The 10 things you currently dislike the most in college basketball | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The 10 things you currently dislike the most in college basketball

1. NCAA's hypocrisy/Amateurism stuff
2. Shot clock too long.
3. Clutching/Grabbing not called consistently or often enough
4. Too many timeouts
5. Seeing players leave sooner than I want. (no bitterness, it just sucks).
6. Our rivals are BC and Pitt instead of Duke and Louisville.

Rumour is that some loser is going to turn this into a bracket. Keep them coming. If you have already made a list, pick another 3 that you have seen posted that you really liked.

The RPI is hard at work sorting through your responses.

1. How teams can ride opponents body on defense outside the three point line.
2. How teams can ride opponents in the lane. Either get in front of them take the charge, or don't ride them at all.
3. Charges being called a personal foul instead of just a turnover.
4. going to final fours but not winning titles.
5. Stepping out of bounce not being able to be reviewed late in games.
6. The fact that we have had two one seeds both losing a key player right before march(one was elite 8), Two final fours besides those, and a three seed in the last Five years yet we can't seal up a 9th scholorship player right now. That may be the best resume in the country over a 5 year span. Actually it probably is.
7. Ncaa ruling on Diagne, their gross illegal treatment they had on Obokoh. Both were screwed while others in the same exact situation were allowed.
8. JB hasn't got his wins back yet and Dean Smith won't lose any wins.
9. Need more northeast teams in the acc tournament so the acc north can have it in the garden.
10. The dome needs more students all around the court to be more hostile.

1. UK, D-League, fake academics BS and the GPR "formula" that allows the farce to continue;
2. The consistent incapacity of college officials to swallow their whistle when a guard runs down the court and runs into a big with his hands up;
3. Raycom;
4. The NCAA;
5. Yukon and Pitt;
6. Fox/MSG for using SU fans as bait in their stupid cable war with TWC;
7. Buzz Williams being on the court the entire game and running encampments during TO's.

1. 4 10 minute quarters should be the playing format not 2 20 minute halfs.
2. Players should be able to wear a jersey with a 6-9 numeral in it.
3. Refs are awful and not consistent in college basketball. They can't call the block/charge correctly.
4. The possession arrow sucks. Just do jumpballs its the 21st century games shouldn't be decided late by the arrow.
5. College coaches on the court. I hate Jamie Dixon, Buzz Williams coaches standing on the court.
6. The NCAA making 800 million dollars from CBS/Turner for the NCAAT and the players not getting any of it.
7. The game becoming too defense orientated because of early entries.
8. Cupcake schedules. Teams should be play better teams in nonconference. Fans want good games not cupcakes.
9. Conference realignment killing good rivalries.
10. Joe Lunardi being considered a bracketolgist he knows nothing.

Tried to think of some not mentioned

Showboating/hanging on the rim
Neon shoes
Oregon's court
Under armour uniforms
Mark Emerett
Ethics of all sorts
Ticket prices
Mid range jumpers:(
Weird Big East
Big Ten brand of hoops

I also don't like it when kids won't get off my lawn.

Last edited:
1. Inconsistent charge / block calls.
2. Referees not calling the game the same way on both sides of the court.
3. Any referee showing emotion when making a call. Especially a referee making an overly animated block or charge call during a high stakes game favoring the home crowd (as if he's their for their entertainment and he thinks they are cheering for him!)
4. NCAA, politically motivated rule enforcement, UNC getting away with murder, wins taken away from JB
5. ACC announcers who get our player's names wrong and saying the same old 2-3 zone cliches.
6. Playing at Cameron
7. Not having a student section in the Dome shown on TV with students jumping wild when the other team has the ball.
8. NBA stealing CBB players before their Junior year
9. Players not getting a stipend bonus for each game they play in the NCAA tournament
10. JB retiring, I'm going to miss him dearly.

Last edited:
1. Inconsistent charge / block calls.
2. Referees not calling the game the same way on both sides of the court.
3. Any referee showing emotion when making a call. Especially a referee making an overly animated block or charge call during a high stakes game favoring the home crowd (as if he's their for their entertainment and he thinks they are cheering for him!)
4. NCAA, politically motivated rule enforcement, UNC getting away with murder, wins taken away from JB
5. ACC announcers who get our player's names wrong and saying the same old 2-3 zone cliches.
6. Playing at Cameron
7. Not having a student section in the Dome shown on TV with students jumping wild when the other team has the ball.
8. NBA stealing CBB players before their Junior year
9. Players not getting a stipend bonus for each game they play in the NCAA tournament
10. JB retiring, I'm going to miss him dearly.

One more even though it probably never happen:

11. Players being able to return to finish out their CBB eligibility after 2 years in the NBA if a scholarship is available

I just like the idea of players having opportunity to get a college degree for the rest of the life the NBA does not work out for them.

One more even though it probably never happen:

11. Players being able to return to finish out their CBB eligibility after 2 years in the NBA if a scholarship is available

I just like the idea of players having opportunity to get a college degree for the rest of the life the NBA does not work out for them.

As I've mentioned to you before, they all have the opportunity to get a degree if the NBA doesn't work out for them. I'd watch the NBA more if I wanted to see pro players.

As I've mentioned to you before, they all have the opportunity to get a degree if the NBA doesn't work out for them. I'd watch the NBA more if I wanted to see pro players.

Of course they could pay for it themselves. I would also like to see better players in CBB.

1) Coaches are bigger stars than the players. Cult of coaching personality has gone too far
2) Officials inability to enforce the rules, and lack of accountability for screwing up said rules
3) Players inability to shoot from 2 point range
4) APR or any faux academic policy put in place by NCAA to keep up the guise of student athletes.
5) TV timeouts.
6) related to 2 but seeing the same 10 officials do pretty much every game we play
7) Quality of play is not good most nights.
8) more college sports than hoops - but blatant double standard NCAA has for certain schools that are untouchable
9) $ being earned is obscene. Personal opinion but it doesn't sit well with me that the players get nothing, but of course a fabulous education.
10) Technology has made the game more enjoyable if you are not at the venue. Another personal opinion only but hoops seems to be the one sport that I find less and less appealing live as compared to my big screen.

Of course they could pay for it themselves. I would also like to see better players in CBB.

I'd rather add new names to our legendary history than have guys who have already had their turn use up those spots. We'll never agree on this so agree to disagree.

1) AAU Basketball Environment
2) Dick Vitale
3) Possession Arrow
4) Non-NBA 3 point line

5) Raised Courts
6) Courts in NFL Stadiums
7) Tobacco Road bias in NCAA tournament site selection
8) Excessive TV timeouts
9) Excessive timeouts at the end of half/game

10) halfcourt stall-ball

1. All things Georgetown
2. NCAA playing favorites
3. Doug Gottlieb
4. Coaches on the court not getting a technical
5. Carrying the ball not being called
6. Keith Smart
7. Bobby Knight
8. CaliPitino (is there really much of a difference?)
9. Duke Fans
10. Raftery, McDonough and Bilas aren't together anymore

1) AAU Basketball Environment
2) Dick Vitale
3) Possession Arrow
4) Non-NBA 3 point line

5) Raised Courts
6) Courts in NFL Stadiums
7) Tobacco Road bias in NCAA tournament site selection
8) Excessive TV timeouts
9) Excessive timeouts at the end of half/game

10) halfcourt stall-ball

I'd rather add new names to our legendary history than have guys who have already had their turn use up those spots. We'll never agree on this so agree to disagree.

It's not one of my better ideas anyway.

#1 - The NCAA
#2 - Duke
#3 - Coach K
#4 - UConn
#5 - John Calipari
#6 - UNC
#7 - Grayson Allen
#8 - Joe Lunardi
#9 - Jamie Dixon
#10 - Doug Gottlieb

It was hard to cut to 10, and I am sure there will be some that I want to change later. There will be a chance after this initial polling.

UNC ahead of Gottlieb and Georgetown?!!??! WHAT? WHY? UNC is not that hated, in general.

8. the way Rick Pitino dresses. Who wears a white suit?
He only does that to get in the spirit of "white-out" Louisville home games when everyone is wearing white. Very infrequent. It is a bit strange looking though.

My top five...

1. The fact that we only have 1 National Championship
2. The fact that Yukon has four National Championships
3. The fact that I'm married to a woman who is a huuuuuuge Dook fan. That's really tough. What makes it even worse is that her entire family went to Dook so I constantly have to hear them talk about how great they are and how Coach K is a god.
4. Boeheim retiring
5. Us no longer being referred to as the Orangemen or Orangewomen. What a damn shame!

I think most of my pet peeves were covered so I'll add ones I didn't see:
1. coaches have way too many time outs to use
2. the fact that conference tourneys get an auto bid instead of the reg season champ
3. the fact that the word bracketology exists and the fact that there are people who have made careers out of such a thing
4. the hold the ball for 25 seconds philosophy and muck it up on D strategy that the have nots have adopted to take down the haves

af7361e9-411b-3c1c-b066-7a202cb90bc8.jpg

Surprised so many people hate the possession arrow. You'd prefer jump balls? Why?

A guard who makes a great defensive play against a center is penalized for lack of height. The jump toss is not a precise thing. And there's usually BS going on below, with arms and bodies. And/or someone tips it before the apex... The jump ball is just a bit of silly drama.

Surprised so many people hate the possession arrow. You'd prefer jump balls? Why?

A guard who makes a great defensive play against a center is penalized for lack of height. The jump toss is not a precise thing. And there's usually BS going on below, with arms and bodies. And/or someone tips it before the apex... The jump ball is just a bit of silly drama.

I agree. The jump ball is often not properly executed by the ref and is a waste of time. I would tweak the rules where in certain situations the defence that ties it up gets the possession. Either tweak or keep the arrow.

But the possession arrow is running strong in this thread, and is currently projected to be a #3 seed. With a currently projected #14 seed like too many commercials, it could be in for an upset in my view.

UNC ahead of Gottlieb and Georgetown?!!??! WHAT? WHY? UNC is not that hated, in general.

I can only rank them how I feel. I don't like Georgetown, but they have never been that prominent since I really became a fan of college basketball in 1992. I also think I developed more as an NCAA fan early on,, than a Big East fan. So while I hate those rivals, I may not have that same passion for Big East rivals. Instead I hate the blue bloods more.

And as the list reflects my current hatred levels, UNC is higher for me than before because of the current scandal. UNC would not be here 4 years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom