Texas A&M boosters paying $30M NIL | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Texas A&M boosters paying $30M NIL

. . . compensation cannot be contingent upon their enrollment at a particular school . . .

Open question whether this violates texas state law. But having 50 different sets of rules ... will make compliance a nightmare.

They use NIL as an enticement to attend. Contract isn't signed until enrolled. Pretty simple stuff. One year renewable in case someone transfers.

Will probably have morality clauses too so if someone is convicted of a crime they are SOL.

. . . compensation cannot be contingent upon their enrollment at a particular school . . .

That's not hard at all to get around. You don't have to give a guy money to get him to go to your school. You just have to give current players money and make sure prospects see that will be them.

That's not hard at all to get around. You don't have to give a guy money to get him to go to your school. You just have to give current players money and make sure prospects see that will be them.
Agree (as currently formulated). Existing NCAA rules are loose. The NCAA has been trying to update Bylaw 12, but anti-trust concerns (and bureaucratic malaise) have stalled efforts. At the end of the day, I don't see how an educational membership association built on amateurism can permit boosters to "buy" student athlete enrollment ... which is clearly what's being attempted by some booster groups. Offering money "upon enrollment", or delaying contract signing until a minute after enrollment, is still an inducement to enroll. But until congress acts and/or the NCAA updates its rules it's a free-for-all. There are way too many uncertainties to project how this will all flesh out.

Last edited:
Agree. it's loose as a goose. They've been trying to update it, but anti-trust concerns (and bureaucratic malaise) have stalled efforts. At the end of the day, I don't see how an amateur sports membership association can permit boosters to buy recruits .. which is clearly what's going on. Arguably, offering money "upon enrollment", or waiting until the student is enrolled before signing a contract, is probably still paying for enrollment. But until congress acts and/or the NCAA updates its rules it's a free-for-all.
Not offering until after enrollment actually makes sense. The logic is that once the guy becomes a big deal, he's worthy of endorsements ala Sean Tucker. Where it's clearly fishy is that kids are getting deals before they actually do anything on the field.

Not offering until after enrollment actually makes sense. The logic is that once the guy becomes a big deal, he's worthy of endorsements ala Sean Tucker. Where it's clearly fishy is that kids are getting deals before they actually do anything on the field.
The current situation sets up a collision between state laws that protect NIL rights (e.g.,Texas, Florida and Cali) and NCAA amateurism restrictions (Bylaw 12 or its successor). Universities have their own IP rights. And the NCAA clearly has an interest in prohibiting pay-for-play - which is incongruent with its operating model. At the same time, state laws can protect student athletes's IP rights and prohibit in-state schools from interfering. A fascinating (and high-stakes) controversy is brewing.

Last edited:
Posted this on the bball board because it’s a bball tweet but it certainly applies to fball too with these boosters and collectives.

C844E262-C556-45A8-A5BC-2D6FD5E8E196.jpeg

So these billionaires like Ruiz at Miami aren’t just putting up millions to get players, it appears they or others are encouraging kids to transfer to increase business. I’m have no doubt people have been doing that behind the scenes trying to get Mikel Jones to enter the portal. i.e Miami.

we just had a fball thread about the top 40-50 qbs a few years ago and how few panned out for the team they went too. tons of money being dropped on players when 5-10% play at a level most teams hope for
That's a very strong argument for players being able to capitalize on when their value is perceived to be highest.

Posted this on the bball board because it’s a bball tweet but it certainly applies to fball too with these boosters and collectives.

View attachment 216879
Yeah, I'm still on record stating that NIL remains a positive development for the student-athletes, which is what matters.

But where the NCAA genuinely and truly screwed up was by having NIL coincide with the freebie transfer eligibility.

That was the mistake.

Yeah, I'm still on record stating that NIL remains a positive development for the student-athletes, which is what matters.

But where the NCAA genuinely and truly screwed up was by having NIL coincide with the freebie transfer eligibility.

That was the mistake.

NIL is not nor was ever intended to be a method for billionaires and millionaires to buy and sell recruits.

NIL is not nor was ever intended to be a method for billionaires and millionaires to buy and sell recruits.
Yeah I don't have a problem with that is the thing, and never have.

Because people didn't think.

This was never about selling a few jerseys, or doing hokey ads for apple orchards. Or putting a few more dollars in the pockets of kids.

Agents, handlers, family hangers on...

That was the mistake.
Yeah, it totally makes sense that people have huge sums of money thrown their way before they've done anything to earn it. College athletics is the only place anyone makes an argument that that's actually a good idea.

He could take it as a lesson learned and be thankful that he didn't have to join the military, get paid barely a livable wage, and return home at 21 with permanent disfigurement, a prosthetic, PTSD, and have to battle depression and suicidal ideation every day.
By all means, let's worry about the kid that blew a million bucks.
That person didn’t have to join either

Yeah, it totally makes sense that people have huge sums of money thrown their way before they've done anything to earn it. College athletics is the only place anyone makes an argument that that's actually a good idea.
Come now. Authors, musicians, actors, etc. all get advances. That's how entertainment works.

Interesting and well thought out article here. Basic premise is that NIL will not dramatically change who the top tier programs are as the prior system still promoted outrageous money being spent (legally or illegally) on those programs. Prior it was back room deals, bags, coaches and facilities where the millions were spent. Now its above board and money will flow directly to players. The haves and have nots have always existed and will continue moving forward.

Also, the article points out how the new shiny object will not sustain the numbers currently being spent on players and the dust will begin to settle 5-10 years down the road when people see what works and what doesn't work to build/buy a championship team.

Last, there are plenty of other players (3-stars) who will play for a scholarship to fill in at the other P5 programs for them to continue to exist.

The one thing that it doesn't fully address is the transfer portal and the recruiting players on other teams. That will sting for programs like Syracuse if they find and develop talent and aren't able to retain them after they blow up (Tucker, Jones, etc.). Guys who couldn't command NIL deals coming out of HS but develop into stars on their lower tier P5 programs. I see that as a bigger issue than the author.

Its a paradigm shift for sure. I agree with the author that the overall outcome won't change the winners/losers dramatically. That was in place, in large part, due to money long before NIL.

Last edited:
Good, established ones do.
That's petty. And not even true as a blanket statement.

The kid has established themselves enough based on their athletic accomplishments as a teen.

Interesting and well thought out article here. Basic premise is that NIL will not dramatically change who the top tier programs are as the prior system still promoted outrageous money being spent (legally or illegally) on those programs. Prior it was back room deals, bags, coaches and facilities where the millions were spent. Now its above board and money will flow directly to players. The haves and have nots have always existed an will continue moving forward.

Also, points out how the new shiny object will not sustain the numbers currently being spent on players and the dust will begin to settle 5-10 years down the road when it is seen what works and what doesn't work to build/buy a championship.

Last, there are plenty of other players (3-stars) who will play for a scholarship to fill in at the other P5 programs for them to continue to exist.

The one thing that it doesn't fully address is the transfer portal and the recruiting players on other teams. That will sting for programs like Syracuse if they find and develop talent and aren't able to retain them after they blow up (Tucker, Jones, etc.). Guys who couldn't command NIL deals coming out of HS but develop into stars on their lower tier P5 programs. I see that as a bigger issue than the author.

Its a paradigm shift for sure. I agree with the author that the overall outcome won't change the winners/losers dramatically. That was in place, in large part, due to money long before NIL.

Overall I agree with your points. The one thing I have some disagreement with is the money. I don’t think what was done previously under the table was anything close to what is being done now. I doubt “bags” were in the 100’s of thousands of dollars.

Overall I agree with your points. The one thing I have some disagreement with is the money. I don’t think what was done previously under the table was anything close to what is being done now. I doubt “bags” were in the 100’s of thousands of dollars.

Agreed. Money has exploded in a lot of areas of life including intercollegiate athletics. I think the NIL money will calm down as we move forward and I am hopeful that NFL draft ready players understand there is more money to be made at the next level and don't 1-year transfer over $50,000 to $100,000 if their current school and scheme has put them in a draft ready position. That philosophy would help a school like Syracuse the most.

Also, if NIL was used to retain players versus recruit players, lower P5 schools may be in a position to compete better financially. However, under the current NIL model, without a booster collective of some sort or big-monied individual boosters I'm afraid that our football program will be picked apart in the transfer portal sooner than later.

Just my thoughts.

Come now. Authors, musicians, actors, etc. all get advances. That's how entertainment works.
They get advances after sending transcripts or demos or performing auditions. They're not signing six figure deals based on a short short they wrote in english class, their performance during a chorus concert, or their performance in a high school play. They are generally made to prove themselves to some extent and advances for new artists often start out pretty small. As an aspiring author my wife is pretty familiar with how that particular field works. There are layers of things you have to get through before you get any sort of advance.

It favors a few and harms many. Of all ncaa sports only 30% of the athletes in the portal got scholarships someplace else. Ridiculous NIL amounts make it worse.
Well, that's why I said that the NCAA's big mistake was having NIL and the transfer sit out freebie happen simultaneously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom