"Syracuse is our rival." SJ BB | Syracusefan.com

"Syracuse is our rival." SJ BB

We have beat them what 14 out of the last 15. I wouldn't call that a rivalry.

The hatred of one team and it's fans doesn't make it a two-way rivalry. That said a lot of hatred boils and stews within one group when they are constantly beat down by one opponent when they feel they always have at least a punchers chance against them.

The real greatness to rivalries comes when both teams truly hate each other with every fiber of their being and it spews over into terrible hatred amongst the fans. Syracuse doesn't really have that in football. In basketball it was Georgetown, but it think it could very quickly start to happen with Duke

not Duke, there will be nothing but compliments between the two coaches. don't forget where Silent G comes from. Maybe NC now that the NC way has been outed.

Our fb program claimed penn st as it's rival too. It's all in the eyes of the beholder...
I was gonna say.

I think it could easily be NC State. Especially if we give them a beat down again in PNC arena this year. Oh, buy your tickets in their student area. That really ticks them off.

The hatred of one team and it's fans doesn't make it a two-way rivalry. That said a lot of hatred boils and stews within one group when they are constantly beat down by one opponent when they feel they always have at least a punchers chance against them.

The real greatness to rivalries comes when both teams truly hate each other with every fiber of their being and it spews over into terrible hatred amongst the fans. Syracuse doesn't really have that in football. In basketball it was Georgetown, but it think it could very quickly start to happen with Duke
Duke is the rival of EVERY ACC team.
But Duke's arch-rival is Carolina.
History, culture, geography and basketball mean that won't change.
Nor should it.

We had two great unforgettable games with Duke this past season.
But the games that count for them are the Duke-UNC games.

Thank heaven we're getting G-town back on the schedule so we can resume pounding on those miserable despicable scoundrels.
That's our arch-rival.
We're linked.
Like an evil conjoined twin whom you hate with every fiber of your being.*
That we're in different conferences now means nothing.

*In case anyone is wondering where we are attached to G-town...our collective foot is permanently attached to their collective rear end.

Agree with this emphatically. Experience this a lot with UNC/NC State in basketball. NC State hates UNC more than anything, and that game is always the biggest game on their schedule, but it is always a "meh" for UNC fans, as State has been down at basketball for so long, and a once competitive rivalry has gone to the wayside (State is something like 2-24 against UNC in the past 26 games).

For a rivalry to be a "true" rivalry, the hate has to be mutual. UNC/Duke. Kentucky/Louisville. SU/Georgetown or UConn. If one team hates the other, but that feeling isn't reciprocated, it isn't a rivalry as much as it is simply a grudge match for one side.

not Duke, there will be nothing but compliments between the two coaches. don't forget where Silent G comes from. Maybe NC now that the NC way has been outed.

Duke is a strong academic school that’s perennially celebrated for graduating its players, even when it doesn’t. But OTL shows Duke players, many of whom enter academically deficient, being steered toward cake and/or no-show courses of dubious value.

OTL reports that since 1995, 40 percent of Duke’s basketball players have majored in sociology – “the basketball major” – compared to two percent among other Duke students.

http://nypost.com/2002/03/01/whistle-toots-on-academic-fraud-div-1-hoop-grad-rates-a-scam/

Duke is the rival of EVERY ACC team.
But Duke's arch-rival is Carolina.
History, culture, geography and basketball mean that won't change.
Nor should it.

We had two great unforgettable games with Duke this past season.
But the games that count for them are the Duke-UNC games.

Thank heaven we're getting G-town back on the schedule so we can resume pounding on those miserable despicable scoundrels.
That's our arch-rival.
We're linked.
Like an evil conjoined twin whom you hate with every fiber of your being.*
That we're in different conferences now means nothing.

*In case anyone is wondering where we are attached to G-town...our collective foot is permanently attached to their collective rear end.
Oh i completely agree. We will never be. Dukes primary rival unless UNC becomes Rutgers starting tomorrow and remains that way for eternity.

I think our future rival that we will learn to hate with every fiber of our being is Louisville. We had some strong back and forths in both football and basketball at the end of the Big East run, and are going to get right to it in the ACC. A Cuse victory in football will only serve to kick start what I expect to be our biggest rivalry of the next decade in Cuse athletics.

Oh i completely agree.

I think our future rival that we will learn to hate with every fiber of our being is Louisville. We had some strong back and forths in both football and basketball at the end of the Big East run, and are going to get right to it in the ACC. A Cuse victory in football will only serve to kick start what I expect to be our biggest rivalry of the next decade in Cuse athletics.

That's an interesting thought.

Oh i completely agree. We will never be. Dukes primary rival unless UNC becomes Rutgers starting tomorrow and remains that way for eternity.

I think our future rival that we will learn to hate with every fiber of our
Maybe as a conference rival, but Louisville's arch rival will always be the Kentucky Wildcats.

Maybe as a conference rival, but Louisville's arch rival will always be the Kentucky Wildcats.

That may be, but they will play very rarely in both sports. Our programs are on similar footing in both FB and BB and are very familiar and there is some animosity amongst the two programs as is. I think we will see it become something over the next few years as we have competitive games in both sports

Yes, but a rivalry has to be mutual and the Ville's Rival for now and ever more is Kentucky. It would be disrespectful to us if our biggest rival was not theirs. As to football; our games have no National significance, ditto for the Ville and Kentucky. Our Lacrosse rivalry with Duke has more National significance. For sure, the Ville is a major rival, but not all the ingredients are there for a great all-time rivalry that is recognized Nationwide like the all-time great basketball rivalries: Cuse/GTown, Cuse/UCon, Duke/NC, Ville/Kentucky. Even with the new schedule, the Gtown rivalry will lose steam as it has been since the retirement of Thompson. Our best hope for a humongous rivalry is if UCon joins the ACC. However, this is a long shot. Their football team is entering a death spiral and that will probably seal their ACC fate, unless the football teams would be sufficiently satisfied with Notre Dame such that they would accept a football bottom feeder.

We're in a tough situation now because most rivalries are based to a large extent on geography - our one with Georgetown is a notable exception. As much as I hate to admit it, since leaving the Big East, I just can't get as excited as I used to about the Georgetown game. I hope this changes when we start playing them again. Outside of the Hoyas, I have a hard time coming up with another team where excitement would be generated on both sides.

We're in a tough situation now because most rivalries are based to a large extent on geography - our one with Georgetown is a notable exception. As much as I hate to admit it, since leaving the Big East, I just can't get as excited as I used to about the Georgetown game. I hope this changes when we start playing them again. Outside of the Hoyas, I have a hard time coming up with another team where excitement would be generated on both sides.

It's got to be UConn, right? Geographically, they're the closest program to us...we're both northeast programs...whenever there's a top recruit out of NYC, I expect SU and UConn to be chasing him.

We've had comparable amounts of success...SU with more consistency, but UConn has more than made up for it with championships. Each game between the two is an equal fight (unlike St. Johns). The fan bases seem to genuinely hate each other...none of that one-sided stuff. I know that I personally get up more for those games.

I get why some people don't want UConn in the ACC. Their football sucks and all of that. But it's kind of a shame, because if they were in the ACC, they'd be our natural rival. It would be our version of Duke-UNC.

It's got to be UConn, right? Geographically, they're the closest program to us...we're both northeast programs...whenever there's a top recruit out of NYC, I expect SU and UConn to be chasing him.

We've had comparable amounts of success...SU with more consistency, but UConn has more than made up for it with championships. Each game between the two is an equal fight (unlike St. Johns). The fan bases seem to genuinely hate each other...none of that one-sided stuff. I know that I personally get up more for those games.

I get why some people don't want UConn in the ACC. Their football sucks and all of that. But it's kind of a shame, because if they were in the ACC, they'd be our natural rival. It would be our version of Duke-UNC.
I agree they would make a great rival - It would be good for us. I'm not so sure it would be good for the ACC to add them.

In basketball, they would be a benefit. The ACC top 6 would be like the old Big E. Throw in Notre Dame, Pitt and Virginia and that is a base of 8 tourny teams each year. No other conf would come close, but football drives the bus. What would be their potential if they were in the ACC? Facilities? Budget? It would be a gamble but its just idle speculation unless Notre Dame makes an unexpected move.

Last edited:
I agree that going forward our rival is Louisville. It has to be. I know they have their thing with UK but that is no different than our thing with GTown. It being a non-conference rivalry makes it a different animal. We started a rather nice rivalry with UL in the latter years of the Big East. We played in a couple conference championship games, we both made Final Fours, we both beat each other when the other team was ranked #1, etc. There is even some back and forth on the football side. Additionally, we are both orphans in terms of natural rivals in the ACC. Ours is sure as poop not BC or Pitt and theirs isn't ND or Clemson or whoever the heck.

I get the idea that Duke will never be our arch rival (or at least it would take decades), but that is because UNC is in the ACC. We were able to add UConn to our rival roles even though GTown was sitting right there, so things can morph, but UL fits perfectly into the rivalry mode going forward for the next 10 years or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom