Class of 2015 - TE/DE Jake Pickard (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 TE/DE Jake Pickard (NJ) Signed LOI

Well, that sucks. No more reason to come back to visit this thread, I suppose.

Far from home. At least his parents can watch him play vs Rutgers a time or two. Baffled.

#nextmanup

jgeorge322 said:
Badgers

Disappointing...have to run out now and will post more later.

Six words Art Jones, Chandler Jones, Dwight Freeney
Hate to break it to you, but do you think Pickard see's himself as a black man like Dwight Freeney, or a white guy like Watt?

Hate to break it to you, but do you think Pickard see's himself as a black man like Dwight Freeney, or a white guy like Watt?
Are you serious?

Sorry man, but this has no bearing IMO.

Are you serious?

Sorry man, but this has no bearing IMO.
I was responding to a post by WFSchrec in which he was implying that even though Wisco can say that Pickard can be the next JJ Watt, we could tell Pickard he could be the next Art, Chandler, or Freeney. If you don't think race has any factor in how athletes are compared to each other and how kids emulate their games, then you're just being naive.

And just as a pet peeve, why do you end your sentence with IMO? Clearly it's your opinion, you're the one typing it.

So you are serious. Ok then.
Just because I'm curious, I'd love to hear your take on this matter? Do you think race has any impact on self-identification, comparison to other athletes and on perception of athleticism and skill? And therefore wouldn't it be easier for Pickard to see himself as the next JJ Watt and not the next Dwight Freeney?

I think it's moreso because he has really, really long arms for a DE, which is why everyone is obsessed with JJ Watt, and for good reason.

Just because I'm curious, I'd love to hear your take on this matter? Do you think race has any impact on self-identification, comparison to other athletes and on perception of athleticism and skill? And therefore wouldn't it be easier for Pickard to see himself as the next JJ Watt and not the next Dwight Freeney?

Just because your wondering, no and no.

I played college ball, have coached high school for a number of years and disagree.

Furthermore, being a 2013 graduate of Sports Management I'm assuming you're in your early 20's. If that's not the case I apologize, but, I believe that our examples/definitions of naive may differ.

I'm white, when I was a kid playing basketball I would always emulate Jordan. It was always Jordan for 3 at the buzzer. They will look at who is the best. Race doesn't impact who they want to be like. They want to play like someone who has a particular style or flare, who dominates.

I'm white, when I was a kid playing basketball I would always emulate Jordan. It was always Jordan for 3 at the buzzer. They will look at who is the best. Race doesn't impact who they want to be like. They want to play like someone who has a particular style or flare, who dominates.

That was how I always did things as a kid. As a white guy, It was always Jordan when I played basketball, it was always Curtis Martin when I played football, Andre Agassi when I played Tennis, Tiger Woods in golf and Derek Jeter for baseball.

Race didn't really matter to me, whoever my favorite athlete for the sport was who I wanted to be growing up. I'm sure it does matter to some people, but not to everybody. Also, it wouldn't be surprising to me (or anyone) if a young DE wanted to be J.J. Watt, he is undoubtedly the best in the game right now.

Yeah definitely thrown off a bit with that comment. As a black kid growing up in the inner city, I imitated Lawrence Taylor, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, not because of their color but because they were the best at what they did and I wanted to be like them.

Last edited:
That was how I always did things as a kid. As a white guy, It was always Jordan when I played basketball, it was always Curtis Martin when I played football, Andre Agassi when I played Tennis, Tiger Woods in golf and Derek Jeter for baseball.

Race didn't really matter to me, whoever my favorite athlete for the sport was who I wanted to be growing up. I'm sure it does matter to some people, but not to everybody. Also, it wouldn't be surprising to me (or anyone) if a young DE wanted to be J.J. Watt, he is undoubtedly the best in the game right now.

You sound like a front runner. Just kidding of course

Yeah definitely thrown off a bit with that comment. As a black kid growing up in the inner city, I immolated Lawrence Taylor, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, not because of their color but because they were the best at what they did and I wanted to be like them.
God! I hope you called the fire department!

Yeah definitely thrown off a bit with that comment. As a black kid growing up in the inner city, I immolated Lawrence Taylor, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, not because of their color but because they were the best at what they did and I wanted to be like them.

Immolated?
couchburn

You sound like a front runner. Just kidding of course

Oddly enough, I was a Jets fan, Mavs fan, Yankees fan(solid front runner here) I played golf 3 times, and got into tennis late in Agassi's career.