Taurean Thompson | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Taurean Thompson

MCW/Xmas = 1 productive year each
Cooney has been Cooney...

One productive year? Ok. News to me.

We got to the final four with MCW. He was NBA ROY.

Christmas was the DEFENSIVE anchor of the zone that year if you recall and he started FOUR YEARS! Cooney has started THREE YEARS, but will never live up to peoples expectations, because some of you expect him to do things he's not capable of doing. He's not a bad player, but has to play a role he's not capable of because the classes after him STUNK, but yeah ok lets trash the best class of last four before this one we have had.

Maybe Cooney and Christmas shouldn't of came here in 2011. Then we might of won 3 games last year.

Shouldn't Richardson play the 2 next year though? If he's at the 3 and Howard plays most of the minutes next to Battle in the backcourt, it seems like there wouldn't be enough time for both Lydon and Moyer to come off the bench at the forward spots. I would think Richardson will switch to the starting 2 with Howard as the reserve guard. Lydon and Roberson would be the starting forwards, and Moyer comes off the bench to spell them. This would also give us better length in the zone.

You may be right. As much as I like Howard's development at the point, he may not ultimately be as game-ready for combat as Battle and MR will be next year. At the point, especially, Battle will have an adjustment period (about a month). Then all hell will break loose. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see that guard rotation: TB, MR and FH as the 3d guy.

At SF, obviously MR can play there. The other two candidates are TL and Moyer .. both of whom have the length to play PF. To my eye, TL will make a great 3 here. His game is perfect for that position, since he can hit the outside jumper and crash the glass. He's already proven that he can defend out to the corner and block shots. Moyer, from what Matt, RF and Bees have been saying, is a baller ... a kid that likes to slam on people. At 6'8" without an established outside game, to me he looks like a PF backup to TR. But if he's as talented and determined as advertised, he could take minutes or even start over Roberson.

Thompson adds another layer. If he comes in, at 6'10" he can play the 4 or backup 5 behind Chukwu. Or he can play PF to give us a big lineup. So for those Moyer fans out there .. here's your competition at PF: Roberson and a 6'10 kid.

Exactly why this is the deepest, most exciting lineup we've had since Dion came off the bench for the 2012 team.

Last edited:
Loaded? Not one proven player in the bunch.
Well do you like what you've seen from Tyler Lydon? Malachai Richardson? Frank Howard? All those guys will be back, along with (likely) Coleman. Chukwu comes in at center, at 7'2" after a year lifting weights and learning the zone. Moyer -- another baller-- comes in at forward. And we may also get a 6'10" F/C to add depth.

At guard, we have a 5 star guard rolling into town. He'll play next to Richardson.

So yes, I'm excited about next year's team.

Do you trust the judgement of the recruiters after the 13 and 14 classes, also until Lydon shoots more than 4 a game, Mali doesn't dribble it off his foot or FH gets some playing time I am reserving judgement. I remember Roberson being called
'the beast' by the way how has that turned out? KJ2 as a p5 player how has that turned out? By the way Battle is not a point guard and will never be a point guard"kid mamba" what does that tell you

Well do you like what you've seen from Tyler Lydon? Malachai Richardson? Frank Howard? All those guys will be back, along with (likely) Coleman. Chukwu comes in at center, at 7'2" after a year lifting weights and learning the zone. Moyer -- another baller-- comes in at forward. And we may also get a 6'10" F/C to add depth.

At guard, we have a 5 star guard rolling into town. He'll play next to Richardson.

My point was none have proven themselves. Glimpses, yes. Proven, not,close.

reedny said:
I hear you, but where? SF is Lydon's to lose and Moyer's not an outside threat. So Moyer's going to have to fight a senior for PT.
lydon at the 4. Mali/Moyer ate the 3

After the last few years of nut punches I have zero expectations of lydon or Mali coming back.

After the last few years of nut punches I have zero expectations of lydon or Mali coming back.
Wow .. um, certainly the potential is there for both. They also leave before we think they're ready. However, it doesn't seem like either has demonstrated enough of a consistent game to jump after one season.

Wow .. um, certainly the potential is there for both. They also leave before we think they're ready. However, it doesn't seem like either has demonstrated enough of a consistent game to jump after one season.

Potential is really all you need to get drafted.

orangejunkie said:
Not the way Roberson played tonight. I thought he had one of his best games. Was active and looking for his shot right from the start. Wish we could get that every time out.

I think Moyer is better than both Lydon and Roberson.

Potential is really all you need to get drafted.
Well, some of them have visible potential in 8th grade. I think there's more to it ... a player has to demonstrate that his game will translate. Not only does he have to show that he's dominant in college, he has to have a developing skill set that will be effective in the NBA. I'm certainly not an authority on the NBA -- if it weren't for the CBA, NBA scouts would be chasing school buses. But for my two cents, I don't see it for either player. They've both struggled at times. First, Tyler looked good then he's been tentative and struggled lately. Malachi started off well, went into a slump and has played better the last couple of times. Let's see if either one shines in a game against a big name opponent .. UNC for example. A stand-out performance might get the scouts excited. But I don't see it .. this year.

Our NBA guys may have a better read on this.

Well, some of them have visible potential in 8th grade. I think there's more to it ... a player has to demonstrate that his game will translate. Not only does he have to show that he's dominant in college, he has to have a developing skill set that will be effective in the NBA. I'm certainly not an authority on the NBA -- if it weren't for the CBA, NBA scouts would be chasing school buses. But for my two cents, I don't see it for either player. They've both struggled at times. First, Tyler looked good then he's been tentative and struggled lately. Malachi started off well, went into a slump and has played better the last couple of times. Let's see if either one shines in a game against a big name opponent .. UNC for example. A stand-out performance might get the scouts excited. But I don't see it .. this year.

Our NBA guys may have a better read on this.

Chris Mccullogh started out well, then went into a slump, then...didn't play for half a season.

Neither Mali or Lydon show up on any draft boards, so maybe it's moot (fingers crossed)

Chris Mccullogh started out well, then went into a slump, then...didn't play for half a season.

Neither Mali or Lydon show up on any draft boards, so maybe it's moot (fingers crossed)
CM did go up and down a little.. but he was 6'10 .. and a well-known draft prospect who many saw as a one and done. I haven't heard of anyone predicting that with either MR or TL ... and as you point out I haven't seen either mentioned in the mocks.

I think Moyer is better than both Lydon and Roberson.
I'll go on record in favor of Lydon. Moyer is a solid 'all-rounder' but doesn't have any exceptional tool(s) I'm aware of; Lydon is terrific from 3, and I think he has elite (college) athleticism and shot-blocking skills.

Any more knowledgeable folks want to course correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom