Taurean Thompson | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Taurean Thompson

I'll go on record in favor of Lydon. Moyer is a solid 'all-rounder' but doesn't have any exceptional tool(s) I'm aware of; Lydon is terrific from 3, and I think he has elite (college) athleticism and shot-blocking skills.

Any more knowledgeable folks want to course correct?

I have no idea but Lydon seems more like a true stretch 4 to me. He seems taller than 6'8 as well. One thing I worry about is him trying to bulk up too much this year due to playing the 5 out of necessity and losing some athleticism. I don't think Lydon is quick enough to be a 3. Maybe in a pinch here/there. Thoughts?

I have no idea but Lydon seems more like a true stretch 4 to me. He seems taller than 6'8 as well. One thing I worry about is him trying to bulk up too much this year due to playing the 5 out of necessity and losing some athleticism. I don't think Lydon is quick enough to be a 3. Maybe in a pinch here/there. Thoughts?
I don't think it really matters in our system (offense or defense) whether he's technically labeled a 3 or a 4. On defense he'll man one side of the back of the zone regardless and on offense it will just depend on who the other forward is in with him - if it's Roberson then Lydon is more a of a 3 but if it's Mal/G he becomes the 4

I think Moyer is better than both Lydon and Roberson.
Fans on this board tend to over hype the potential contributions of incoming freshmen. Players in high school can look good to great against high school kids, but D1 is a whole different level. How would Roberson and Lydon look if they were back playing against high school kids? Despite his ranking, Lydon made the national team and got great reviews. He is already listed as a first round pick in one of next years mock drafts. Both Lydon and Roberson have the potential to be studs next year...

orangejunkie said:
Fans on this board tend to over hype the potential contributions of incoming freshmen. Players in high school can look good to great against high school kids, but D1 is a whole different level. How would Roberson and Lydon look if they were back playing against high school kids? Despite his ranking, Lydon made the national team and got great reviews. He is already listed as a first round pick in one of next years mock drafts. Both Lydon and Roberson have the potential to be studs next year...

My thoughts on Moyer/Lydon come strictly from having watched them play at the prep school level.

I was just more impressed with Moyer.

The same applies with Thompson at this time His muscle mass needs attention regardless of where h commits to.We really need a big man for next year. Even a JUCO kid would work until we can secure a kid out of high schools should be our normal path for recruiting but has failed recently. Diagne is a flop for academic issues that should have been vetted more carefully.

13 players on scholly allowed...

If we stayed at 3 loss we would only have 10 for next year...

Right now

1-Gbinije SR replaced with Battle
2-Howard
3-Cooney SR replaced with Moyer
4-Chukwu
5-Joseph
6-Lydon
7-Roberson
8-Richardson
9-Coleman
10-Okokoh

We replacing our two seniors with Battle and Moyer. If nobody left we would have been at 10 schollys with a reduction of 3 we had no room for him...Now with a reduction of 2 we should will have room correct or are my numbers wrong.

Nevermind...LOL I drank all my idiot juice today

What? Why? Wouldn't the "uncomplication" have occurred weeks ago?
The appeal limited the scholarship reduction to 8 over 4 years, but starting when? Having us count 3 this year removes that uncertainty .. and now in the out years we're on a fixed schedule ... 2 in 16-17 (11 available), 2 in 17-18 (11 available), and one the year after (12 available). Either way, there would have been a ship available for Thompson next year. But this finalizes things. Now we just need him to come in.

I agree he may be more of a "pinch 3" I don't think adding muscle mass will be a negative issue with Tyler. The same was said about Andy Rautins and it helped him a great deal on the court. If they do it correctly Tyler will have a far better vertical.

13 players on scholly allowed...

If we stayed at 3 loss we would only have 10 for next year...

Right now

1-Gbinije SR replaced with Battle
2-Howard
3-Cooney SR replaced with Moyer
4-Chukwu
5-Joseph
6-Lydon
7-Roberson
8-Richardson
9-Coleman
10-Okokoh

We replacing our two seniors with Battle and Moyer. If nobody left we would have been at 10 schollys with a reduction of 3 we had no room for him...Now with a reduction of 2 we should will have room correct or are my numbers wrong.

Nevermind...LOL I drank all my idiot juice today
You were fine until the red. 3 reductions THIS year, true, but Thompson's coming in next year. Therefore, as your list indicates, next season we will have 10 players with 11 ships available (13-2), leaving one for Thompson.

you are one of the few posters who understands the importance of not trying to get as massive as possible. it can ruin a player.

I agree. I know the guy can shoot, but I don't see him as having the skill set of a 3 in our system. More importantly, I'm not sure that having him play alongside Roberson and / or Moyer [who also doesn't strike me as a 3] will be an effective lineup on either side of the ball.

RF2044 said:
I agree. I know the guy can shoot, but I don't see him as having the skill set of a 3 in our system. More importantly, I'm not sure that having him play alongside Roberson and / or Moyer [who also doesn't strike me as a 3] will be an effective lineup on either side of the ball.
plus it takes away all the advantage we have with being able to pull the 4 outside.

I'm not familiar enough with Moyer to comment about his skill set. My reasons for assuming he'll be a 3 next season are more basic: size and established players at the 4.

If Thompson comes in, I mean, he's 6'10". We also have an established starter at the 4 who's returning (and has been playing very well lately ... and sinking his mid-ranage jumper .. yay). So just looking at the available PT, it looks like TR will start at the 4 next to Chukwu and Thompson would back Roberson up (if DC returns, he'll back up Chukwu and as a senior I doubt Thompson would take his minutes in the middle).

That leaves Lydon at SF, with Moyer probably backing him up there. This is, again, just based on a rough guess about available PT and assumptions about personnel .. and obviously Lydon can hit the outside shot. He's a bigger 3 than we're used to ... and his dribble drive game's not finely honed .. but it's certainly nascent.

I'm not familiar enough with Moyer to comment about his skill set. My reasons for assuming he'll be a 3 next season are more basic: size and established players at the 4.

If Thompson comes in, I mean, he's 6'10". We also have an established starter at the 4 who's returning (and has been playing very well lately ... and sinking his mid-ranage jumper .. yay). So just looking at the available PT, it looks like TR will start at the 4 next to Chukwu and Thompson would back him up (if DC returns, he'll back up Chukwu and as a senior I doubt Thompson would take his minutes in the middle).

That leaves Lydon at SF, with Moyer probably backing him up there. This is, again, just based on a rough guess about available PT and assumptions about personnel .. and also of course that Lydon can hit the outside shot. He's a bigger 3 than we're used to ... and his dribble drive games not finely honed .. but it's certainly nascent.

I get what you're saying about both Lydon / Moyer, on paper.

Moyer is much more of a 4, with some versatility. His release is a bit cork-screwy, but he can shoot from mid range. He's a good passer. Very much an inside oriented guy on offense. That doesn't mean that he can't play 3, or that he won't develop into a 3, but at least right now, he seems more like a relentless 4 who loves to power dunk on people and punish them on the boards.

My dad watched him play a few months ago, and came away thinking that while he needs to fill out [he's only a high school senior--most do], he's got the motor and physical attributes to be a great player. Will be interesting to see whether he lands as a 4 or a 3 eventually. But today, his game is more like a PF in our system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom