Syracuse to visit wisconsin in acc/bigten challenge | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse to visit wisconsin in acc/bigten challenge

I don't get how Duke gets to be at home again.
2016 Duke is hosting Michigan State.
2015 Duke played Indiana at home.
2014 Duke was at Wisconsin
2013 Duke played Michigan at home
2012 Duke played Ohio State at home.

Duke gets home games 4 of the last 5 years.
All about TV. People want to see games at Cameron, love or hate Duke.

Just like how they don't play a true OOC away game except in the Challenge, and even then folks try to put it at a neutral site. This one, just to create an example, would have been held in Detroit instead of East Lansing if who was the home team was reversed.

All about TV. People want to see games at Cameron, love or hate Duke.
Duke gets ratings wherever they play and playing at home makes more probably to be a blowout.

If TV had their say they would probably want Duke on the road for the chance they could lose. This is likely because the ACC wants UNC/Duke split up so one is home and one is road for the challenge. When Duke played twice at home previously it messed up their split of UNC/Duke.

Duke gets ratings wherever they play and playing at home makes more probably to be a blowout.

If TV had their say they would probably want Duke on the road for the chance they could lose. This is likely because the ACC wants UNC/Duke split up so one is home and one is road for the challenge. When Duke played twice at home previously it messed up their split of UNC/Duke.
I'd argue the other way. CIS is one of the few historic and iconic arenas in college basketball. It's not every season that a top 5 or top 10 OOC opponent can play there, like a good MSU team (all those final four years), good OSU team (Sullinger years), etc. People want to see a top 5 B1G team play at CIS, not a top 5 Duke team play at OSU.

Hayes returning -- Wiscy will be a top 10 team IMO

I may be wrong, but isn't our record vs. SEC teams horrible? Wouldn't mind improving some of those win/loss numbers...

Just off the top of my head, we have a winning record against Florida in recent years (like 3-1 or so over the past decade). We lost to A&M in the tourney in 2006 and beat them in the Bahamas last year. We won at Arkansas a few years ago. Tennessee swept us in the early 2000s. We beat Auburn in the 2003 tourney. We beat Mississippi State at MSG in the mid-2000s.

So short answer, our record is fine against the SEC.

Just off the top of my head, we have a winning record against Florida in recent years (like 3-1 or so over the past decade). We lost to A&M in the tourney in 2006 and beat them in the Bahamas last year. We won at Arkansas a few years ago. Tennessee swept us in the early 2000s. We beat Auburn in the 2003 tourney. We beat Mississippi State at MSG in the mid-2000s.

So short answer, our record is fine against the SEC.

Weird that THAT game vs Mississippi State is the one you'd remember...

Also we lost to Alabama in the Sweet 16 in 2004

Beat Miss St in the FF in '96. Swept Alabama in '96 & '97.

I was just going back to 2000 in my head for some arbitrary reason.

Eric15 said:
Agreed -- I just don't understand all the negativity about this matchup.

It's not because it's Wisconsin, it's because it's Wisconsin again. It would have been completely possible to avoid a back to back.

It's not because it's Wisconsin, it's because it's Wisconsin again. It would have been completely possible to avoid a back to back.
I wonder if, in the 20-odd year history of all of these "Challenges", two schools have ever played each other in consecutive years.

I wonder if, in the 20-odd year history of all of these "Challenges", two schools have ever played each other in consecutive years.

I was just thinking about that, I don't think its happened before, I wonder why they did it this year.

I was just thinking about that, I don't think its happened before, I wonder why they did it this year.
UVa-Wisconsin - 2012-13 and 2013-14

Yes. Syracuse-Maryland would have made much more sense and was a natural. The UMD arena would have been packed for that game.

I got no problem with Wisconsin. They were one of the 3 opponents I thought was possible. While Maryland made the most sense I guess because ESPN had Syracuse 17th in the preseason polls and Wisconsin 9th they wanted a potential top 20 game.
Maryland wasn't ranked as highly as Wisconsin.

The Badgers are a bad matchup for us because they are a similar type team to Virginia. Which are smart teams, that don't turn the ball over, make a lot of shots, and play tough man to man defense.

Whatever this game will be gravy as a road game against top 25 team is hard to win.

I got no problem with Wisconsin. They were one of the 3 opponents I thought was possible. While Maryland made the most sense I guess because ESPN had Syracuse 17th in the preseason polls and Wisconsin 9th they wanted a potential top 20 game.
Maryland wasn't ranked as highly as Wisconsin.

The Badgers are a bad matchup for us because they are a similar type team to Virginia. Which are smart teams, that don't turn the ball over, make a lot of shots, and play tough man to man defense.

Whatever this game will be gravy as a road game against top 25 team is hard to win.
Wisky has played like that for years yet we have beat them 2 of the previous 3 times we have played them.

Wisky has played like that for years yet we have beat them 2 of the previous 3 times we have played them.
1999 is completely irrelevant. That was before Dick Bennett had his system and players in place.
We have played them 2 times since 2012.
2012 NCAAT Sweet 16 game was a nailbiter. We played ridiculously well and they made 14 3pts and we held on by 1 point.
Last year we choked at the FT and lost a game we should have won.

Wisconsin is going lock us down. We have to hope our D is elite when we play them. We scored 58 points in 45 minutes this year. I doubt we will score 58 points next year. We could win this game because we are Syracuse but I expect we will lose this game which is fine.

I'm fine with the Wisconsin matchup. It looks like they are almost a guaranteed tournament team on the road so I like adding that with what we have so far on the schedule.

It's a tough place to win. Before last season, they had a record of 210-22 at the Kohl Center. Sure it's a repeat match up but it could be worse.