Taurean Thompson | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Taurean Thompson

I've seen Moyer play recently. He's s lot more talented offensively than Roberson and more suited to play the 3 defensively than Malachi. He isn't going to wow you with his jumper or 3 point shot, but he'll make them now and then. He's smart and creative and finds a way to score in many ways.

I still say that Roberson starts but that Moyer takes away his minutes if he's not productive.
Ok, appreciate that. If Thompson signs, you have 4 guys capable of contributing at forward ... 2 starters with experience (TR and Lydon) and 2 freshmen who may compete for minutes (Thompson and Moyer).

This is the kind of "problem" I can have a beer over, especially knowing that we have two centers big enough to anchor the zone (assuming DC comes back, which his slow progression suggests is possible).

A bunch of big contributions by Thompson in early season games. Details can be found here http://www.brewsteracademy.org/RelId/610514/ISvars/default/Schedule.htm

Just hit the "Summary" button for each game but here are a few quotes:
11/11 "and unsigned forward Taurean Thompson (New York, NY) corralled a game-high 16 rebounds"
11/15 "Unsigned forward Taurean Thompson (New York, NY) continued his strong play with 8 points, 10 rebounds, and 7 blocks"
11/18 "Brewster was led by unsigned forward Taurean Thompson (New York, NY) with 17 points and 8 rebounds"
11/21 "Unsigned forward Taurean Thompson (New York, NY) had 19 points"
11/22 "Brewster was led by unsigned forward Taurean Thompson (New York, NY) with 16 points and 5 blocked shots"
12/11 "Uncommitted forward Taurean Thompson (New York, NY) added 12 points and 12 rebounds"
12/12 "and uncommitted forward Taurean Thompson (New York, NY) each contributed 12 points"

That could happen ... if Lydon moves over to the 4 and Moyer comes in at the 3. That's the nice thing about Lydon: SF; Stretch 4; or even C (in a pinch). I just don't think Moyer will be in the starting rotation, with two bigger/more experienced guys in front of him. TR's a favorite to start at PF with his rebounding skills, with Thompson backing up if he signs (the year after, he takes over the spot). And at the 3, Lydon's very talented and he'll have experience so .. also unlikely Moyer takes his spot.

But I need to see Moyer play and learn more about his game before this situation clarifies itself.

The thing about Moyer is that he has a fierce attitude on the court. He's a real competitor, very fiery. That's my one knock on Roberson - the only thing that's holding him back is what's between his ears. He was so shy when he committed, had the freshman yips probably as bad as Demetris Nichols did. Remember he almost cried when he made his announcement on ESPN? Moyer is the opposite of that. Kind of like Terrence Roberts/Kenyon Martin in attitude. I think he is going to force his way on to the floor, and I think he is going to be a great teammate, and give the team a new dimension of toughness that we have lacked for a while.

The thing about Moyer is that he has a fierce attitude on the court. He's a real competitor, very fiery. That's my one knock on Roberson - the only thing that's holding him back is what's between his ears. He was so shy when he committed, had the freshman yips probably as bad as Demetris Nichols did. Remember he almost cried when he made his announcement on ESPN? Moyer is the opposite of that. Kind of like Terrence Roberts/Kenyon Martin in attitude. I think he is going to force his way on to the floor, and I think he is going to be a great teammate, and give the team a new dimension of toughness that we have lacked for a while.
That is his personality, Wendell Alexis was the same way...Until his Senior year

Nice to hear that about Moyer. For sure, we could use some of that Pittsburgh/junkyard toughness on the current team. As far as next year's roster, we'll have a whole new rotation front and back. Our 3 most versatile players will be MR, Battle and TL. All three can play multiple positions. This will make the early games HUGELY entertaining, as JB/Hop develop a rotation and test various lineups against OOC teams. Right now, I'm thinking that the guard rotation is malleable, but will probably feature our best players ... Howard and Battle (with KJ backing up the point). MR can also play (or backup) the 2, with a potential dream duo of MR/TB up top. The issue there is .. are they quick enough to drive against (or stay in front of) ACC guards (think Rodriquez of Miami)?

At forward, MR will probably stay at the 3 (although I like TL there, with MR backing up). TR will be at the 4. And Lydon can play either position depending on matchups and production.

Center is Chukwu and DC. If Thompson comes in, depending on his game, he will probably get time at either the 4 or 5.

Hard not to like our chances with a team this loaded.

Agreed on Moyer. Love how this kid looks to punish dunk on everyone.

I'm not putting him at this level, but the way he plays reminds me of Blake Griffin. If he has half the career, we'll be happy. Love how "mean" Moyer plays.

reedny said:
That could happen ... if Lydon moves over to the 4 and Moyer comes in at the 3. That's the nice thing about Lydon: SF; Stretch 4; or even C (in a pinch). I just don't think Moyer will be in the starting rotation, with two bigger/more experienced guys in front of him. TR's a favorite to start at PF with his rebounding skills, with Thompson backing up if he signs (the year after, he takes over the spot). And at the 3, Lydon's very talented and he'll have experience so .. also unlikely Moyer takes his spot. But I need to see Moyer play and learn more about his game before this situation clarifies itself.

Moyer will start next year.

Nice to hear that about Moyer. For sure, we could use some of that Pittsburgh/junkyard toughness on the current team. As far as next year's roster, we'll have a whole new rotation front and back. Our 3 most versatile players will be MR, Battle and TL. All three can play multiple positions. This will make the early games HUGELY entertaining, as JB/Hop develop a rotation and test various lineups against OOC teams. Right now, I'm thinking that the guard rotation is malleable, but will probably feature our best players ... Howard and Battle (with KJ backing up the point). MR can also play (or backup) the 2, with a potential dream duo of MR/TB up top. The issue there is .. are they quick enough to drive against (or stay in front of) ACC guards (think Rodriquez of Miami)?

At forward, MR will probably stay at the 3 (although I like TL there, with MR backing up). TR will be at the 4. And Lydon can play either position depending on matchups and production.

Center is Chukwu and DC. If Thompson comes in, depending on his game, he will probably get time at either the 4 or 5.

Hard not to like our chances with a team this loaded.
Loaded? Not one proven player in the bunch.

Shouldn't Richardson play the 2 next year though? If he's at the 3 and Howard plays most of the minutes next to Battle in the backcourt, it seems like there wouldn't be enough time for both Lydon and Moyer to come off the bench at the forward spots. I would think Richardson will switch to the starting 2 with Howard as the reserve guard. Lydon and Roberson would be the starting forwards, and Moyer comes off the bench to spell them. This would also give us better length in the zone.

LOL dude. You have no idea what you're talking about. We got MCW, Christmas, and Cooney in that class. That class was the least of our problems. 13 and 14 you can have a legitimate gripe about.
MCW/Xmas = 1 productive year each
Cooney has been Cooney...

MCW won nothing
Rak got boned, but was a star last year
Cooney should be on the xcountry team he has to run so much during the game to try to get open

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom