tampa 2 discussion | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

tampa 2 discussion

Our best defense under Shafer was 2010. That defense single handedly won games.
They were never able to put another tandem like Merk and Holmes on the field at the same time.

In the new scheme then they should take more risks and be more aggressive.
So pressure from everywhere, like Shafer and Bullough stopped doing because the secondary couldn't get in position and they needed the linebackers to help in coverage?

So pressure from everywhere, like Shafer and Bullough stopped doing because the secondary couldn't get in position and they needed the linebackers to help in coverage?
Yes more pressure. Throw everything at them. If they score fast , you comeback and score fast . By the second half your conditioning should win . Scores of 80-70 is what you looking for. It's like Keyesian monetary policy applied to college football.

Yes more pressure. Throw everything at them. If they score fast , you comeback and score fast . By the second half your conditioning should win . Scores of 80-70 is what you looking for. It's like Keyesian monetary policy applied to college football.
Make points quickly and drive up inflated scores?

Make points quickly and drive up inflated scores?
What ever it takes to get to the point where your conditioning program puts your team into the position of having the better athletes on the field at that time. A fatigued 4 star is not as good as a 3 star guy who still play at his peak. At least I think that's what the theory says. Late in the game you can score TD's in under a minute and that's when you win.

What ever it takes to get to the point where your conditioning program puts your team into the position of having the better athletes on the field at that time. A fatigued 4 star is not as good as a 3 star guy who still play at his peak. At least I think that's what the theory says. Late in the game you can score TD's in under a minute and that's when you win.
A fatigued Mike Williams(2-star) was alot better than a rested Lobdell(4-star). FWIW, I just read another article about the flawed star-system. It showed that something like 5 of Bama's recruits this year got instant star 'bumps' after committing to Bama. There was no further evaluation, nothing expect a verbal to a factory. It went into detail about how these rating services stay alive through the relationships they have with certain factories and their donors. They don't want to be caught giving the illusion that one of these moneymakers is having a bad recruiting season as that could potentially lead to a bad financial season for the rating service.

But what happens when you play a team that's in as good of shape as you are? You can't tell me that we'd be at an advantage against Clemson because our players are equally tired.

CousCuse said:
The new offense only gives an advantage against teams with superior athletes on their defense when you have worn them down , do to better conditioning. If the opposing offense can possess the ball for long drives you never get that point .

Wrong. The tempo is only part of the equation. It's effective scheme wise before you even get to how fast you're going.

Tempo also works because of limited time between plays, not drives.

CousCuse said:
This has nothing to do with Shafer. This is about the thesis of employing superior conditioning to wear down better athletes so that later in the game your not as highly rated athletes are more capable of still sustaining play and are superior.

Plenty of BG drives in the first Q ended with defenders huffing a puffing. It's less about the course of the whole game and more about the 6+ plays at the end of the drive.

Any defense has to be better than the "opponents are x for x going for it on 4th down for the season," and the "50/50 shot they're going to get the 1st on 3rd and 15" defenses we've employed for the last two years.
yea -- wasnt it like opponents were 15 - 21 on fourth down against us and an absurd 50% chance of 1st on a 3rd and 10+?

our late down D was an embarrassment and a huge reason for our struggles.

A fatigued Mike Williams(2-star) was alot better than a rested Lobdell(4-star). FWIW, I just read another article about the flawed star-system. It showed that something like 5 of Bama's recruits this year got instant star 'bumps' after committing to Bama. There was no further evaluation, nothing expect a verbal to a factory. It went into detail about how these rating services stay alive through the relationships they have with certain factories and their donors. They don't want to be caught giving the illusion that one of these moneymakers is having a bad recruiting season as that could potentially lead to a bad financial season for the rating service.
a fatigued (and puking) donovan mcnabb is better than anything we have had since :)

I am 100% in with Dino, but I will miss Shaf's defensive style. Yes, I realize last year was swiss cheese but shaf's previous defenses were alot of fun.

The old defense was good against relatively immobile qbs and against the run. Throw out last year because they were overall terrible- ex is the cmu game where in years past a qb like that would have been sacked or hurried much more. The old defense relied on getting to the qb and causing ball disruption. I loved the old d. The problem is though if they have a superior athlete at qb who can evade the rush then the secondary is at a disadvantage given the cushions. With blitzing the second line of defense (LBs) are gone leaving only the secondary to cover the run and the pass.

In the end it's not rocket science. You need stops or turnovers. You also need athletes throughout to pressure the qb, to fill holes and to drop into coverage. I would like to see a defense that is aggressive but honestly I will take anything over last year. Which I think you'll see this year just by virtue of the fact that most of the significant players are back this year. The most glaring hole is edge rushers. I hope some of these freshman pan out. We will need them.

I would've been interested to see Shafer's D with the better athletes that Babers will be able to recruit.

Clemson and FSU will eat it up. But will they be able to stop us? (Not joking, see year two of this offense)

NC State and Wake might not like us very much.
NC State and Wake are exactly the type of teams we need to beat this season if we want to go bowling!

Shafer is a great D coach. I expect him to be back coaching and to do great things. He made some major mistakes with hires on the O side and caught a terrible break with the QB injuries.
Would be interesting to see if he ever ends up back at Michigan.

Would be interesting to see if he ever ends up back at Michigan.

Very conceivable and with Michigan being the one big10 squad i route for, would be fun to see him work again with jimmy.

Tyler Cross looks like he just stepped out of a J Crew catalog. Isn't it hot out?! Love the swag.

Edit to stay on topic: Really excited to see the Tampa 2 in action. I don't know much about it (this thread has been a nice education). Just hope we can generate enough pressure on the QB.

Tyler Cross looks like he just stepped out of a J Crew catalog. Isn't it hot out?! Love the swag.

Edit to stay on topic: Really excited to see the Tampa 2 in action. I don't know much about it (this thread has been a nice education). Just hope we can generate enough pressure on the QB.
Guidice looks pretty sturdy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom