TE Steve Mahar out for season | Syracusefan.com

TE Steve Mahar out for season

Sucks. Really expected a lot from this kid when he originally signed, but he hasn't been able to see the field. And now this.

Wonder if he'll ever contribute during his time on the hill.

That said, best wishes to Mahar for a speedy recovery. From personal experience, ACL tears suck.

Crap, Here we go with the injuries

This Sucks Season 3 GIF by The Office

Crap, Here we go with the injuries

This Sucks Season 3 GIF by The Office

Not to minimize this injury in any way, shape, or form.

But I'd rather have it happen to a 3rd stringer than a principal from the two-deep.

Fingers crossed we can avoid more season ending issues like this, hate camp injuries.

Stinks but its hard to see him getting targets to begin with.

Are we worried about depth in the tight end room? Or not really because it is more of a blocking role behind OG? Or something else?

Are we worried about depth in the tight end room? Or not really because it is more of a blocking role behind OG? Or something else?
With both Max Mang and the addition of Clement we should be good on the traditional TE spot. But I'd say a little concerning for the receiving TE role. Vilari is banged up right now and wasn't participating right? Hopefully that is not serious. I guess Alford could probably step into that role if it got dire. We probably have other guys who could step in as an outside WR.

I think Clement is probably going to become the starter and play a ton by Game 3-4
He definitely has the size to be ready to play right off the bat. Would be very good for our 2024 team if he gets lots of meaningful snaps this season.

He definitely has the size to be ready to play right off the bat. Would be very good for our 2024 team if he gets lots of meaningful snaps this season.
I'm thinking Clement will get some good PT as a frosh. Seems like a very nice all around TE. He is 6'-6" and 275 lbs and I'm betting he may be the best traditional type of TE we have brought in a very long time. And they have been throwing a lot of short stuff to him in the highlights. I haven't seen Mang catching any balls.

With both Max Mang and the addition of Clement we should be good on the traditional TE spot. But I'd say a little concerning for the receiving TE role. Vilari is banged up right now and wasn't participating right? Hopefully that is not serious. I guess Alford could probably step into that role if it got dire. We probably have other guys who could step in as an outside WR.

Depth is again an issue, with Mahar's injury.

My guess is that we'll continue to see the TE position deemphasized, in terms of the playbook. Obviously, OG is "nominally" a TE, in the Y role, but plays more like a WR. Mang is there for blocking only. Villari showed promise in the bowl; if he isn't injured, he'll see the field. And Clement has a big opportunity ahead of him, but who knows his readiness factor [1] as a true frosh, and [2] how quickly he'll be ready to contribute / understand the playbook.

Depth is again an issue, with Mahar's injury.

My guess is that we'll continue to see the TE position deemphasized, in terms of the playbook. Obviously, OG is "nominally" a TE, in the Y role, but plays more like a WR. Mang is there for blocking only. Villari showed promise in the bowl; if he isn't injured, he'll see the field. And Clement has a big opportunity ahead of him, but who knows his readiness factor [1] as a true frosh, and [2] how quickly he'll be ready to contribute / understand the playbook.
I think Clement is really going to surprise, even this year. But a traditional TE is only going to play so many downs as we have many formations that don't include one and Gadsden as the Y-TE or move TE or whatever he is, is our most explosive offensive weapon.

Bummer, I had Mahar as one of my breakout guys this season.

Don't we have a walkon tight end that could add depth to the position?

Tight end depth without Mehar...

1 - Gadsden, 6'5", 225 lbs. - he's a receiver not a TE.
1a - Mang, 6'7", 265 - blocking TE
2 - Villari, 6'4", 235 lbs. - was he wearing a green shirt last week?
3 - Clement, 6'6", 275 lbs. - true freshman. Certainly, big enough. Enrolled early. Did fairly well in spring.
4 - Runyon, 6', 228 lbs. - walk-on transfer from Lafayette
5 - Oberhofer, 6'1", 215 lbs. - walk-on, true freshman.

I expect the top four guys to play.

If we need another TE who can block in short yardage or goal line sets, I'd consider bringing in an additional offensive lineman like Bradford, Wholabaugh, Reed or Ilioa. We have some options here.

Tight end depth without Mehar...

1 - Gadsden, 6'5", 225 lbs. - he's a receiver not a TE.
1a - Mang, 6'7", 265 - blocking TE
2 - Villari, 6'4", 235 lbs. - was he wearing a green shirt last week?
3 - Clement, 6'6", 275 lbs. - true freshman. Certainly, big enough. Enrolled early. Did fairly well in spring.
4 - Runyon, 6', 228 lbs. - walk-on transfer from Lafayette
5 - Oberhofer, 6'1", 215 lbs. - walk-on, true freshman.

I expect the top four guys to play.

If we need another TE who can block in short yardage or goal line sets, I'd consider bringing in an additional offensive lineman like Bradford, Wholabaugh, Reed or Ilioa. We have some options here.

Forgot about the Lafayette kid. Wonder if he's physically overmatched, or can play in a reserve capacity [genuinely don't know].

This was a kid that I was hoping we’d get something out of. We really need a TE who can catch AND block. We do not have one. It really limits what we can do in a lot of situations. I can’t say it’s a big loss because I have no idea what he might’ve brought to the table this year. So far in his career it had been nothing but I was hoping for growth and development. Now, Clement would be the only player who fits that mold, but as a true freshman, it’s hard to expect much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom