Syracuse MBB finally releases a statement | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse MBB finally releases a statement

In 1981 the Orange lost in the NIT Final. I was crushed.

In 1979, when my alma mater, Indiana University won the NIT, my friends and I celebrated.

The NIT is a national tournament.

If my team has a chance to play in a national event I want my team to play.

And if my team wins I am all in.

That's just how I feel.
Look like you said it’s your opinion. But over the last 44 plus years since you celebrated Indianas win the tourney has become irrelevant. We can choose to adapt or die as a program. What we can’t do is go back in time

Look like you said it’s your opinion. But over the last 44 plus years since you celebrated Indianas win the tourney has become irrelevant. We can choose to adapt or die as a program. What we can’t do is go back in time
There were many in 1979 who discounted the NIT.

Bob Knight was one who rejected that point of view.

He talked about the great tradition of the tournament and explained that it was a national tournament even if it was no longer college basketball's national championship tournament.

He thought it was a big deal that IU won that year even if some might have seen the NIT as "irrelevant."

I have been around long enough to know how it feels rooting for a really lousy college BB program - something we had for much of the 1960s.

And I have seen a lot of really bad college football on the Hill.

So, I don't think I'll ever be so presumptuous as to dismiss the NIT or my team's play in the event.

I really enjoy rooting for the Orange even if it's not for the national championship and if the team had played in the NIT and if it had won, I would have seen that as an accomplishment and something to be celebrated.

How would we field a team in the tourney ? Whats the advantage of portaling immediately?

The whole thing is nonsense. How do these kids transfer if they are done effectively. My son tried to transfer btw two good universities and they wanted a pound of blood in terms of grades and good standing.
What sport did he play?

He talked about the great tradition of the tournament and explained that it was a national tournament even if it was no longer college basketball's national championship tournament.

He thought it was a big deal that IU won that year even if some might have seen the NIT as "irrelevant."

I have been around long enough to know how it feels rooting for a really lousy college BB program - something we had for much of the 1960s.

So, I don't think I'll ever be so presumptuous as to dismiss the NIT or my team's play in the event.

I really enjoy rooting for the Orange even if it's not for the national championship and if the team had played in the NIT and if it had won, I would have seen that as an accomplishment and something to be celebrated.
I appreciate the response. I just fundamentally disagree with the value of the NIT and I don’t know how you play without players

Yes for those who weren't around for the 60's losing streak of 27 games in a row.
They just remember JB, and success, that was a disaster.
Had to bring in football players just to field a team, and still lost to everyone.

My guess is they didnt think they could field a competent team with the portal opening.
If this is the case NIL payment should be based on players playing in all games they are available. Sit out ANY game because u fell like it should cost u a percentage of your NIL mpney.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom