Syracuse Recruits we mysteriously lost | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Recruits we mysteriously lost

I was at my wife's office Christmas party last year (she works in the athletic department at a Big 12 school). I was chatting with one of her new co-workers. The guy had recently come aboard after having worked closely with Anthony Davis for several years. When he found out I was a big Syracuse fan he really opened up and we talked hoops for a long time. He was from the Midwest and played D1 at a Pac12 school. Said all throughout high school all he dreamed about was getting a UNC offer and/or a Syracuse offer. Said one of the best days of his life is when he got a letter of interest from Syracuse, though they never actually offered a scholarship. He got to play in the Carrier Dome (back in the Carrier Classic days). He spent a bunch of time around USA basketball because of Davis and raved about Hopkins and how great of a guy and coach he is.

Anyway, I knew I had to ask and I waited for the exact right moment to just directly ask - so how much DID Kentucky pay AD to come there? We all know he was coming to Syracuse until something happened. He broke out into a huge smile, laughed, winked and nodded but said he couldn't answer that. He did say that AD was all about Syracuse when Syracuse was on him early and he wanted to commit early, but Syracuse wouldn't take the commitment. After he blew up and attracted more interest, Kentucky did what Kentucky did and he ended up there. This guy, though, swore up and down that had Syracuse let him commit, that AD was the loyal type that wouldn't have broken the pledge even if there was a bag.

take it FWIW.
jim-shaking-head.gif.cf.gif

I was at my wife's office Christmas party last year (she works in the athletic department at a Big 12 school). I was chatting with one of her new co-workers. The guy had recently come aboard after having worked closely with Anthony Davis for several years. When he found out I was a big Syracuse fan he really opened up and we talked hoops for a long time. He was from the Midwest and played D1 at a Pac12 school. .

Washington State?

I was at my wife's office Christmas party last year (she works in the athletic department at a Big 12 school). I was chatting with one of her new co-workers. The guy had recently come aboard after having worked closely with Anthony Davis for several years. When he found out I was a big Syracuse fan he really opened up and we talked hoops for a long time. He was from the Midwest and played D1 at a Pac12 school. Said all throughout high school all he dreamed about was getting a UNC offer and/or a Syracuse offer. Said one of the best days of his life is when he got a letter of interest from Syracuse, though they never actually offered a scholarship. He got to play in the Carrier Dome (back in the Carrier Classic days). He spent a bunch of time around USA basketball because of Davis and raved about Hopkins and how great of a guy and coach he is.

Anyway, I knew I had to ask and I waited for the exact right moment to just directly ask - so how much DID Kentucky pay AD to come there? We all know he was coming to Syracuse until something happened. He broke out into a huge smile, laughed, winked and nodded but said he couldn't answer that. He did say that AD was all about Syracuse when Syracuse was on him early and he wanted to commit early, but Syracuse wouldn't take the commitment. After he blew up and attracted more interest, Kentucky did what Kentucky did and he ended up there. This guy, though, swore up and down that had Syracuse let him commit, that AD was the loyal type that wouldn't have broken the pledge even if there was a bag.

take it FWIW.

This is the worst thing I've ever read. I think I threw up in my mouth a little after reading it.

It certainly seems this will expand dramatically. But, I thought I read in one of the news stories that the FEDs are primarily focusing on the bribing of coaches and assistant coaches and much less on the bribing of players, players families or handlers. Maybe it will all come out anyway but if that is true it would certainly affect the scope of the investigation.

take it FWIW.
When you go from reading a juicy tidbit about Anthony Davis thinking it's going to implicate UK directly, to finding out SU turned down a commitment from Anthony Davis...
giphy.gif

take it FWIW.

Thank God today is Friday

"nerlens...is that even a name ? sounds like a bayou port pronounced by locals. "
reason to me magliore hurt was the canadien connection we were building. and he sat the bench at kentucky.

the 2 centers kentucky stole that irked me were jamal maggliore and nerlon noels. we in turn won the DC3 battle.

Unfortunately, in terms of on court production...
Davis>>>>>Noel>>>MAgloire>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Coleman

That one was shady. He was a NY kid who was all 'Cuse. If I remember correctly, his father started playing agent and then Tennessee/Pearl mysteriously swooped in. Harris wound up dissing SU by announcing his "choice" in front of a bunch of 'Cuse fans who were waiting at ESPN (down there for an SU game). Little did they know.

Why do we have to relive this every 6 months?

Syracuse turning down a commitment from someone they were on early. Right. Don't believe that one bit. Davis' father controlled that recruitment.

I was chatting with a few former cuse players from that era, and they said the nail in the coffin for Mike was when the DO/Sub Standard, don't remember which one, called him the next McNabb. Apparently, that soured him a bit, as well as his mama wanting him closer to home. Take that for what its worth.
Calling him the next McNabb was a Big deal. It may not have been the main reason when it all came down, but it really pizzed him to think he might not be appreciated for himself but for a clone of someone else.

Im trying desperately to salvage my Friday night but this Davis intel has effectively ruined it. Here's a little something to help cleanse our pallets a bit...the time Jim Calhoun was asked for the millionth time about passing on Ryan Gomes after a loss to Providence.
Language NSFW