Class of 2015 - TE/DE Jake Pickard (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 TE/DE Jake Pickard (NJ) Signed LOI

If we can some how close with Pickard, Sheppard, Fox, Crawford, Clark, Hale that would be pretty amazing.
Based on the fish and loaves post they would have to lose a few to add 6.

Based on the fish and loaves post they would have to lose a few to add 6.
I don't know pending on who it is I think we add at least another 5, possibly 6. We will see some attrition. It always works itself out.

EDIT: Just checked the fishes/loaves thread and I see 2 names I have heard that will not be back. I'm guessing if we get the right guys to commit we take 5, possibly 6.

Last edited:
Free Article on Jakes' OV to Wisconsin. Poor kid just took that OV. You can't tell me that the coach didn't have the change in the works already. And we all know that most, if not all, of these assistant coaches will be gone with a new head coach.

http://wisconsin.At their request, ...-recaps-badgers-official#.VH1HBNOBC-s.twitter

Dec 01, 2014 | 11:44 pm
Pickard Recaps Badgers Official
http://imgix.At their request, this network is being blocked from this site./130/1305420.jpg?w=50&h=50&faces=true
Benjamin WorgullPublisher
MADISON - Millburn (NJ) Senior’s Jake Pickard pledged his commitment to Wisconsin in late July, with his high school teammates by his side, after being wooed by the campus and opportunities the Badgers football program presented.
Over three months later, Pickard finally returned to his future college for his official visit, a trip he said was well worth the wait.
“It was actually awesome, just driving around before the game and see everybody tailgating,” Pickard told BadgerNation. “Once we got there, even with it being after Thanksgiving, the stadium was packed and had a lot of support from all the fans. Even when we were getting down, the fans energy stayed up, which kept the team’s energy up. It was an unreal environment to be around.”
Arriving on his official visit Friday, Pickard spent a good team of time watching film with defensive line coach Chad Kauha’aha’a, showing him film of where Pickard could fit in on the defense and how his skill set can help the program.
“It really blew me away,” said Pickard. “It seems so simple on the outside, but it’s so intricate.”
That made sitting and watching the group work Saturday all that more exciting. Pickard – rated a three-star recruit by At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. - has watched the Badgers and their defense from afar all season long, noting how the group continues to develop after appearing to catch on so quickly at the beginning of the season.
“Those guys stick to their game plan,” said Pickard. “We kind of got down in the beginning of the game, the first quarter and first half or so, but Coach Aranda knew that his game plan was going to work. The boys stuck to it, didn’t really do their own thing and kept attacking when they’re supposed to. In the end the numbers speak for themselves.”
“Aranda may not be a huge talker but when he does talk you’d better listen because he knows exactly what he’s doing,” he added. “(This defense) shows wonders what Aranda can do with one or two years. I am excited to see what he can do the next couple years.”
Pickard spent the weekend with four other official visitors and a handful of uncommitted prospects, the latter of which allowed him to continue talking about and selling the program.
“It was awesome to be able to finally meet those guys and hang out,” said Pickard. “I was with Nate Howard the most, just hanging out, and it was awesome to get to know him. Coach Andersen was very excited about us, knowing that we’re all solid commits and can glimpse into the future.
“I was talking Antonio Williams a lot. He was with us for a lot of it, so I talked to him. After the game I went up to Antonio and Christian Folau and said, ‘Where else do you want to be? There’s no other place in the world that offers the things that Wisconsin does!’”
The 6-6, 230-pound defensive end didn’t know a ton about the rivalry between Minnesota and Wisconsin coming into the weekend. He knew just as much about Paul Bunyan’s Axe, but getting a chance to be around the players in the postgame locker room signaled to him the important of tradition.
“Not only is it important to the community, but what it means to them and having it for 11 years straight is a crazy honor,” said Pickard. “I’m looking forward to continue that with my upcoming year. It’s crazy to see how excited they get, how proud they are and how much the fans get into it. Even 15 minutes after the game there were still thousands of fans watching the chop, cheering for the boys and keeping the energy really high.”
While the defense will still be young next season, the Badgers lose two seniors off the defensive line – Warren Herring and Konrad Zagzebski – and Pickard believes his remaining months at high school will help determine whether he can be an early contributor.
“Weight and muscle gain is all I’m focused on,” said Pickard. “I’m going to be working with my coach and private trainers, just putting as much good weight and muscle on as I can. Literally the one thing Coach Chad stressed is that he knew I could put on as much weight as I want but he wants me to keep my speed and flexibility up. Both he and Coach Andersen said they are looking at me to contribute my freshman year. The only thing stopping me from doing that is myself. I am going to be grinding every day because at the end of the day that’s what I want. I just am going to put the work in I need to do in order to do that.”

I think there's little doubt that Andersen was in negotiations with OSU when Pickard visited, but it's totally understandable that he didn't divulge this to a recruit. In fact, depending on his relationship with his assistants, he may not have said anything to them until it appeared to be a fait accompli. I don't know how else Andersen could have handled the situation - I'm sure Pickard's visit was planned for weeks, and it's non-binding. Until Andersen signed a contract with his new employer, he couldn't very well risk a recruit letting the cat out of the bag.

Whoever Wiscy hired will make a nice run at getting Pickard back, works well that he has already taken his official there. All depends who wisc hires...
[
QUOTE="JoeSU, post: 1224417, member: 309"]I think there's little doubt that Andersen was in negotiations with OSU when Pickard visited, but it's totally understandable that he didn't divulge this to a recruit. In fact, depending on his relationship with his assistants, he may not have said anything to them until it appeared to be a fait accompli. I don't know how else Andersen could have handled the situation - I'm sure Pickard's visit was planned for weeks, and it's non-binding. Until Andersen signed a contract with his new employer, he couldn't very well risk a recruit letting the cat out of the bag.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, nothing the coach can do here. It's part of the business, it just is. Not saying it doesn't suck but I don't think any less of Andersen because of what he told the kid.

This is the best football news we've had in months. Recruiting season is the best.

This is interesting news. As I mentioned before, I live and work in Millburn, know kids who play on the HS football team, and folks I know never got the impression that SU had a serious shot at Picard, at least as much as some folks thought or hoped. Lots of unnecessary drama. Need to see what I can find out.

This is interesting news. As I mentioned before, I live and work in Millburn, know kids who play on the HS football team, and folks I know never got the impression that SU had a serious shot at Picard, at least as much as some folks thought or hoped. Lots of unnecessary drama. Need to see what I can find out.

Be nice to hear! Think it's still a long shot we get him. He seems to love Wisky as a school and I'm sure their next coach will go after him hard.

this is why i like george mcd's message of committing to the school and not the coaching staff.

folks I know never got the impression that SU had a serious shot at Picard, at least as much as some folks thought or hoped. Lots of unnecessary drama. Need to see what I can find out.

Well, I know for a fact from a source very close that we most definitely have a shot and this twist puts us back into a very good situation.

Well, I know for a fact from a source very close that we most definitely have a shot and this twist puts us back into a very good situation.
Dueling sources...you gotta love that. As I've already been told that I violated a couple of NCAA compliance rules, I can't really comment on mine but would love to compare notes after he official signs his NLI.

You have to give us close to a coin flip here. But, a big part of Pickard's commitment was how much he liked the community and atmosphere. Not necessarily the coaching staff. Obviously 17/18 yr. olds are emotional and change course often typically.

We need to capitalize. If we flip him it's going to be a big win for our staff.

I will comment that besides the staff. The Pickard family loved the academics at Syracuse; Jake was comfortable here as he knows people who attend SU and obviously it would be easy for the family to attend his games being a 4 hr drive.

You have to give us close to a coin flip here. But, a big part of Pickard's commitment was how much he liked the community and atmosphere. Not necessarily the coaching staff. Obviously 17/18 yr. olds are emotional and change course often typically.

We need to capitalize. If we flip him it's going to be a big win for our staff.

I understand what you're saying about the atmosphere, but the fact that Jake specifically asked Anderson about his tenure and now has specifically listed that as a reason for his disconcertness, tells me that the coach situation was the no. 1 factor for him going with Wisky.

I understand what you're saying about the atmosphere, but the fact that Jake specifically asked Anderson about his tenure and now has specifically listed that as a reason for his disconcertness, tells me that the coach situation was the no. 1 factor for him going with Wisky.

That's a good thought, even if not #1, I'm sure a big factor for him. That feeling of betrayal is a strong one, our coaches can capitalize. I don't want to talk so coldly about it, but, it's the reality.

I'm around teenagers almost daily, we all know how heavily they react on emotion at that age.

I would love to say commit to the school not the coaches is a great thought but the truth is if you have a dream of playing in the NFL you need to put yourself I. The right spot to make it happen. A coaching staff that you commit to could have the plays and scheme you fit perfectly in and then be switched out for a totally different mind set and you could end up surfing the bench for four years and throw the dream away. Of course only a fraction can actually make it so the schools academics have to be important. But let's face it most of these kids have long term football dreams

Jake needs to hope the new Wisconsin staff even wants him. And at what position.