Syracuse MBB finally releases a statement | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse MBB finally releases a statement

The portal is "first come first served".

Suppose we play in the NIT. Suppose we win a few games.

It only delays the rebuild by 3 weeks.

3 weeks from now the kids we want from the portal may be gone.

If the portal didn't open until April 9, we're not having this conversation. It is what it is.
You don’t have to have an open roster spot this semester to get kids for next semester. Not how that works.

If there's one thing this thread epitomizes more than anything else, is that the entire system is broken.
Declining the NIT is a non-issue, IMO. Could it have been handled better, sure. But overall the NIT has been devalued to the point where it's no better than the CBI tournament. And that's before you take in consideration that we likely wouldn't have enough players to field a team.
What's troubling is that we're at a point where opting out of a postseason bball tournament, much like a minor bowl in football, is now commonplace. Why risk injury if I'm shopping for a portal destination...it's just not worth it.
We need to establish a culture where our best players stay, develop, and provide some continuity. We can't turn into a revolving door program where every season you're scrapping the roster and starting over.
If Red is incapable of establishing some sense of the "L word"...loyalty, then we become another way station type program that treads water and HOPES to make a run every few years.
Lets be clear the class was put together by JB as head coach he has the final say. Red could have went the Coach Prime route but didn’t

Last edited:
Sadly it's consistent with Chance Westry injury which to this day there is still this shroud of secrecy around it. Instead of "lower body injury" couldn't we be told torn Achilles, meniscus tear, high ankle etc etc. HCAA can't you see the excitement of the football program due to transparency. Wouldn't you want this for your program??
Medical information is protected under federal law. What don’t people understand about that?

I'm not saying you are wrong but I'm trying to understand the big advantage to not be playing now.

Won't tournament teams also be able to contact anyone in the portal early? It's not like tourney team coaches are focusing 24/7 on only their next game.

Every team these days will have a few spots open eventually due to players graduating, leaving for the draft or the portal so tournament teams just need to tell a player they will have a spot for them after they are done playing in the tourney and their players leave as some will do.

Maybe portal players do get impatient and take early offers. I guess we will see.
The two issues have been conflated. The reason we did not accept an NIT bid was not to get a head start on portal recruiting. That is a resulting benefit, but not the cause.

...We need to establish a culture where our best players stay, develop, and provide some continuity. We can't turn into a revolving door program where every season you're scrapping the roster and starting over.
If Red is incapable of establishing some sense of the "L word"...loyalty, then we become another way station type program that treads water and HOPES to make a run every few years.
That would be nice.
But it's also clinging to the past.
With NIL $ and the ability to shop around it makes sense for everyone to be in the portal.

A guy like Bacot is a rare commodity...the way he stuck around.
Although he's got to be making a lot of NIL money and Chapel Hill is a great place to be...especially if you're the big man (and likely the richest man) on campus.

Perhaps SU should launch a course in loyalty.

Medical information is protected under federal law. What don’t people understand about that?
Yes, but the law applies to the institutions and personnel involved, not the person.
Nothing stops Chase from speaking up, nor reporters from knocking on his door and asking.
Maybe he clarifies, maybe he doesn't.

The two issues have been conflated. The reason we did not accept an NIT bid was not to get a head start on portal recruiting. That is a resulting benefit, but not the cause.
I understand we declined the NIT due to short roster issues but several posters are also saying an advantage of not playing this week is getting an early start on the portal.

Maybe that's true but I'm trying to figure out why tournament teams can't also still closely follow the portal and contact players right away.

It’s protected, in that medical professionals can’t divulge your medical history to others without your permission. But anybody else with knowledge of your injury can share whatever they please about it, assuming they didn’t agree to some form of NDA with the injured person or doctor.

It’s very likely the coaches know exactly what injury any player has. They don’t share that info out of courtesy, trust, respect, etc. Federal law is not the reason they don’t share the info.

Yes, but the law applies to the institutions and personnel involved, not the person.
Nothing stops Chase from speaking up, nor reporters from knocking on his door and asking.
Maybe he clarifies, maybe he doesn't.
Maybe he doesn’t want to, and What would he? It’s not our business.
Do you also expect the players to come out and let you know how they are doing in class?
What do people think they are entitled to know this stuff?

It’s protected, in that medical professionals can’t divulge your medical history to others without your permission. But anybody else with knowledge of your injury can share whatever they please about it, assuming they didn’t agree to some form of NDA with the injured person or doctor.

It’s very likely the coaches know exactly what injury any player has. They don’t share that info out of courtesy, trust, respect, etc. Federal law is not the reason they don’t share the info.

You aren’t protected from a lawsuit though in many non covered scenarios if someone wanted to seek penalties for sharing that information. HIPAA violation itself it may not be but certainly risk of a lawsuit to which a news outlet or organization is easily a favorable target to seek compensation from for selfishly disclosing information.

This isn't true at all. I am a quality manager and I am not allowed by law to talk of any medical issues of any kind for any of my employees. It is hard enough for me to get HR to keep me even halfway informed, and I need to know as I have an entire department to run. If you are a friend or whatever knock yourself out. But no professional is going to speak of medical issues of any kind under their care.

This isn't true at all. I am a quality manager and I am not allowed by law to talk of any medical issues of any kind for any of my employees. It is hard enough for me to get HR to keep me even halfway informed, and I need to know as I have an entire department to run. If you are a friend or whatever knock yourself out. But no professional is going to speak of medical issues of any kind under their care.

You might be talking about something else. HR cannot share employee medical records with you (or information gleaned from those records) and likewise you can’t share their medical records. That’s because employers usually act as an intermediary for health insurance plans. But that’s not what we’re talking about in this instance. It’s unlikely Red or the coaches are getting access to player medical records. The player is seeing a doctor and relaying info to the staff. The player knows if he has a torn ACL or whatever. He tells the staff. The staff does not have a LEGAL obligation not to share that with whoever they want.

If an employee tells you they have cancer, you can LEGALLY tell anybody else. Morally and ethically, you’d have a problem. And your employer might have rules against it, but HIPAA would not be involved.

Last edited:
100 percent an advantage. First in to the pool creates the biggest waves

I disagree entirely. How does any team playing post season have a disadvantage?

Every single coach and staffer in American is not busy all day long. Id argue a transfer would prefer to visit while taking in a practice. These kids are not being wooed by bells and whistles. It’s ’what Is my NIL package, followed by everything else…playing time, system, role, draft prospects etc etc.”. To think we have some advantage by sitting home, over (insert school here - NC State for example) is nuts.

What’s our talent pool versus the rest of the field? Top 25 starter? Doubtful unless it’s a post grad. G5 starter? Probable. P4 bench warmer? probable. It doesn’t change whether we’re in or out of post season play.

Last edited:
i guess i sort of understand sitting out a postseason game if you believe you're gonna get drafted and can't risk injury. i don't like it but i understand. but sitting out to portal ? that's BS.
What difference does it make? Some kids will make more money their last couple years in college than they'll make at any other point in their career. They should absolutely protect that.

I disagree entirely. How does any team playing post season have a disadvantage?

Every single coach and staffer in American is not busy all day long. Id argue a transfer would prefer to visit while taking in a practice. These kids are not being wooed by bells and whistles. It’s ’what Is my NIL package, followed by everything else…playing time, system, role, draft prospects etc etc.”. To think we have some advantage by sitting home, over (insert school here - NC State for example) is nuts.

What’s our talent pool versus the rest of the field? Top 25 starter? Doubtful unless it’s a post grad. G5 starter? Probable. P4 bench warmer? probable. It doesn’t change whether we’re in our out of post season play.

So playing a tournament with mostly walk ons or guys who won’t be here helps us? How?

I can’t imagine the meltdown if Maliq blows out an ACL in an NIT game because Kyle Cuffe or someone else is playing out of position because others are portalling and refusing to play.

If you support NIL, then you have to support the business decision some of these players are making to protect their marketability.

There’s a lot of people in this thread who are trying to have it both ways.

Just pin this to the top of the board and be done with it. Stop trying to explain this to people who don't want to understand.

Then Duke must have one helluva brinks truck. Let's hope our basketball NIL sees an uptick similar to the FB resurgence. If we get outbid for a prized player during the off-season it's going to cement the idea that we can't compete in that space.
We aren't going to get every player we're after. That's no different than it's always been. There were several prized players over the years that JB didn't land and those rarely impacted how well we competed. You're going to win some (hopefully) and you're going to lose some.

historically, there’s been a lot of stuff that breaks here before the media gets it.
that's why I'm surprised the media doesn't read this board. Is there a journalistic rule that they shouldn't or can't?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom