Class of 2015 - TE/DE Jake Pickard (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 TE/DE Jake Pickard (NJ) Signed LOI

We're good with who we already have at TE/DE. Not that Pickard is bad, but I think Coach is just fine with what he has going into next season.

need to build depth though and have quality kids ready to step in when there are losses - graduation, injury, transfer etc. We could use another DEnd. If we lose Pickard but gain Howard it's a wash, but we'll be hurt a bit if Davis and/or Levine flip plus we don't get Pickard and/or Howard. IMO, we're real thin at DE.

need to build depth though and have quality kids ready to step in when there are losses - graduation, injury, transfer etc. We could use another DEnd. If we lose Pickard but gain Howard it's a wash, but we'll be hurt a bit if Davis and/or Levine flip plus we don't get Pickard and/or Howard. IMO, we're real thin at DE.

How many DEs do we actually have, on roster and incoming?

How many DEs do we actually have, on roster and incoming?

We've got 4 committed in the 2015 class, Ealey, Levine, Davis, and Sheppard, and Ginnetti deferred to 2016.

On the current roster, Ron Thompson and Isaiah Johnson are going to both be juniors this year, Donnie Simmons is a senior, and then Chris Slayton is a redshirt freshman. Unless there are some position changes that's what we have right now. If we land 4 or 5 commits in this class, I imagine we could redshirt them all and then pull one or two off redshirt if there are injuries.

Without a position switch or using freshmen it is a pretty lean depth chart.

bingo. we NEED to have depth so that when injuries arise, we arent left hearing people say "well we had injuries, so lets give a free pass this year." No such thing. Next man up needs to be someone w skills.

We're good with who we already have at TE/DE. Not that Pickard is bad, but I think Coach is just fine with what he has going into next season.
I don't think they're taking this same attitude. They're going strong after him. His frame could easily develop into an interior DL or OT. Talent is talent and as a matter of course you never give up talent so easily.

You mean like beating out Florida ;).
I don't know anyone we have verbals from that has an offer from Florida.
Syracuse DT commit Steven Clark said that Florida coaches did not offer while visiting him today. Clark won't visit UF w/out an offer.

I don't know anyone we have verbals from that has an offer from Florida.
Syracuse DT commit Steven Clark said that Florida coaches did not offer while visiting him today. Clark won't visit UF w/out an offer.
????

Am I the only one who thinks that it's kind of crazy for a guy like Pickard (big 6-foot-6, blonde white kid) not to wind up at Wisconsin (because he's already committed there) since they've got the best sales pitch for any young DE who looks like that, in JJ Watt?

From a free article on Scowt Pickard is supposedly taking an OV to Michigan this weekend. http://recruiting.At their request,...m_medium=HootSuitePost&utm_campaign=HootSuite

Plus I was checking the list of kids who are suppose to be taking visits there this weekend... all there are is kids they are trying to flip from other programs. That wouldn't give me a good feeling... but that's just me.

Last edited:
From a free article on Scowt Pickard is supposedly taking an OV to Michigan this weekend. http://recruiting.At their request,...m_medium=HootSuitePost&utm_campaign=HootSuite
I can't take the emotional roller coaster of recruiting anymore- on the one hand I love the fact that we are in on kids like Pickard (and then I allow myself to get my hopes up) but our track record is pretty abysmal over the last decade or so in reeling them in (and then the depression sets in). Still, this class seems to be shaping up with more potential from top to bottom than anything I can remember since the P days. Still- I would love to take one or two away from W or UM and really get the ball rolling again.

I can't take the emotional roller coaster of recruiting anymore- on the one hand I love the fact that we are in on kids like Pickard (and then I allow myself to get my hopes up) but our track record is pretty abysmal over the last decade or so in reeling them in (and then the depression sets in). Still, this class seems to be shaping up with more potential from top to bottom than anything I can remember since the P days. Still- I would love to take one or two away from W or UM and really get the ball rolling again.

I get what you're saying - but one of the things to remember is that we have 3 DE coming in and all can be as good as this kid. And we just took one from Florida. I don't think he makes or breaks anything - would love to have him of course.

I get what you're saying - but one of the things to remember is that we have 3 DE coming in and all can be as good as this kid. And we just took one from Florida. I don't think he makes or breaks anything - would love to have him of course.

You mean the DE from FL that flipped to Oregon St.?

we took a couple on the chin yesterday for sure. Everyone knew Davis was going to flip so that's not a surprise. Levine is on deck to flip now imho.

It’d be a job well done getting Pickard. Expect the worst hope for the best.

It’s crazy how we worry about our kids flipping – who take other visits – but we don’t ever think we can do the flipping. Any kid taking a late visit to us gives us a chance. I feel pretty good about Howard. Distance might be a factor but this could be our surprise for the year.

I would love the late bloomer kid from Florida as plan B defensive end. That kid to me looks like a nice prospect. I forget his name. 1st year football player, hoopster. 6-4 225. Gulf side, maybe around Tampa.

we took a couple on the chin yesterday for sure. Everyone knew Davis was going to flip so that's not a surprise. Levine is on deck to flip now imho.

It’d be a job well done getting Pickard. Expect the worst hope for the best.

It’s crazy how we worry about our kids flipping – who take other visits – but we don’t ever think we can do the flipping. Any kid taking a late visit to us gives us a chance. I feel pretty good about Howard. Distance might be a factor but this could be our surprise for the year.

I would love the late bloomer kid from Florida as plan B defensive end. That kid to me looks like a nice prospect. I forget his name. 1st year football player, hoopster. 6-4 225. Gulf side, maybe around Tampa.
Dunbar I believe.

Dunbar I believe.

Yeah, Dunbar is the kid, very raw but looks like a really athletic kid. TE is where he has been playing, he has only played football for a couple of years.