Texas A&M boosters paying $30M NIL | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Texas A&M boosters paying $30M NIL

They get advances after sending transcripts or demos or performing auditions. They're not signing six figure deals based on a short short they wrote in english class, their performance during a chorus concert, or their performance in a high school play. They are generally made to prove themselves to some extent and advances for new artists often start out pretty small. As an aspiring author my wife is pretty familiar with how that particular field works. There are layers of things you have to get through before you get any sort of advance.
You're nitpicking here. I know you know that.

Their highschool performance, camps, other showcases of their talent are the audition.

This isn't hard, people.

Well, that's why I said that the NCAA's big mistake was having NIL and the transfer sit out freebie happen simultaneously.

Put aside the portal. NIL would still be happening. Knowing you as I do through these boards, I’m surprised you support something that for the most part rewards the very few and very best and not everyone. It seems counter to all your other beliefs.

You're nitpicking here. I know you know that.

Their highschool performance, camps, other showcases of their talent are the audition.

This isn't hard, people.
Yes, it earns them the next level to further prove themselves which is a scholarship, which is worth more than most advances to unproven artists. I think you're overestimating how frequently unproven artists get advances and how much they typically get.

Camps and high school games don't allow accurate showcases of talent. That's why there is such a wide variety of success once guys get to college.

NIL is in it infancy. It’s not a one time deal. Donors will be asked to give towards facilities too. The well may get tapped out.

NIL is in it infancy. It’s not a one time deal. Donors will be asked to give towards facilities too. The well may get tapped out.
It'll be a balancing act. There is money that has gone to facilities simply because they needed to use it once it was donated. How often are the putting greens and sleep rooms being used? Is the slide from the second level to the main level needed? Some of that will go to NIL now.

Were you one of the people who believed an Oklahoma fan site message board poster (whose handle is slicedbread) when Mr. Bread declared that Texas A&M-adjacent groups spent $30 million on the 2022 recruiting class? Don’t worry. You weren’t alone. That post got aggregated on a site called BroBible.com, and lots of people believed it. A vice president at Notre Dame believed it.

That's petty. And not even true as a blanket statement.

The kid has established themselves enough based on their athletic accomplishments as a teen.

The blanket statement is all getting advances.

Anyway the conversation here went from guys making money on the hundreds of jerseys they sell and appearances to slush funds based on recruiting rankings.

If I could nap for four years I would. Waking up JB will have it figured out by then…

Put aside the portal. NIL would still be happening. Knowing you as I do through these boards, I’m surprised you support something that for the most part rewards the very few and very best and not everyone. It seems counter to all your other beliefs.
I know NIL would still be happening, and I'm still supportive of it. One is a pragmatic reason for athletes, and the other is actually a bigger picture societal issue.

I'm actually very supportive of it because sure, there's some high profile stuff happening with seemingly big money changing hands. But some of the athletes benefitting from this are ones at smaller schools in smaller communities playing less recognizable sports. It's a good thing that they're benefitting now.

Bigger picture, and I've mentioned this before, but in the world we live in we need to start thinking about digital identity as a fundamental human right. Your existence as a living breathing human entitles one to a digital presence representative of your flesh and blood. We live in a world where a significant amount of daily life occurs online - monetary transactions, social interactions, etc. There must be recognition of the rights of individuals to that reality.

Yes, it earns them the next level to further prove themselves which is a scholarship
Clearly not just a scholarship now.

Also those artists aren't entering a system that has a highly televised near national holiday like tournament for the 64 best teams of "artists" or a slate of postseason bowl games with massive corporate sponsorship to showcase themselves against each other in.

Were you one of the people who believed an Oklahoma fan site message board poster (whose handle is slicedbread) when Mr. Bread declared that Texas A&M-adjacent groups spent $30 million on the 2022 recruiting class? Don’t worry. You weren’t alone. That post got aggregated on a site called BroBible.com, and lots of people believed it. A vice president at Notre Dame believed it.

The number may be off right now but I don’t believe the A&M excuses in that article. They admit there is a collective named the fund. They admit they have paid players. They admit they have paid out millions though in the low single digits. They admit they want to raise much more. Then they wouldn’t speak on the record and wonder why other schools are admitting deals. I just don’t believe everything they are saying.

Clearly not just a scholarship now.

Also those artists aren't entering a system that has a highly televised near national holiday like tournament for the 64 best teams of "artists" or a slate of postseason bowl games with massive corporate sponsorship to showcase themselves against each other in.
No, but they're entering into fields where the executives make much more money off of their performances than the artists do, which I believe is your main beef. You're merely talking about the semantics of how the money is generated. And actually corporate sponsorship is included in TV, movie, and concert revenue, it just isn't some huge singular event like a tournamnet.

Look at the cast of friends. They all had acting credits for years prior to being on the show and all still had to audition for the show. And initially they didn't make near the money they eventually would despite the immediate popularity of the show. Eventually, they paid their dues, negotiated producer credits, and now make more from syndication than they ever did on the show. But didn't get huge advances before filming a scene and didn't even make the huge money initially compared to how much the show was generating. And they were all actors in their mid-20's that had paid their dues in other acting jobs before getting the big pay day.

It's the way it works in every industry. The people generating the product never make close to the money the people in charge do. And let's be clear, what people are talking about in this thread are not players that have had huge college success and want to sell some autographs or sign an endorsement deal. They're high school kids that haven't played a down of college football.

And the argument that the kids are enirely responsible for the money generated is false. The colleges give them the platform. If you take all of the same players and put them in a minor league system, nobody would know their names until they advanced to the NFL. A few "can't miss" prospects would sign endorsement deals, but most will make more money going to college with the NIL environment than they would in a minor league system. As I said before it's a symbiotic relationship and too many want to down play the contribution of the colleges and moreso their rabid fanbases.

No, but they're entering into fields where the executives make much more money off of their performances than the artists do, which I believe is your main beef. You're merely talking about the semantics of how the money is generated. And actually corporate sponsorship is included in TV, movie, and concert revenue, it just isn't some huge singular event like a tournamnet.

Look at the cast of friends. They all had acting credits for years prior to being on the show and all still had to audition for the show. And initially they didn't make near the money they eventually would despite the immediate popularity of the show. Eventually, they paid their dues, negotiated producer credits, and now make more from syndication than they ever did on the show. But didn't get huge advances before filming a scene and didn't even make the huge money initially compared to how much the show was generating. And they were all actors in their mid-20's that had paid their dues in other acting jobs before getting the big pay day.

It's the way it works in every industry. The people generating the product never make close to the money the people in charge do. And let's be clear, what people are talking about in this thread are not players that have had huge college success and want to sell some autographs or sign an endorsement deal. They're high school kids that haven't played a down of college football.

And the argument that the kids are enirely responsible for the money generated is false. The colleges give them the platform. If you take all of the same players and put them in a minor league system, nobody would know their names until they advanced to the NFL. A few "can't miss" prospects would sign endorsement deals, but most will make more money going to college with the NIL environment than they would in a minor league system. As I said before it's a symbiotic relationship and too many want to down play the contribution of the colleges and moreso their rabid fanbases.
Dude, you are way too hung up on this "having to prove yourself" thing.

Before friends Joey was in a ketchup commercial, Monica was in a music video, and Rachel was in Leprechaun 2.

That's the acting equivalent of AAU/EYBL ball.

Dude, you are way too hung up on this "having to prove yourself" thing.

Before friends Joey was in a ketchup commercial, Monica was in a music video, and Rachel was in Leprechaun 2.

That's the acting equivalent of AAU/EYBL ball.
You're sarcasm doesn't disprove my point. They did way more than that before friends, and I bet you know that. I also bet they made peanuts while working side jobs while learning their craft.

People in other fields do unpaid internships and clinicals before getting paid.

You're not hung up enough on proving yourself, and that wasn't the only point I made.

There is nothing wrong with delayed gratification. It is actually a beneficial thing.

You're sarcasm doesn't disprove my point. They did way more than that before friends, and I bet you know that. I also bet they made peanuts while working side jobs while learning their craft.

You're not hung up enough on proving yourself, and that wasn't the only point I made.

There is nothing wrong with delayed gratification. It is actually a beneficial thing.
They did do unpaid internships. Camps, HS football. Those are the same as clinicals and unpaid internships

I know NIL would still be happening, and I'm still supportive of it. One is a pragmatic reason for athletes, and the other is actually a bigger picture societal issue.

I'm actually very supportive of it because sure, there's some high profile stuff happening with seemingly big money changing hands. But some of the athletes benefitting from this are ones at smaller schools in smaller communities playing less recognizable sports. It's a good thing that they're benefitting now.

Bigger picture, and I've mentioned this before, but in the world we live in we need to start thinking about digital identity as a fundamental human right. Your existence as a living breathing human entitles one to a digital presence representative of your flesh and blood. We live in a world where a significant amount of daily life occurs online - monetary transactions, social interactions, etc. There must be recognition of the rights of individuals to that reality.
You and I (totally) disagree on NIL, not the principal of compensating kids for the use of their image per se, but it's obvious and predictable misuse in the P5 universe by obsessive and delusional fanbases. But I give you a thumbs up on the highlighted portion. I think that's true, and every day it gets truer. That's why I support GDPR.

You and I (totally) disagree on NIL, not the principal of compensating kids for the use of their image per se, but it's obvious and predictable misuse in the P5 universe by obsessive and delusional fanbases. But I give you a thumbs up on the highlighted portion. I think that's true, and every day it gets truer. That's why I support GDPR.
I actually really appreciate that we're in agreement on that big picture part. Often when I mention this idea to people they have no idea what I even mean, or how big of a deal it really is.

I don't need to be hung up on other people proving themselves, BECAUSE THE PEOPLE HANDING OUT THE MONEY HAVE DECIDED THAT THE ONES GETTING THE MONEY HAVE PROVEN ENOUGH ALREADY

I'm dealing in reality here. It's a reality that some fans are twisting themselves into pretzels over, and I have no idea why.

I guess coaching basketball doesn't require high intellect or the ability to make a logical argument. He complains about players leaving a school allegedly for more money at another school while ignoring that's exactly why coaches job jump.

How about all of these grossly overpaid coaches put 25% of their ridiculous salaries back into the pot to provide to all of his players equally. With 12 guys on the roster that would be about $90,000 each and might make them happy Bill. Maybe that would keep a few of them from transferring. Don't worry you can make up the 1 million pretty easy with speaking fees and basketball camps.

I'll debate all day with those on here with differing viewpoints but these whiny coaches making millions and complaining work/life is to hard make me throw up in my mouth when I read their b.s.

They did do unpaid internships. Camps, HS football. Those are the same as clinicals and unpaid internships
You honestly think those are the same? They're not. The point I was making is that people doing unpaid internships and clinicals are contributing to companies bottom line while not getting compensated. Camps and high school football don't do that.

Last edited:
I don't need to be hung up on other people proving themselves, BECAUSE THE PEOPLE HANDING OUT THE MONEY HAVE DECIDED THAT THE ONES GETTING THE MONEY HAVE PROVEN ENOUGH ALREADY

I'm dealing in reality here. It's a reality that some fans are twisting themselves into pretzels over, and I have no idea why.
Like I said before, that was only one point I made. It's the only one you're choosing to focus on.

You're right though. It is the right of delusional millionaire/billionaire fans/boosters to throw money at high school kids in the hopes their school wins more games than other schools just like high rollers have the right to lose however much they want when they go to Vegas.

I also know from previous conversations with you that you don't care about the competitve balance part of college athletics. I think that's something that has some importance in college sports, and that is one of the parts many are "twisting themselves into pretzels over." But if you don't care about that, I can see why it wouldn't bother you.

Like I said before, that was only one point I made. It's the only one you're choosing to focus on.

You're right though. It is the right of delusional millionaire/billionaire fans/boosters to throw money at high school kids in the hopes their school wins more games than other schools just like high rollers have the right to lose however much they want when they go to Vegas.

I also know from previous conversations with you that you don't care about the competitve balance part of college athletics. I think that's something that has some importance in college sports, and that is one of the parts many are "twisting themselves into pretzels over." But if you don't care about that, I can see why it wouldn't bother you.
I don't necessarily care about competitive balance, that's true, but I also think that even in the NIL world there are opportunities for lots of programs to find ways to compete.

Inefficiencies are going to pop up. Programs that figure out how to make that work in their favor will be successful.

But there's another reason why "camps" and other athletic tryouts aren't really "earned marketing value". It's because, in many cases, NIL money is raised to entice (prospective) student athletes to enroll at, play for, and ultimately help a particular (SEC) TEAM deliver wins. Sure, in some cases, NIL recipients get paid (and deserve it) for value outside of the team concept - because they have unusual model-like looks, big social media followings, etc. Also, some athletes share their own IP with the teams' (and split the proceeds). But it's pretty obvious that the biggest booster checks are aimed at securing or rewarding athletic performance ... i.e., compensating kids that boosters think will deliver team wins. And that is not the really NIL; it's 'pay-for-play'. That's why the concept is so poisonous in the context of amateur college sports.

Last edited:
Wish we could jump ahead to the 2032 football season opener and see what the schedule looks like and what the attendance will be. Will the fans support a Tier 2 product if that is where we are?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom