The 1987 Undefeated Season (Video) | Syracusefan.com

The 1987 Undefeated Season (Video)

I might be the only Syracuse fan alive that didn't hold it against Pat Dye. it wasn't like they were at the 4 yard line. They were at about the 12. That is a hard make.

I might be the only Syracuse fan alive that didn't hold it against Pat Dye. it wasn't like they were at the 4 yard line. They were at about the 12. That is a hard make.
i was just as upset that we did not go for a first down, earlier as bednarz said. that said it was a great season. wonderful coach and great team.

Second that. I mean if they win the game outright it would have been even more painful because they still don't finish #1. It was a weird finish to a season but didn't change anything in 1988 terms.

Second that. I mean if they win the game outright it would have been even more painful because they still don't finish #1. It was a weird finish to a season but didn't change anything in 1988 terms.

Yeah we still don't finish #1 with the win but 12-0 looks much better than 11-0-1 - not that 11-0-1 is ugly or anything.

Baffles me that college football didn't have overtime lol

Man I loved doug Logan on the call...

Jim Ridlon hasn't calmed down yet.

0.jpg

or 11-1

I confess I had images of their big end, Lawyer Tillman, leaping to grab a winning TD. When they brought the field goal team on, I was surprised but i realized we were them guaranteed an undefeated season.

Then I started shouting "Block that kick!"

I confess I had images of their big end, Lawyer Tillman, leaping to grab a winning TD. When they brought the field goal team on, I was surprised but i realized we were them guaranteed an undefeated season.

Then I started shouting "Block that kick!"

SWC, if they win the game and finish 12-0 does Syracuse even get to #2 in the country? I wonder where we finish in that scenario

SWC, if they win the game and finish 12-0 does Syracuse even get to #2 in the country? I wonder where we finish in that scenario

Pre-Bowl rankings:
1. Miami (11-0)
2. Oklahoma (11-0)
3. FSU (10-1) Only loss was to Miami
4. Syracuse (11-0)

Miami finished 1, and FSU finished 2.

FSU beat #5 Nebraska in their bowl.

SU would have jumped Oklahoma and made it to 3.

Miami was 12-0 #1. Oklahoma was 11-1 and lost by 6 to Miami. Florida State was 11-1 and lost by 1 to Miami. Would we have done better? I think we stay #4 with a win and drop 5-6 places if we lost.

Miami was 12-0 #1. Oklahoma was 11-1 and lost by 6 to Miami. Florida State was 11-1 and lost by 1 to Miami. Would we have done better? I think we stay #4 with a win and drop 5-6 places if we lost.

What was the history behind us getting the invite to the Sugar? If we had played Miami in the Orange Bowl and won, do we at that point become #1? Just wondering how everyone considered the implications of accepting Sugar at the time.

What was the history behind us getting the invite to the Sugar? If we had played Miami in the Orange Bowl and won, do we at that point become #1? Just wondering how everyone considered the implications of accepting Sugar at the time.

Orange Bowl was Big 8 Champ vs Independent.

Sugar Bowl was SEC Champ vs Independent.

Since the Orange Bowl had the higher ranked champ (Oklahoma at #2), they got 1st pick and took Miami (#1).

It wasn't possible for us to play Miami in a bowl under the system in place back then.

Orange Bowl was Big 8 Champ vs Independent.

Sugar Bowl was SEC Champ vs Independent.

Since the Orange Bowl had the higher ranked champ (Oklahoma at #2), they got 1st pick and took Miami (#1).

It wasn't possible for us to play Miami in a bowl under the system in place back then.

So if Oklahoma picked Syracuse things would have been much more interesting in that scenario? Interesting. Thanks for the history for us "started following team in 90s" folk

So if Oklahoma picked Syracuse things would have been much more interesting in that scenario? Interesting. Thanks for the history for us "started following team in 90s" folk

The Orange Bowl had a chance for a 1 v 2 matchup.

They wouldn't have picked 2 vs 4 (or 2 vs 3 if they picked FSU).

And Miami was a guaranteed sellout.

I doubt it was Oklahoma's choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom