williams
08: Brennan-McBride
07: J. Wright, Jones
06: McCroskey
05: D. Wright, Edelin

Had Coleman gone to Kentucky, would they have forced him to transfer by now?

I think it's obvious McCullough is the most likely departure.

That said, I'm not sure there's much reason to worry or even try to predict this at this point. Syracuse has lost at least one scholarship player for each of the last ten seasons. Syracuse is not alone; I suspect if you did this exercise for any other major program you'd see the same thing. These things work themselves out. I'm not sure there's a benefit in speculating on transfers before the season has even started, which strikes me as somewhat unfair to the kids who are the subject of the speculation.

14: Grant, Ennis
13: MCW
12: Waiters, Melo, Jones
11: Riley
10: Johnson
09: Harris, Devendorf, Flynn, Williams
08: Brennan-McBride
07: J. Wright, Jones
06: McCroskey
05: D. Wright, Edelin
Crazy when you lay it all out like that. Thanks for compiling that info.